Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try this combo? How much boost can the cam hold? I figure 114LSA is pretty much right on the edge.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Mike,

What are the rest of the cam specs?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lots of duration (like 240) and around .608 lift. The main thing is that it is 114LSA. Don't ask me exactly what the split is...don't know. I was seeing if anyone has tried the combo, and tuned it to work.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Give Lou a call. He will be able to tell you if it will work well, but I'd bet this cam may have too much overlap to work good with FI.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttt. Looking for an "outsiders" opinion. Somebody has to have tried this before...

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I am pretty sure that someone has tried this combo before, becuase i saw a car for sale with these mods. However, i am also pretty sure that this cam will defintley be too big for a supercharger. It doesnt mean that you cant add a supercharger to it, but even stroker motors that get superchargers dont go that big with force induction. If you change to a blower cam you might gain a lot of low end driveabilty that you lost with G5X3. I am also pretty sure that with the supercharger you will not make any more power than you would with a smaller cam and the same supercharger. In other words the bigger cam will not give you extra performance like you might think. The best upgrade you can do to your car if you wanna keep the cam is get a set of heads and a healthy shot of nitrous. A supercharger setup would have to be pushing over 650 RWHP to top that! However it wont be availble to you all the time!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have a cam similar to this in my 408 stroker, it isnt the best for a supercharger, but my compression is still fairly high and it helps bleed off a little cylinder pressure(boost) but still makes great power over 650 rwhp 605 rwtq

·
Registered
7 Posts
Coyote-Z said:
Anyone try this combo? How much boost can the cam hold? I figure 114LSA is pretty much right on the edge.
Lou makes a cam called the G5X-B thats meant for blower applications... ive put quite a few of these in and the last one added to a magnuson vette made a HUGE difference!

Before with just the intercooled Magnuson with shorty headers, stock internals etc the 2002 Coupe M6 did 410 hp and 394 tq

After adding QTP long tubes, custom Xpipe, electric water pump and the G5X-B cam (sorry I didnt do the dynos piece by piece) the numbers on the same dyno were 513 rwhp and 416 torque.

This was in AZ with our crap air so duplicating these results should be more than easy for anyone else unless youre in california! Pretty sure Lou has these in stock as well... if you would like I will post the dynos for you, and next week we are doing a G5X-B in a Magnacharged GTO going from a 224/228 so I can post those graphs as well!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know blower cams are much better for blowers. Thats why they are there. I know that the g5x-3 is no where close to an optimal blower cam. It was designed for NA application. I'm not looking to replace the cam.

I'm just wanting to know if say I slap a maggie on there, what would the end result be? 500rwhp (same as putting on a nice set of heads)?

Somebody has to have tried this combo before on a stock bottom end.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have the G5X3 with AFR heads and 90 mm Fast set up.
I am at 487 rwhp and am trying to understand how people with more power than me (strokers, mags, turbos) even can get ANY traction.
If I used a 100 hp shot I wonder which ditch I would be in left or right

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Same exact question I have.

My back of my Z tends to skate right under WOT. Im guessing I will take up residence in the ditch on the left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts