Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago in reference to the vararam intake system. Apparently the filters that come on this intake are pretty crappy. I don't want my intake sucking in any deposits from the road. I'm looking for an all around intake system that will boast good horsepower gains while staying relatively reliable/durable. What do you guys think? What's just as good or better than the vararam?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a Donaldson Blackwing and could tell absoutely no difference from stock with a K&N filter. I hear alot of people like the zip-tie mod and they claim to get great results. For me, I am staying with the stock set-up. :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Remove your air box and attach a cone style filter directly to the MAF.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
yellowvette said:
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago in reference to the vararam intake system. Apparently the filters that come on this intake are pretty crappy. I don't want my intake sucking in any deposits from the road. I'm looking for an all around intake system that will boast good horsepower gains while staying relatively reliable/durable. What do you guys think? What's just as good or better than the vararam?
Do what I did and buy one from FRC Tom. His CAI system is easy to install and good for 20 HP. according to the Dyno chart I read.

·
Registered
186 Posts
halltech trap here, none of the concerns of taking in water like some other ones, i picked up 30 at the wheels with a trap and ls1 edit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Add the K&N Filter to it!

Vararam dropped my air temperature at the manifold to +1 degree above ambient while on the move. That was benefit enough for me, considering the average manifold temperature is +10 or more degrees without it! :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I took the lid off my stock air cleaner housing. Then I turned the bottom half upside down. I cut a hole for it in the plastic that sits under the filter housing. I use the stock filter that is now completly open to the bottom side of the plastic piece.

I now have an almost free (except for my time) cold air intake with the filter completly open to the air coming to the radiator. ;)

You can use the stock filter or any replacement that fits the stock housing. :z:

·
Registered
895 Posts
My Vararam came with a K&N filter. Don't recall who I bought it from, LAPD I think!

Also put a hood seal (used the same seal as on each side) on the front edge.

Haven't had any probelms.

Steve

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
terry schulze said:
I took the lid off my stock air cleaner housing. Then I turned the bottom half upside down. I cut a hole for it in the plastic that sits under the filter housing. I use the stock filter that is now completly open to the bottom side of the plastic piece.

I now have an almost free (except for my time) cold air intake with the filter completly open to the air coming to the radiator. ;)

You can use the stock filter or any replacement that fits the stock housing. :z:
That's a good idea. I never heard of this before... where have I been? :-?

Alex :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
yellowvette said:

I dont see whats wrong with the filter or anything about the vararam as well, I think those are only opinions...

to be honest everyone said that the vararam is a long and hard install, which is a good opinion, and I never have done any kinda of work on cars except oil change and It took me 4 hours and no curse words and no headaches to install, but no pain no gain , right?

as far as the filter , so far so good, the cars is running rich and pulled only 356rwhp, but the ram air effect on top end is incredible, Some might say ram air effect doesnt exist, I could care less, ram air or not, that thing hauls A$$ from top of 2nd and on :coo:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just installed the Vararam. I too don't like the filter that came with it. I just got my K&N yesterday and am sealing to the lid in a bed of silicone. I think you can clean the filter while still in the lid by removing the lid so that is my plan and I'm sticking to it.

With the number of posts I see on different forums, you would think that a new filter would come out for it, as almost everyone seems to be concerned about the filtering ability of the one that comes with it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I saw an average of 2 mph on my traps with the Vararam.....

Just my experience.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
BQuicksilver said:
agreed, though I have 25k on my VR with "crappy filter" and have had zero issue.
Yep, 15K here. Foam filters are not new and have been used for years in high dust situations. The key is to get the "street version" which has a small pore size and oil the filter well. And clean the thing throughly every 3,000 miles. Foam filters require maintenance, if you are not willing to do this then a K&N is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts