Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 02 z06 that I drive wuite well. I have yet to lose a race on the road. I have beaten wrx-sti's from a dig and a roll, cobra's from a roll, srt-4 from a dig and a roll, Viper trucks at the track from a dig and a light ( not the red light kind). As I said I have yet to lose a raod race. There is this guy that has a "600 HP COBRA" I dont know if he does because I have yet to see his car. I know alot about the stangs because I own one. What do you think would give me the best chance to win a one time race from a roll, aside from nitrous or borrowing another z06. Do I have a shot. I figure if he is 600 at the crank I can beat him. Dr.Bigg :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
First don't race him from a roll. You will have more advantage from a dead stop. If he has 600 HP (480 RWHP) he should spank you. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
fyi, cobra six speed isn't gonna have a 20% drivetrain loss, if he's claiming 600 he's probably got closer to 510 at the wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
what are your mods and dyno big?

what's your best at the strip?

throw drags on your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
slow99 said:
fyi, cobra six speed isn't gonna have a 20% drive-train loss, if he's claiming 600 he's probably got closer to 510 at the wheels.
I Agree, more like 18 to 19%. FYI the C5 was the first Corvette to have around 15% drive-train loss. C4's are 18% and auto's 20%. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I have a stock 02 z06 that I drive wuite well. I have yet to lose a race on the road. I have beaten wrx-sti's from a dig and a roll, cobra's from a roll, srt-4 from a dig and a roll, Viper trucks at the track from a dig and a light ( not the red light kind). As I said I have yet to lose a raod race. There is this guy that has a "600 HP COBRA" I dont know if he does because I have yet to see his car. I know alot about the stangs because I own one. What do you think would give me the best chance to win a one time race from a roll, aside from nitrous or borrowing another z06. Do I have a shot. I figure if he is 600 at the crank I can beat him. Dr.Bigg :eek:



Throw a 100 shot on it and hose it in second, third, forth... But be on some good Drag radials.. You will somke his A**:) :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
If you're talking about a quick bolt-on, I would think that an air box like the Vararam or the Haltech TRAP would help. From a roll, they are taking in forced cold air before the race starts. That should help, but you won't beat him. Go for H&C package.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
IT L GO said:
I Agree, more like 18 to 19%. FYI the C5 was the first Corvette to have around 15% drive-train loss. C4's are 18% and auto's 20%. :cheers:
most mustang guys use 15% manual and 20% auto, that's where i was getting that. who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am down here in Melbourne. I didn't think I could take him if he had a true 600 hp. I will try to be slick anyway. Heres how I will win.......the rules or the race are( in Melbourne) if you line up side by side and the person starting the race does not yet give the go but I launch anyway. If he reacts instinctively he will jump too. This constitutes a race. If you roll you go. If he moves and then decides I went to far ahead and stops or lets off he loses :lol: More than likely that will give me enough time to get out and run away. I figure if I can get 8/10 of a second of reaction time better than he can I can win the 1/4 mile. I hate to admit it but back in my younger days (18) I used to do that for money ( not very much believe me) to guys that thought they could beat me. I had a sleeper 12.0 mustang lx at the time. I saw a guy get shot for this technique in 1992 and that was the last time ol Dr.Bigg ever pulled that crap :lol: .I guess I will lose this race but oh well. It should be fun anyway. I hope it happens soon. I will keep all of you posted. Dr.Bigg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
I bet you will beat him, no cheating neede. Those Mustang can't hook up real well, and if you can drive as well as you say...you should be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Why does anyone want to mess around like that on the street - way too much to lose (meaning the Law).

Why not get hooked-up with a club that does competition events - i.e. auto-cross and/or drags and make it legal and official - you'll have way more fun. And you'll learn more about your car and your capabilities to drive it then from doing it on the streets.

Just my $.02 worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I am down here in Melbourne. I didn't think I could take him if he had a true 600 hp. I will try to be slick anyway. Heres how I will win.......the rules or the race are( in Melbourne) if you line up side by side and the person starting the race does not yet give the go but I launch anyway. If he reacts instinctively he will jump too. This constitutes a race. If you roll you go. If he moves and then decides I went to far ahead and stops or lets off he loses :lol: More than likely that will give me enough time to get out and run away. I figure if I can get 8/10 of a second of reaction time better than he can I can win the 1/4 mile. I hate to admit it but back in my younger days (18) I used to do that for money ( not very much believe me) to guys that thought they could beat me. I had a sleeper 12.0 mustang lx at the time. I saw a guy get shot for this technique in 1992 and that was the last time ol Dr.Bigg ever pulled that crap :lol: .I guess I will lose this race but oh well. It should be fun anyway. I hope it happens soon. I will keep all of you posted. Dr.Bigg
Shame on you, :lol: We use the same rules here :eek:o:
 

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
I agree with your rules. If the opponent chases you, then its a race. The smart guy will just let you go.

Hey there is nothing wrong with Mustangs. I cannot even count how many ZR-1s, Vipers, etc that I demolished from 50-150 in my old LX. Most people have no concept of how fast something that traps mid-130s is... on the track or the street. A 200-300+' whipping is easily accomplished vs. even a mid-11 second car with a car like that. Something that runs 12s just got "half-tracked". :lol:

I agree with the others... do not race him from a roll. I have ridden in a friends 490rwhp '03 Cobra. It runs mid-11s @ 124mph. Who knows if this guy who wants to race you really has 600hp. Chances are good now that its warm, he will be down 40-50hp anyway due to heat soak of the blower and the air charge into the motor. But if his car can run in the mid-120s down the 1/4 mile and you're stock, I don't care how well you drive... from a roll you'll lose.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Here in the Rockies it's way to costly to get caught street racing but we have a drag strip that has Weds test and tune you can go up there they have a tree and it's your basic run what ya brung deal but they time every run. Keep your racing on a track there's to many variables on the street and someone might get hurt or even lose a life. :ity: :bang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have a 100 acre farm that was starting development and the company went bankrupt. Before they did though they put in roads. This is where we used to run the cars. There were hot dog vendors out there. I mean it was like a race track for goodness sake. I dont know where the race will take place but if it does I will be as safe as POSSIBLE. Neither on of us wants to hurt anyone else nor ourselves. If its not feasible to race then we wont. Must be the right time and on the right road. Dr.Bigg :usa:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top