Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in making your own partition. I wanted one but didn't want to spring the $360-400 for the partition sold by several vendors, or not satisfied by the $99 one from Ecklers. I made my own Sunday, will post pictures tomarrow morning.
Suppiles
1" Styrofoam, a approx 8x3.5 feet piece from Lowes, $6.28
- this is the heaviest duty piece they had, enough material for 2 partitions
-FRY, dispite its size, I fit it in my Honda Civic Sedan, clears by about 1 inch with all seats folded down, touching windshield in front to back of trunk.
Black Replacment Carpet, Ozide brand from Walmart $7.97
-very good match to factory carpet, can't tell the difference, enough material for 1 unit
Guno? Spray Adhisve, from Walmart $3.24
-Enough spray for several units, in retrospect other types of glues would be just as good or better, like contact cement or such

Total $17.49

Other tools/supplies:

Box cutter and 2 blades
1 Ink pen
Spare piece of cardboard for template (I used a broken down RCA DVD box)

About the template I made:
It completely seals the rear off, so its a tight fit. I takes alot of trimming before carpeting to fit this tight. I choice not to fasten down, it is tight enough that it has stayed in place so far, altought I may velcrow it later.

Simple Directions:
1- Put the Passenger seat all the way up and fold up to get enough room to work in.
2- Make 1st template (cardboard) - I made a small timplate to get the curves on the one side down
3- 2nd template - Used first template and measurements to get the final full-size template cut, then trim to make sure its an exack fit.
3- Foam partition - Used the final template to cut the foam. Will likely requires some fine triming to get it exactly, if you want a very tight fit like I did. Cutting - cut at small depts first then bigger depths, to get a smooth fininsh. The blade I was using cut around 85% though at max, the rest will break clean.
4- Carpeting- spray carpet and foam with adhisive, cut out carpet, fold and do the same to the tother side. This leaves you having to fold over carpent along the top and side edges, however the spray adhisive is not strong enough to hold this, so I left mine with carpet just on both sides and the bottom. I haven't deside what to do with the top yet, I though of just covering with black electrical tape (so you couldn't see any blue looking into the edge), but I think I'm going to cut a small piece of carpet and use contack cement or such for a stronger bond on the small peice.

Results: a good improvement in road noise, will also proabably improve the AC/Heat effectiveness (smaller area), and sound system (smaller area and less road noise). The block partition is nice for me also, b/c I like to put my CD cases back there, but without the partition, they would slide to back out of reach.

Pics

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this info.

Looks like an inexpensive way to achieve similar results for all you do-it-yourselfers... :)

Me? I sprung for the new Red/ Black partition from Nate... true quality and looks great too!

Damn... I gotta get some pics up like I promised! :(

What can I say? I'm a slacker... :lol:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nice... thanks.

Can you elaborate on the sound reduction... is it dramatic? somewhat noticable? minimal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
ncvetteman,

Nice job! :cool: Thanks for the great post. I've been thinking about making one with the pink insulation boards from Owens Corning. You can get them in 1" and 2" thickness, real nice stuff that doesn't crumble like the plain polystyrene boards.

I'm also curious, how much this cut down on road noise? I drive on concrete roads everyday at around 80 MPH... at that speed on concrete the tire noise is pretty bad!

Did it help much? Ultimately I would like to cancel the tire noise and but still hear the sweet exhaust "music".

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Nice DIY! Welcome to the forum, and don't forget to register your zip code on the "locator" thread to find other members near you. :)

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, some answers:

Comparison with the $350-400 piece from Nate and other vendors. First, Nate's great- I got a great deal on a used B&B exhaust from him, almost felt bad getting it so cheap and its great he has offered that partition cheaper than other sources. I'm sure its "better" in some whys than the one I made, but I was unwilling to spring that type of money for it. The one I made is cheap $$, and provides much the same benefit.

Road noice reduction- There is a noticeable decrease in road noise. A OK-Good decrease, but not great-dramatic. Its judgement thing, but my wife and I both though it was quiter, particularly in tire and road noise. It obviously doen't affect engine noice, maybe the exhaust (from my B&Bs)noice is a little quiter but not much difference.

Supjectively, the radio sounds better. In theory, the reduction in road noice and the fact that there is now less space inside for the radio and heating/air to fill, sould mean it will be easier to heat and cool the car and the radio should sound better.

"I've been thinking about making one with the pink insulation boards from Owens Corning. You can get them in 1" and 2" thickness, real nice stuff that doesn't crumble like the plain polystyrene boards"

Go with the 1", the 2" will stick out to much on the top/front. The only way to get a 2" size to work is to make it out of 2 1" pieces, with the back piece being smaller so it can fit in the smaller area, see pics or check your car to see what I'm talking about. The 1" styrofoam from Lowes is very strong, and doesn't crumble.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Materials update from questions I've been getting via email:

Carpet: May not be at all Wal-marts from what I hear now, look under/near the floor mats in automotive. A local upolsery shop or such probably has some generic black carpet they will sell you a peice of, you can carry in your carpeted storage cover to make sure its a close match.

Adhesive: I used the spray type, Guno from walmart $3.24. Walmart also has 3m for high $5s, Lowes has Elmers for $3.86 and 3m for $11. It works, but other types of adhesives will work just as good or better, especially if you wish to cover the edges. Like industrial "clear" silicon, my father sells this and I've used it before for other needs, very strong. It applies like house calck?. Contact cement, small jars at at lowes for $3-4, it can be applyed with a paint brush or roller. All-purpose adhesive "gell type" from Lowes, $2-4, comes in tubes (like toothpaste).

Foam: You really need to use 1" thick foam, the 1" blue syrofoam from Lowes was perfect. It is firm/hard, anythink thicker/heaver would be to hard to cut with a razor blade, so you would have a hard time doing fine trimming.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is a great idea!! :cool: Being a little on the cheap side, I too hate to spring the $$$. Sherylann has one, which I haven't had a chance to install yet. Hopefully I will get it done this weekend.

I wonder if Ford's black carpet matches well?? :sneaky: I think I will have the carpenters make me one here at work. :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re-Evaluated

I have re-evaluated having the carpenters at work make me a partion. :)

Although we have high quality craftsmen who can make anything, I took a REALLY good look at Andys partition today when I got home from work. I too was reluctant to spend $300-400, but the quality of his unit is #1!! If you really scrutinize what goes into making this unit, you have to really appreciate Andy's work. The partition is built in 2 parts and then apparantly glued together. It definitely looks like it was factory built. I'm impressed!! I really don't think the quality of this unit can be duplicated at home.

Not a flame, just an honest evaluation. :)

Too bad Sherylann took it. :cry:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
ncvetteman,

Great Posts! I have wanted to give this a try as well. I have some sound soak material from work that I was going to use. If I ever get off my lazy A$$ maybe I'll get it done... Otherwise I'll have to spring for one of Andy's:guiness:

WHich wouldn't be that bad, except for all the beers I might miss drinking :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Problems with lesser quality -

I know that most of the guys on this forum and other forums have contacts for making something cheaper ,Hell I thought I was a plumber last week .(bad idea).I got real close to what I considered perfection and them it broke.Well ,I called a professional and he charged me full retail on everything and now I am glad I spent the money.Understand that I COULD HAVE SAVED MONEY ON THE PARTS TO FIX MY PROBLEM.(Loews is right across the street) I instead feel I made a wise choice .

I am very hard to please ,which makes me my worst enemy when it comes to making a product that is satisfactory in all aspects.I try real hard now with a small group of guys to build the best possible product you can buy (Hence the price)I also dont mind competition ,I have bought what is available from other vendors and have compared .Well it really makes me sad, to see others try so HARD to do what I created 2 yrs ago ,I have made only one change in 2 yrs -To make it removable.1 change in 2 yrs is not bad.Lets hope the cheaper ones out there satisfy the want of all buyers, and that they dont have to make big changes to keep up.Or maybe someone will make one that cost more than mine thats even better.

Just my 2 cents here.

Andy
ZO6 PARTS INC. www.zo6parts.com
Dallas Tx
:cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
If anyone is interested, I am drawing up a template for the partition in AutoCAD from a trace another member at Z06vette.com (Gmblack3) sent me. That way I can eamil it to those with AutoCAD, or print up a bunch of copies on my plotter and just mail them out.
I recieved the trace, but won't have time to draft it into the CAD program until monday or tuesday. If anybody is interested just drop me an email ([email protected])
I have a couple of neat ideas I hope to try (if time allows), I'll document it all and let you know how it goes.

Later,
Dugan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
catphish said:
If anyone is interested, I am drawing up a template for the partition in AutoCAD from a trace another member at Z06vette.com (Gmblack3) sent me. That way I can eamil it to those with AutoCAD, or print up a bunch of copies on my plotter and just mail them out.
I recieved the trace, but won't have time to draft it into the CAD program until monday or tuesday. If anybody is interested just drop me an email ([email protected])
I have a couple of neat ideas I hope to try (if time allows), I'll document it all and let you know how it goes.

Later,
Dugan
If you send me one, I can print it out on my plotter and check the accuracy with my template. [email protected]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, i'm almost certain I'm going with plywood, unless I can find some REALLY sturdy foam. McMaster Carr has some closed cell foam I might look into.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm going to try to get something going around here with my club and the partition.

·
Registered
96 Posts
NCvetteman,
I just emailed you my first attempt at a template. I'm sure it will still need major revisions, but this is what I was able to draw from the trace i recieved.
Thanks,
Dugan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
catphish said:
NCvetteman,
I just emailed you my first attempt at a template. I'm sure it will still need major revisions, but this is what I was able to draw from the trace i recieved.
Thanks,
Dugan
Got it. I'm going to get of our engineers to plot it and I'll let you know tomarrow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ncvetteman

If you haven't printed up that first drawing i sent you, don't bother. I've already made so many changes it won't do me any good. The new drawing is done and I'll make a mock up tommorrow. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain here tommorrow so I won't be able to check it out in my car till tommorrow night.
-Dugan

GO BEARS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: ncvetteman

catphish said:
If you haven't printed up that first drawing i sent you, don't bother. I've already made so many changes it won't do me any good. The new drawing is done and I'll make a mock up tommorrow. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain here tommorrow so I won't be able to check it out in my car till tommorrow night.
-Dugan

GO BEARS
Thanks... haven't had time to look at it, sorry. Its been very hectic at work due to a couple critical updates and the new variant of the Magistar virus.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts