Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
well... I installed my halltech stinger intake, 2 days later, check engine... so i guess I will proceed with cutting a hole in the engine shroud.

I know a few have talked about putting a scoop of some kind, i still can not find any links to this, nothing on the halltech site either.

I found this air scoop...its a bit bigger than i was looking for, its about 7" x 8" but at least it has a grill in the front, and it looks like it might fit nicely since its slanted, and it has a nice 2" flange all around, so all i have to do is cut a hole in the engine shroud, pop rivet it in, put some silicone around the flange.

good idea? yes? no? or should i just cut a hole 6x6 and forget about this scoop thing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Several years ago a few made a mod like this and then ran scan logs. They found out the Hole in the shroud should be al least 1" larger on all side than the filter. Also, the cover should be completely sealed to keep out engine air. This keeps the problems of surging and poping from rich/lean at idle and decel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gordy...

thanks for the insight.

I am not building a "vortex" type system. I know the vortex has a cover surrounding the filter that will prevent any hot engine air being sucked in by the intake, and then a hole is cut in the shroud so it can take air from the radiator bay.

The scoop i show above would be placed underneath the shroud, pointing downwards. My idea was that fresh air would be scooped up by this grill, and be available for the intake. I figure by putting this scoop under the shroud, the air flow air flow would be less turblent than by just cutting a 6x6" hole in the shroud. The only thing I am worried about is how much water would be sucked in as well on a rainy day.

·
Registered
138 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
Hi Gordy...

thanks for the insight.

I am not building a "vortex" type system. I know the vortex has a cover surrounding the filter that will prevent any hot engine air being sucked in by the intake, and then a hole is cut in the shroud so it can take air from the radiator bay.

The scoop i show above would be placed underneath the shroud, pointing downwards. My idea was that fresh air would be scooped up by this grill, and be available for the intake. I figure by putting this scoop under the shroud, the air flow air flow would be less turblent than by just cutting a 6x6" hole in the shroud. The only thing I am worried about is how much water would be sucked in as well on a rainy day.
If I may ask..........where did you find the piece in you pic? looks pretty sweet.

I have a few pics of whats on my car at home. I will post them up 2night for you to see. Basically, it took the existing shroud and modified it without adding any new plastic. I cut out a pattern, bolted up the bracket and ended up with a 4" (mouth) that collects cold air from the lower front air dam and funnels it towards my blackwing. It looks factory to me

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J.N.F.
If you post pics of your air-scoop thing, that would be great thanks!!

Umm... well that air scoop picture above, its top secret, and i plan to sell them for $29.95.... hehe...j/k ..... that scoop is actually a vent exhaust for roof ventilation applications. I picked that up while i was purchasing some ventilation suppliers (I am in construction, so if anyone needs buidling advice or any construction type question, i am the guy to ask!!). It is made of a very sturdy yet pliable plastic, and i think it will withstand high windspeeds and not break into pieces.

I also tryed placing it temporarly by just holding it under the radiator bay, and it fits nicelyand it doesn't touch the radiator at all.

I am still debating if i should install it or not... i don't think many guys here with the halltech or other intakes have cut their shrouds...

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Water injestion has been a huge topic over the years.

The plastic ls6 manifold does not atomize the water molecules supposedly and could be an issue.

I'd suggest you not do it just based on all the hoopla from the past.

(good idea but i'd suggest passing on this one if you drive in deep water etc)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts