Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

well, I just bought new tires (Finally!), i ended up putting the Wide Ovals... pretty good so far, it rained like crazy, and i drove 100 miles on them, and they seem pretty good in the wet.

My original tires were finished. THe rears were worn out evenly, however the fronts were worn out more on the inside. The inside of the front tires were down to the fiber thread, where as the outside part were still pretty good. Is this normal?

I had the car lowered during the tire installation, and I will be going for an alignment next week after the suspension settles a bit. Is there any way that I can have GM adjust the front wheels so to have less negative camber, and thus allowing for a more even wear of the front tires?

thanks

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Yes, The regular C5 has slightly less aggressive settings and you could use those. :z:

·
Registered
891 Posts
If you have a lot of negative camber that will wear the inside of the tire more than the outside. If your toe settings are close to zero a lot of negative isn't all that bad. What kills the inside of the tire is a lot of toe out. Toe out is great for turn-in, but makes the car a little nervous feeling at speed.

My guess is that you have too much toe out. I just got rid of my fronts. They were half way thru the wear bars, but no cord showing on the inside with about 2 degrees negative camber.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The Z06 front alignment spec for camber is -0.7 +/- 0.5, meaning anything from -0.2 to -1.2 is "in" spec. So it would be perfectly acceptable for you to ask for something on the lower side of this band. An alignment shop should be able to hit a camber target within a tenth or so.

Toe out (or in) will hurt inside front tire wear in combination with negative camber as well. Zero toe is within the alignment specs for the front. So again, perfectly acceptible to ask for zero toe in.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
My fronts wore on the inside, was thinking too much neg camber til I put a gauge on em. Hadn't moved from when I aligned. The toe was out pretty bad tho (1/8" out).

Fixed that and now the tires wear evenly again.

I'm running 1/2 deg, 0 toe. Don't ask about caster, I can't remember.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you enjoy driving the car at all, I would think you'd want at least
-.75 to -1.0 camber in the front...anything less and you won't be using anywhere close to the whole tire surface in any "spirited" driving ;)

Don't worry, with effective zero front toe, you won't be wasting tires!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts