Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

New here to the forum (be gentle...lol). I’ve been a Corvette owner for about 10 years and been around them my whole life (Dad has the fever bad - he’s had 15).

I have a HEAVILY tuned 2003 Z06. I purchased it from a friend about 5 years ago. Recently, it began going from about 1/2 tank to Empty (throwing “Check Gauges” light on the dash). This past weekend, I had the car on about a 100-mile trip and had the gauge drop to Empty. I immediately pulled off to a fuel station and was able to only put about 10 cents of gas in it at a time. It took a good 15 minutes to put about 6 gallons of gas in the car. My initial thought was the Jet Siphon Pump hat seems to have plagued others, but I can’t find ANYTHING on YouTube (or anywhere else for that matter) to guide me on where to find the pump or how to go about the repair.

I know this probably isn’t the first time someone has experienced this, but has anyone been standing in my shoes wondering how to fix their car?

Any help appreciated. Located in South Jersey...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not the fuel pump or bucket.
Something obviously electrical. You're gonna need to get someone with not just a scan tool but HPT tuners or efilive to hook up and monitor everything and see what's actually going on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
"fuel gauge drops to empty" was a common problem with these cars. There was a TSB out in 2002. Chevy dealers replaced fuel pumps in both tanks due to some type of corrosion. Sometimes using a can of Chevron gas cleaner helped the problem for a while. Had mine replaced at about 10K miles in 2003.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,832 Posts
The problem is not the fuel pumps
It is the fuel float level sender where the damn Ethanol has eaten off the masking of the card in tanks that sends a resistance value to the fuel gauge on dash
The gauge level reported comes from what the cards OHMs values outputs to controller

Some fuel cleaner may help but in long run they have to be replaced
You may find when the gas is colder gauge reports one level and different when hotter
Also the lower the amount of fuel in tanks the cards get hotter as no fuel on cards to cool them down
Here is one and can see the masking on card has been diluted from the E10

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guys,

New here to the forum (be gentle...lol). I’ve been a Corvette owner for about 10 years and been around them my whole life (Dad has the fever bad - he’s had 15).

I have a HEAVILY tuned 2003 Z06. I purchased it from a friend about 5 years ago. Recently, it began going from about 1/2 tank to Empty (throwing “Check Gauges” light on the dash). This past weekend, I had the car on about a 100-mile trip and had the gauge drop to Empty. I immediately pulled off to a fuel station and was able to only put about 10 cents of gas in it at a time. It took a good 15 minutes to put about 6 gallons of gas in the car. My initial thought was the Jet Siphon Pump hat seems to have plagued others, but I can’t find ANYTHING on YouTube (or anywhere else for that matter) to guide me on where to find the pump or how to go about the repair.

I know this probably isn’t the first time someone has experienced this, but has anyone been standing in my shoes wondering how to fix their car?

Any help appreciated. Located in South Jersey...
I'm no Vette expert but the advice people are offering re a fuel cleaner is valid and you should try that first. One reader recommended the cleaner from Chevron - which is called Techron. I use this twice a year, as the season starts and on my last fill as the season ends. C5's (and 6's?) run two fuel tanks and two level senders. The Jet Siphon Pump you refer to is just that - it uses a siphon to continuously move fuel from one tank to the other from the top of one tank to the other tank (apparently no room for a lower tank connection). An electric fuel pump provides the flow to feed your engine and keep the siphon going. This arrangement also ensures that the center of gravity for the fuel load does not shift to one side. Two fuel level senders are used to allow a comparison of the fuel level from one tank to the other - if there is a significant difference then a fault is logged and the fuel level gauge on the dash drops to empty. This difference in tank level readings can mean a failure of the siphon, a defective sender or a dirty sender. Sulfur deposits cause issues and Techron is very good at removing same. Follow the directions on the bottle and add the cleaner to a tank with less than a quarter of a load - this will ensure a good mix between the two tanks so both sending units are adequately cleaned. Sixty one thousand miles on my 02 Z and never a problem with the fuel system. I'll probably change the filter this winter.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,832 Posts
Fuel already has cleaners but tier 2 spec'd by GM has more cleaners then others
Using Techron may help if the masking on the PCB traces are in the early stage of E10/15 dissolving the masking of all the traces
As image shows below of a float sender in bad shape you can see the traces are no longer solid in color (notice the pitting) versus a new one also shown below
The float arm has 2 contact points, one is the main side and the other side hits certain ones of smaller traces.
Each one has a different resistance reading which the fuel gauge on dash reports level as to what the resistance reading is

Once the masking is too far gone no cleaner can correct that and would require both senders, one in each tank replaced.
Not a easy job to do, easier for C5s but harder with the C6 design

Bad one :

New one :

1 - 7 of 7 Posts