Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after 4 years and about 18K miles the front bearings are shot. Dont see this question too much on here- so I wanted to put it out there.
What is your opinion on replacements? OEM again? (4 yrs of street/autocross/driving schools) or aftermarket?

Welcome supporting vendor comments as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
362 Posts
racingfast said:
OK, after 4 years and about 18K miles the front bearings are shot. Dont see this question too much on here- so I wanted to put it out there.
What is your opinion on replacements? OEM again? (4 yrs of street/autocross/driving schools) or aftermarket?

Welcome supporting vendor comments as well. :thumb:
Auto Zone--Timken brand bearings--complete with sensor.

front--513139
rear--512153

ABOUT $150 each

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've only replaced mine with OEM so have no info on any after market ones. The stock wheel bearing hubs have worked well for me, but I do replace them about every 10 race weekends.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the info- will call dealer and check prices. Guess 4 years of life means I better start pushing this thing harder :jammin:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have went thru a few of them on my racecar. I have been buying them from autozone. They are $155 each. Not a bad price compared to dealer cost of $360 or so. They look exactly the same as a GM part. I would bet that Timken builds the GM bearings.

I also get the same life out of them.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BRAD: great home page! Congrats on your accomplishments! :thumb: I think my 4 years equals your 10 race weekends! :jawdrop:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
racingfast said:
BRAD: great home page! Congrats on your accomplishments! :thumb: I think my 4 years equals your 10 race weekends! :jawdrop:
Thanks. It has been a really good couple of seasons. Unfortunately, it is going to be backburnered for a while as I roll back onto sea duty. About six weeks into a six month training pipeline right now. I'm hoping to get back into racing part time next year. :cheers:

·
Registered
78 Posts
GM did make heavy duty bearings but they were illegal for T1. Mainly used on WC cars.

I have never used the hd units so I can't comment on how the hold up. I thought they were about 450 - 500 each though. At that price they had better hold up 3 times as long.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
They used to make a "heavy duty" T1 brake rotor as well. It supposedly had a heavier hat area that could absorb more heat. Stopped making it before I got into T1 though...

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jaymz said:
. I thought they were about 450 - 500 each though. At that price they had better hold up 3 times as long.
:jawdrop: BACK TO AUTOZONE for all four bearings for $600. BCA made in USA! :thumb: with 2 year warranty.... :z:

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gresch said:
Excuse my ignorance, but how did you wear out all 4 wheel bearings in 18k miles? racing?
No ignorance gresch........of course the car has been put thru its paces... actually only the fronts are being replaced. and they would be fine for street driving for now- but on the track you need every confidence you can get, so I am replacing them. :jammin:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
gresch said:
Excuse my ignorance, but how did you wear out all 4 wheel bearings in 18k miles? racing?
Yep. :D

The lateral loading is pretty hard on the bearings.

The bearings, along with just about everything else (but rotors) aren't cheap, but when you get one of these, it is suddenly all very worth it.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts