Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking at the 05s Wednesday, I found out that the dealership had just taken in a lease return on a Silver 02 Z06. VERY clean and less than 15,000 on it. Now while talking to some of my friends, he has a 2001 Z06, I am in need of the owners manuel and other goodies. I have done a search but was unable to find anything. The previous owner does not or cannot find anything. I did find the original window sticker in the back trunk :) Yet I am told that their is much to learn about this car!!!
The only concern to this date is the noise I am hearing from the exhaust, sounds like marbles ratteling around? Ideas?? Other than that WOW!!!
Looking forward to many discussions on this board and thanks for ideas and help!!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
The rattle is probably the rear clutch...

I don't really notice it....Just make sure when you turn the car off...The clutch is depressed in and the marble noise should be gone...

33grand? Sounds about right.

Good luck.

JB

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i think the exhaust jingle has a TSB they weld something in the exhasut to fix that problem if you still got warranty take it in to dealership.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
There is no rear clutch. The clutch is in the same position as all cars. There is more drive-train rattle in these cars especially with the car in neutral and the clutch out because the entire drive shaft is spinning still.

There is also an exhause "jingle" that some complain about. I never had it and scrapped the stock exhaust (all of it) for Kooks headers and Borla Stingers very quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas and help. I do have an extended warrenty! Looking forward to cruising Central Calif and even heading to the coast next weekend!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Wanna meet at Alice's next weekend and talk shop? Owner's manual should be something you can purchase from GM parts. Try GM Part Direct for discount pricing (but they get you on shipping). Actually, I can't believe a fellow owner (before you) "lost" the owners manual. You should make HIM pay you back to buy a new one. There's also a special C5 Z06 DVD that came with the car when new. Did he "lose" that too?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Like dsinn says, hard to believe he "lost" the owners manual. It's in a real nice leatherish notebook, with a bunch of ZO6 specific goodies. Also should have the video,and such. Make sure you got the tire inflator kit that's in the trunk, too. It's expensive to replace, and a must-have. I bought mine used with only 165 miles on the odometer, but was lucky to have all the original stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thnks for the info, but "she" stills says she lost the book and all other info. There is also NO tire inflater. So this is what happens when you have always wanted a Z06 and jump into it not knowing the details. But still no regrets - it is alot more fun to drive than my last vehicle (2003 Ford Mustang Cobra) Yet I am willing to do what it takes to get this info. I do have a few guests that visit my restaurant that did or do have 01, 02 and 03 Z06 info I can learn from. (Maybe copy)
This vehicle was a lease return with 15,000 as stated above. EXCELLENT shape and beautiful!! Yet absolutly no info other than original sticker sheet. Thats ok though.. I will be probably asking alot of questions!!
As for Alice's - I am not sure where that is. I am located in Fresno/Clovis area but I am game for a road trip!
Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy new, or at least from someone you can verify the useage of the car....There are people who think its ok to shift without a clutch , in this forum no less...You just don't know what the car has been through..Just my 2 cents worth.. :cool:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
dbvettez061 said:
Do yourself a favor and buy new, or at least from someone you can verify the useage of the car....There are people who think its ok to shift without a clutch , in this forum no less...You just don't know what the car has been through..Just my 2 cents worth.. :cool:
There is some good advice above

What ever you buy make sure it has at least 6 months of factory warranty left on it. :cheers:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Exaust jingle and rattle with the clutch engaged in neutral are two different issues. Mine did the exaust jingle for a while but has stopped (I miss it) the rattle is gone also but I still have the rattle at shut down, valve train, I think.
As for the I lost or never had the inflater kit or the manual and CD, maybe the dealer or salesman has or had possession of the aforesaid. There are a bunch of thiefs involved in the car sales business if you haven't noticed.
As for getting them, do an Ebay search and perhaps the thiefs are dumb enough to put them up for sale.
Aside from that, Welcome to the board and congradulations on your purchase.
Enjoy the beast. :ity:
MHO

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Alice's (Restaurtant) is near the Coast in San Mateo County, at the intersection of Skyline Blvd and Woodside Road heading West toward La Honda. It's a well known hangout for motorcycle and sports car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First off- I will be visiting the dealership concerning the MANY items that I am realizing I am missing :-? Probably will get no results just letting them know of the unhappiness of the situation. I have contacted GM Parts and will get the items needed. Thanks for the heads up on that!
As for Alice's- Thanks for the info and let me know the next visit and I can make this our first road trip in the Z. :jammin:
Then on another note: Since getting the Z my wife has decided wanted a C-5. Always wanting a Red Convertible, kids gone= 99 Red Convertible Auto. :eyes: Must say though it is nice!! Now on a road trip - which to drive? Mine of course! :cheers:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I can't say what happened to the owner's manual because that should stay in the glove box, unless of course you pop it out for some good reading. The tire inflator on the other hand could have been used and never replaced. It wouldn't seem far from possible that the previous owner discarded it after use as with the manual. Good luck with the new car and have fun!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Silver2002Z06 said:
First off- I will be visiting the dealership concerning the MANY items that I am realizing I am missing :-? Probably will get no results just letting them know of the unhappiness of the situation. I have contacted GM Parts and will get the items needed. Thanks for the heads up on that!
As for Alice's- Thanks for the info and let me know the next visit and I can make this our first road trip in the Z. :jammin:
Then on another note: Since getting the Z my wife has decided wanted a C-5. Always wanting a Red Convertible, kids gone= 99 Red Convertible Auto. :eyes: Must say though it is nice!! Now on a road trip - which to drive? Mine of course! :cheers:

WOW! two Corvettes in the family. You just keep making good decisions. :yeadog: Be careful though, she may want the same mods on her car that you put on yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The MOD issue will not happen - she is the sensible one in the family. Although she is quietly waiting until I begin mine because she knows it is only inevitable.
As for the rattle- the parts have been ordered and day scheduled to fix it.
As for the missing items- Used Car Manager is going to try to replace the items mentioned, of course try and actually doing are 2 different things. I will try to be optimistic!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You're not missing much.

If you've go an early '02 with wheel locks, make sure you can find the key. The early lugnuts had plastic covers and locks. The later version was stainless steel nuts and no locks. Cars built after 2/25/02 or so didn't get the locks

The owner's video used to be downloadable. Try a search.

The tire inflator kit is nice, but fix a flat and a 12VDC air compressor do the same thing.

Kinda hard to find new C5 Z06's nowadays... :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The jingle fix involves cutting out and replacing a section of the exhaust pipe, btw. No biggie if they've got a chain cutter and some experience. A search will get more info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts