Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some fuel jugs to bring to the track with me. The most common ones I can find are only 5 gallons. Is this the typical size people use? I would probably buy 3 of them I guess.

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
You don't want any bigger than 5 gallons per jug at the track. At 7-8lbs a gallon that's about as much as you really want to handle at once. When I raced that was about all everyone used.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Yep, that's what I use. I somehow only get by with two, but will take four with me to VIR in a few weeks as I'm not sure they will be selling race fuel on a non-race weekend and don't want to run out.

As an FYI, I only get about 5.5 mpg on the track. So if you are bringing all your fuel for a DE to the track with you, don't plan on getting 15-20 mpg... :D

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I like 2 jugs as thats all my hands can hold. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just bought 4 jugs from our local speed shop. They are V/P and very nice.
They came with separate tops for fueling Not cheap but great quality.
Buy the way Brad, nice fuel mileage, we are at best getting 4.3 mph. Sometime I'm a little concerned about running 45 minute races.
Tony #54

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ELF Z06 said:
Buy the way Brad, nice fuel mileage, we are at best getting 4.3 mph. Sometime I'm a little concerned about running 45 minute races.
Tony #54
Wow... that is pretty low. I have noted some track dependency to my mileage, but that low. When mine got below about 5.0 mpg, I started looking into problems and ended up changing out the plugs, plug wires, air filter, cleaning the injectors, and finally the fuel filter. Changing the fuel filter fixed the low mileage. Not really sure why.

As a note, if you haven't figured it out, race fuel is really dirty. I'm now going to change my fuel filter annually. :cheers:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Brad, we are making about 150 hp more than your T1 cars. That's not to say we always use it well.
mooch, the V/P cans are red and indicate they are for Gasoline.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Todd (manufactures marine gas tanks) make a 28 gallon rolling gas tank with a fueling nozzle. If you can get your vehicle near your trailer for refueling, it relies on gravity, this may give you all the juice you need for a weekend. I found this on the Overton's online catalog (www.overtons.com) for $279. It is available at most discount marine centers.

Here is the link: Todd Gas Caddy

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
kmagvette said:
Todd (manufactures marine gas tanks) make a 28 gallon rolling gas tank with a fueling nozzle. If you can get your vehicle near your trailer for refueling, it relies on gravity, this may give you all the juice you need for a weekend. I found this on the Overton's online catalog (www.overtons.com) for $279. It is available at most discount marine centers.

Here is the link: Todd Gas Caddy
I would think it is illegal in every state to transport 28 gallons of gas, I am just thinking of a lawsuit. They have been busting landscapers on Long Island for violations.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Similar to VP jug. I will look today but I think VP jugs state on the bottom in 1/8" letter not for gasoline.

Click to Enlarge Product Name: SCRIBNER PLASTICS 5 GALLON UTILITY JUG - (DUE TO REGULATIONS THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AVAILABLE IN CA, DE, MD, NY AND PA) - #SCR2000
Product ID: SCR2000

Category: Pit Equipment

Manufacturer: Scribner Plastics

Description: Features unique to Scribner utility jugs include the Square design eliminating unusable spaces around the jug. They mate naturally and fit flush against walls and other flat surfaces. All jugs are manufactured from tough LLDPE polyethylene using Scribner's rotational molding process, which is why Scribner can offer their exclusive Scribner warranty. The exclusive funnel top design and molded handle helps bleed air into the jug allowing the entire contents to be unloaded in approximately 9 seconds. Compare that with the other jugs around ! The extra heavy duty top features Scribner's unique, polyethylene gasket, with a larger and wider gasket seat and, unlike o - rings, there is no swelling and falling out after a month of use. IT NEVER FAILS and is warranteed just like the jug! Plus you get your choice of nine (9) standard colors and five (5) fluorescent colors. All jugs exceed worldwide UN performance standards. Cap is included! NOT TO BE USED AS A PORTABLE FUEL CONTAINER IN CALIFORNIA AND MARYLAND. (SEE NEW SCRIBNER SCR2002NS CALIFORNIA FUEL JUG).
Sale Price $29.99 $18.88

·
Registered
377 Posts
Speedpup,

I never considered the legality of transporting gas in a container. I used to tow a boat with two 75 gallon tanks and never got hassled. I agree that they were more protected than a container. Similarly, if you are towing your car you are likely transporting it with a full tank to the track.

I guess the same consideration would have to be given to one or more 5 gallon containers. Where is the line drawn?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Having a CDL I know some laws. These guys running around with tanks to refill diesel equipment like backhoes are breaking the law if the filler hose is connected while they drive. I am not sure but I doubt you can carry more than one 5 gallon container. Then you get into the Triangular signs you need on all 4 sides of the vehicle. Car on the trailer has a fuel tank which is approved. I guess a race car is OK too. DOT is getting way more fussy than it was ten years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts