Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out what kind of numbers people are making with the G5X-3 cam vs the T-Rex cam.
T-Rex cam is claing 450rwhp on a stock F-body with minor bolt ons. I would imagine with our LS6 heads and minor bolt on, it would make more.
Specs:T-ReX v.2 - 242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa 3500-6700 RPM Power Band.

I dont know the specs on the G5X-3 cam, but I was wondering if it can make the same power with the same bolt ons.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't car what they bolt on (unless N2O or a blower) you can't get 450rwhp without touching the heads.

I think the most on this site is like 435rwhp or so and 410-430rwhp seems more common and with that cam.

Do some searches and you'll get a wealth of info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The duration and lift are similar on both G5X3 and the TREX. I have the G5X3 on 114 and it is a very streetable cam. I made 439rwhp (see sig for dyno sheet) with no drivability concerns. I would not recommend a 110 LSA. The drivability issues would not be worth an extra 10rwhp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dyno above is of a 99 TransAm with stock unported cylinder heads, Thunder Racing's T-ReX v.2 camshaft, and a full package of bolt-on parts, including long tube headers, pulley, LS6 intake manifold, Whisper lid, ported throttle body. Dyno runs were on 93 octane gasoline and a factory steel flyweel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like they made a little more hp, and the torque is the same. I also had similar bolt-ons, and stock manifold, stock heads, stock flywheel, and stock throttle body. Dyno runs also on good ole' 93.
<<<<<<<--------------------------------------------------------
It really depends on what your goal is with your car. My car will not see a track too many times, so streetable power is my main concern. With that being said, I do not feel 12hp is really worth it to risk drivability.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Smithsc has a t-rex in his 02 Z06. He is making better than 450rwhp on the stock, untouched heads. His car, IMHO was the best sounding stock displacement cammed car at the fest last year. You might want to PM him about it for all the details. Steve is a great guy and I'm sure he'll answer all your questions. HTH

Jim

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
Smithsc has a t-rex in his 02 Z06. He is making better than 450rwhp on the stock, untouched heads. His car, IMHO was the best sounding stock displacement cammed car at the fest last year. You might want to PM him about it for all the details. Steve is a great guy and I'm sure he'll answer all your questions. HTH

I

Jim
IMHO it definately was the besr sounding cam at the fest !

Rob

·
Registered
895 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
I don't car what they bolt on (unless N2O or a blower) you can't get 450rwhp without touching the heads.

I think the most on this site is like 435rwhp or so and 410-430rwhp seems more common and with that cam.

Do some searches and you'll get a wealth of info.
Have the Trex installed on my 02Z, with all the normal bolt-ons. Heads have NEVER been off the car. (see sig)

451rwhp after 8 runs on the dyno and tuning by MCRacing, here in KC.

Have about 7000 miles on the cam now. Runs great!!

Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
No one should make 450 rwhp on 241 heads (01-02 F body ls1 heads). Now on ls6 (243) that would be impressive. I cant even imagine how hard that car pulls.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My car made 450 rwhp with stock 243 heads...and this is with a rich tune - shelf cam. Possible with stock heads if you add the right components.

Car needs two things: Gear and sticky tires!

Bill

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A buddy made 450rwhp here in CA on 91 crapgas with the t-rex cam. That sucker is no joke. Stock heads.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The car in cali also has a 90/90 setup. It made 442 with a lighter flywheel setup.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here is the dyno chart from when MC Racing did te tune last June. MikesZ06 was there as well. Said they had a hell of a time getting the idle set, and took I believe 10 dynos with tuning in between to get it over the 450 mark.

Steve

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The G5X-3 does NOT have the same duration as the TRex, Can't post specs BUT Lou has a G5X-4 cam that probably comes close.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the g5x4 and from what I have heard and can tell it is slightly larger than the t-rex.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It says on the website that 4.10+ gears are needed with the trex cam, is that needed?

·
Registered
895 Posts
ZO6supra said:
It says on the website that 4.10+ gears are needed with the trex cam, is that needed?
I don't think 4.10's are necessary. The 3.42's work fine, although could stand a little more low end grunt that a set of 3.90's would give it.

I think 4.10's would be for an all out 1/4 mile assault.

My $0.02 worth anyway.

Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't have any dyno numbers yet. I need to re-tune but I am waiting for one of my cutouts to come back after being repaired. The 4.10's aren't necessary but they will help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts