Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Could be the rev limiter as Don said or it could be the traction control system kicking in...

Try doing it in Competitive Mode, Traction control is shut off in this mode.

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try doing a power shift at 3/4 throttle and at around 5,000 rpm. Make sure you turn off the traction control. I also suspect it's the rev limiter or traction control.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Yep that's it, turn off Traction control and use Competitive Mode. :z:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I remember traction control interrupting my fun when I first got the car. Shut it off and you'll be smiling. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried at different rpms it makes no difference I took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing they could do. They gave me a three page print out from GM that said that this would happen anytime the car reconizes abuse. I also cannot not pull a hole shot either as soon as I dump the clutch it shuts the fuel off and boogs till I let up on the excellerator.

·
Registered
878 Posts
for sure have it in CM mode and for the street -are you in such a close race that you power shift??why??? i would save that for the track only --unless it was making a difference -having spirited fun on the street, with most stuff i roll out and usually 2nd gear takes care of most wanabe challengers :yeadog: :z: :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the answers its my first corvette and I haven't had a fast care since my 69 chevelle which had a 427 vette engine in it I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. This Zo6 is the coolest thing I ever owned!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Maybe you should try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. If you do this you blank out the way the car reacts to hard driving (if it's been babied). After resetting the computer the car "learns" your driving style and adapts to it. This might take care of this problem you have.

Others may want to chime in if I'm wrong. But, I think this is what a lot of LS1/6 owners do to correct a car's driving habits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This maybe right I bought the car from a women and I'm sure she never pushed the car I will unhook the battery and see.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello Ted,

I've read all the responses and nobody has actually told you where the button is to change the Active Handiling / Traction Control Mode.

Have you tried it?

It's the round button in the console between shifter and armrest, press once and the Display in the center of the cluster will say the system is off.

This mode will let you burn the tires and spin donuts till you are dizzy. But it will not step in to help you out.

From the system Off mode, press and hold the button for about 15 seconds untill the display reads "Competition Mode" this mode disables traction control but keeps active handiling on so you can burn'em but keep it pointed where you want to go.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not know there was a competition mode I have tried turning of the active handling / traction control the car still wants to turn the fuel off I have tried different rpms to pull a hole shot but to no avail as soon as I dump the clutch and it shuts the gas off I've just assumed that GM made the car so you can't drag it??????

·
Registered
90 Posts
ted carroll said:
I did not know there was a competition mode I have tried turning of the active handling / traction control the car still wants to turn the fuel off I have tried different rpms to pull a hole shot but to no avail as soon as I dump the clutch and it shuts the gas off I've just assumed that GM made the car so you can't drag it??????
My previous was a 427, but it was in a 68 vette roadster, no comparison with the Z. The Z would eat the 68. Make sure you do not turn off the active handling unless you are in a very lare parking lot. In this mode you need three hands and three feet.

The comp mode as others have noted is the way to go. Hold down the button until the DCI says comp mode. If the car is shutting down in this mode you need to find a dealer that know's what they are talking about.

These cars are downright scary and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey Ted,

Simply put, with AH/TC turned off you should be able to burn the stock tires into next week if you so desire.

If she can't spin stock tires into a molten smokey mess at your command, than she needs professional help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have never been able to spin the tires from a dead stop maybe I need to find a dealership that knows Z06, at my dealership there is only one mechanic trained on corvettes.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
ted carroll said:
This maybe right I bought the car from a women and I'm sure she never pushed the car I will unhook the battery and see.
After you disconnect the battery you want to drive the car a bit.

Let's say after 100 miles the problem is still there... I wonder if it would be a fuel filter?

I forgot to ask: does the car throw any codes?? If you still have the problem after you try all the above, take it in for a checkup.

Keep us posted,
Alex :guiness:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts