1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm interested. Are you trying to rent the track for Z owners?

That would be great. FATT includes class time. Is it possible to avoid this if you qualify?

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zebra,

I'll find out all the different options. I was thinking initially to get a group together to fill the slots on a FATT. And if there wasn't enough interest then at least we could all register for the same session.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cool. Keep me posted. If everyone wants to do FATT, that's great. We might be able to do Seat Time also. You do have to have some qualificaitons though. No big deal.

Stay in touch!:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why wait? There are 2 more events this year, 11/30 & 12/14. For those of you who don't know, it takes several FATTs to reach solo status. Why is solo status important? Generally, you will have fewer cars on the track with you during FATTS and you also are allowed to participate in SEAT days where there are only 2 classes: street & competition prepared (they run separately), and fewer cars yet. FATTS allow 4 sessions a day; SEAT usually allows 6 session a day. SEAT sessions are generally 5 minutes longer (25 vs 20). FATT allows you to take an instructor along when you want; SEAT provides no instructors. Solo qualified, I like FATT for instructor availability. I know when I not getting the smoothness or results I want in any part of the track and it is nice to be able to take a more experienced instructor out and get their help. For days when I just want to practice and do track time, SEAT suits me best.

Everyone starts out in the Novice Group 1a. You generally spend a day in 1a, another day in 1b, then you qualify for Group 2I. Note, that all along the way, you are graded at the end of each session by an instructor. You don't move up until an instructor signs off on your performance. I think you'll find that it generally takes 4 FATTS to finally get signed off for solo. The following is an excerpt from an e-mail I received from a friend who is an instructor at the Point. Since I hadn't been to the track in 1 1/2 years, I thought I would need to get signed off again. As It turned out, I had been solo qualified for several years prior so I hadn't lost my status (Note: I took an instructor out with me anyway). In my e-mail he responded to, I told him I thought I would be in 2I and this was his response: "FYI, it now takes two signatures to get signed off for Seat Time. I assume you'll be in group 2I tomorrow? I wouldn't be too concerned if you don't happen to get two instructors willing to check you off tomorrow, it usually takes longer for folks in Z06's, Vipers, etc. to get signed off initially. That's because we need to see the car driven comfortably and consistently at 8-9/10ths, especially since the potential speeds (and consequences) are so much higher. Not to mention that plenty of instructors aren't too comfortable at those speeds themselves, so they tend to be more cautious. Of course, another reason may be that many of those cars tend to be driven either by "more elderly gentlemen" (or women) who have 35+ years of sedate street driving instincts to overcome or young rich dudes with ego control disorders."

So, the bar is set high for us folks with Zs. That's why I suggest going out for one of the remaining FATTS. Better prepared for the spring! We have to move fast as the 11/30 date is on a waiting list for Novice. What say for 12/14? I am planning to go. My final decision will be dependant on weather & workload.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I will be out of town on business for the next 2-3 weeks. Although If I can get the job done early and return on the 13th then I will (weather dependent) try to make the 14th. I'll let you know.

Keep in touch.

Kevin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kevin,
Let me know if it looks good for you. My major hold-back wil be weather. Cold is OK, wet is not. The difference in reqistration cost is only $10, so I will wait until I hear the weather will be dry.
John

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,

I'll PM you when/If I get back in time. Hopefully the weather will be good. One of my friends with a Vert Cobra wants to play as well so if its dry it will be a great day.

Take Care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts