Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about these? are they really worth $2,195, or is there something out there better than these? your advise is appreciated. thanx

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
There probably isn't anything better out there. The question is are you willing to take the time and effort to set them up properly? What are you doing with the car? Street only? Autocross or road racing?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
yellowvette said:
what do you guys think about these? are they really worth $2,195, or is there something out there better than these? your advise is appreciated. thanx
I am running the DRM Bilstein coilovers which are similiar and am very happy. I use the car for shows and occassional Auto-X.

The Mallett Penske DA coilover shocks are likely superior in quality and perfomance but they should be since the whole kit is around $7k.

·
Registered
971 Posts
yellowvette said:
Yellowvette,

Setup is everything. You should take your car to one of those shops.

MSI, DRM and LG shocks are very similar.
MSI is in Roseville, California
DRM, in Neveda.
LG is in Texas.

Penskes are probably the best, but cost their weight in Silver. lol

·
Registered
687 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Yellowvette,

Setup is everything. You should take your car to one of those shops.

MSI, DRM and LG shocks are very similar.
MSI is in Roseville, California
DRM, in Neveda.
LG is in Texas.

Penskes are probably the best, but cost their weight in Silver. lol

Hi Guys,

Our coil over set up uses full aluminum Bilstein shocks unlike the others. We use the same shocks on our World Challenge race car (just finished 3rd at St Pete).

We provide all the necessary brackets to mount them to your stock location and our set up eliminates the rubber "Bayonet" connection at the top. Ours come with spherical bearings except lower rear.

We use only Hypercoil springs and the coustom valving on our shock package was developed by me at the race track with over 100 hours of on track testing. Our spring rates are about 10% heavier than a Z06 and when you put them on with a T1 bar set up you will be in for a pleasant surprise.

If you are not a shock expert, then a 7 way adjustable shock will give you 6 ways to be wrong. ( Actually 7 factorial)

thanks and give me a call and I will go over the benefits with you

thanks
Lou Gigliotti

·
Registered
687 Posts
robiferretti said:
lou what do I have to do if I blow a shock, I live outside NYC. are these rebuildable or do I have to buy a new one?

They are rebuildable, and revalvable if you want. We have had a set on my race car for all last season plus we used them for the first two races this season and plan to use them all season. they are Bilstein Aluminum shocks, so in my opinion I have not been on a better shock.

Even when I used other high dollar shocks, I always would ask them if they could make them feel like my Bilstein shocks. I think the Bilsteins "Eat" the bumps better than any shock that I have raced on.

Thanks

Lou G

·
Registered
581 Posts
L G Motorsports said:
For road racing this would be the soft set up. When we use wings and splitters, the spring rates have to go up.

LG
Do you use the spined Schroeder anti-roll bars?

From the pictures, your cars aero looks similar to a late model stock car. While we don't have wings,we do have a 6" flat 90deg spoiler in the rear.

It is hard to compare spring and bar rates with a different geometry. However, in going from a standard to a soft spring setup the front bar was 180% stiffer and the front springs 40% softer.

The other characteristic was off the chart rebound in the shocks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just one question how can a unadjustable coilover kit be good
at the track and just as good in the street ? To me it sounds like a big compromise ... please enligthen me. I rather have the possibibilty to go wrong than not have it :). I would by a reasonable priced coilover kit instantly if i had a shock which is adjustable and of good quality, and yes i have had coilovers before and yes they where adjustable and iam still alive :).
IMHO there is just one thing i dont like with the Vettes and thats the "crosstalk" or sliding or whatever you would like to call it, it really sux my Volvo handles better than that when the road is a little bumpy.

L G Motorsports said:
Hi Guys,

Our coil over set up uses full aluminum Bilstein shocks unlike the others. We use the same shocks on our World Challenge race car (just finished 3rd at St Pete).

We provide all the necessary brackets to mount them to your stock location and our set up eliminates the rubber "Bayonet" connection at the top. Ours come with spherical bearings except lower rear.

We use only Hypercoil springs and the coustom valving on our shock package was developed by me at the race track with over 100 hours of on track testing. Our spring rates are about 10% heavier than a Z06 and when you put them on with a T1 bar set up you will be in for a pleasant surprise.

If you are not a shock expert, then a 7 way adjustable shock will give you 6 ways to be wrong. ( Actually 7 factorial)

thanks
Lou Gigliotti

·
Registered
741 Posts
ace67 said:
Just one question how can a unadjustable coilover kit be good
at the track and just as good in the street ? To me it sounds like a big compromise ... please enligthen me. I rather have the possibibilty to go wrong than not have it :). I would by a reasonable priced coilover kit instantly if i had a shock which is adjustable and of good quality, and yes i have had coilovers before and yes they where adjustable and iam still alive :).
IMHO there is just one thing i dont like with the Vettes and thats the "crosstalk" or sliding or whatever you would like to call it, it really sux my Volvo handles better than that when the road is a little bumpy.
That's a very valid observation, but considering Lou has a "hundren" of those shocks in his trailer, revalved and rebound for every and each track and ready to be swaped right there - so it's not a problem to him :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
We put valving in our street kit that is compatable with the street springs. We run different valving in the SAME shocks on the race track.
Our street/track kit is a little stiff for the street but a great package for the track on a car without wings or splitters. We raise the rates with the aero package cars.

I used to work for Volvo of America 20 years ago and there was NEVER a volvo that compared to a Corvette.

Here is a link to a video that will show you our shocks in action.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jhester/lg/page6.html

Road Atlanta 2 weeks ago. Qualified 5th stalled on the start and worked my way up until a broken Volvo diff did my in. (just kidding)

At any rate, you can ask any of the guys that were up at Road America track day 2 years ago where I gave rides in my street car with our Coil over package on it. We ran a 2:24.xx with a passenger and no wings. I think we ran a 2:18 in our World Challenge race car.

Thanks
Lou gigliotti

PS, all the cars in the video had adjustable shocks except me, I had our Bilstein non adj shocks on. LG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hehe i knew i would get your attention if i compared it with a Volvo ;-). But it still remain a fact that the orginal suspension with leafsprings isnt any good from certain points of view like the "crosstalk"/sliding problem you will never experience that in say a Volvo because the Volvo doesnt use leafsprings. If the Corvette has coilover suspension it handles
like the supercars no doubt. Since i live in Sweden and i think we in EU isnt that bothered with a ruff/harsh ride which seem to a big problem in the USA with some people ;-) Corvette is a sportscar not a Cadillac and most of the sportscar made in EU like Porsche and Lotus the list could go on for ever has quite a harsh ride and guess what they dont use leafsprings wonder why ?
I will buy coilovers no question about it(the crosstalk problem is just to irretating) just now iam looking at DRM, LG or the Ohlins made in Sweden but they need some more work before i could get them at my car but they are superior to Penske or whatever you want to compare with IMHO and they are adjustable and cost quite a bit more.What im really saying is that say if i buy the DRM/LG coilovers and i dont like the valving or springs you recommend, the springs i can change but to fix the valving i have to rebuild the shock, but if the shock had been adjustable it may just have been turning a knob one or two clicks to solve the problem.
So how would you support a oversea customer if i dont like the setup you sell ?

Thanx for the answer but i still think its a compromize if the shocks isnt adjustable, then you cant adapt/adjust it to perform at its best depending on the surface you are driving on.Then that Lou is a good driver that can compensate for the lack of adjustability is good for him :).

I apologize that if the text above is hard to read/understand but english isnt my first language.

Thanx in advance

L G Motorsports said:
We put valving in our street kit that is compatable with the street springs. We run different valving in the SAME shocks on the race track.
Our street/track kit is a little stiff for the street but a great package for the track on a car without wings or splitters. We raise the rates with the aero package cars.

I used to work for Volvo of America 20 years ago and there was NEVER a volvo that compared to a Corvette.

Here is a link to a video that will show you our shocks in action.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jhester/lg/page6.html

Road Atlanta 2 weeks ago. Qualified 5th stalled on the start and worked my way up until a broken Volvo diff did my in. (just kidding)

At any rate, you can ask any of the guys that were up at Road America track day 2 years ago where I gave rides in my street car with our Coil over package on it. We ran a 2:24.xx with a passenger and no wings. I think we ran a 2:18 in our World Challenge race car.

Thanks
Lou gigliotti

PS, all the cars in the video had adjustable shocks except me, I had our Bilstein non adj shocks on. LG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Which spring rates would you recommend if the car is street driven 95% of the time ?

Thanx in advance

L G Motorsports said:
Hi Guys,

thanks
Lou Gigliotti

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That's a great video, amazing. Wish I could drive like that. GT4 on the playstation is about as close as I'll ever get. Less costly when I crash.

As for the coilovers, definately gonna get some on my Z. Hate the crappy, teeth rattling leaf springs. Lou's setup is well respected and only costs $2195.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts