Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well first things first, I really have to thank Chris et al. at ECS as well as Don Benson (for pointing me in their direction).

My oil pump failed at 8,000 miles (which really pisses me off, but if you do research on this you will see how many issues there are with pump failures and other oil pressure issues with LSx motors-scary) and I was worried about finding a dealer that would warranty my car since I had a cold air intake as well as long tubes and a tune.

Under fed. law, it is my understanding that in order for a manufacturer to deny warranty coverage due to the installation of an after-market part, the after-market part has to cause the issue that the warranty coverage is being sought for.

Obviously, there is no connection between a broken pump and headers, tune, or CAI.

So I called up a dealer on LI, who will remain unnamed.

I told him up front what my mods were and he told me:

"Well bring your car in, lets us take it apart, and then we will tell you if we will warranty it."

I hung up on him. What a f####*$ a&&hole.

At that point I figured I had to put my car back to stock . . . since the worst case scenario could be damaged bearings due to the pump failure. (Although it was only idled for less than a minute in all w/ 0 pressure, but there was some metal in the oil when I drained it :bang: )

Wouldn't it be funny if some dealer pulled my motor apart, and then told me its gonna be 5-6 large to put it back together since it needed bearing and was no longer under warranty? Nothing would suprise me.

I needed the stock studs that connect the manifolds to the H-pipe since two broke when I removed them to install my longtubes. I posted here asking if someone had spares and Don told me to give ECS a ring.

I sort of felt stupid calling ECS up and asking them for studs since I know that they are busy putting together some of the fastest cars in the tri-state area.

Nevertheless, Chris listened to my problem, and suggested that I contact a mod friendly dealer.

At Chris's direction, I called the vette-tech directly, flat-bedded my ride to the dealer, and the tech repaired my car no problem.

Oh yeah, somehow a cam was mysteriously installed in my car at the same time.

This saved me a tremendous amount of time, since, although I could remove everything myself no prob., my job does not afford me the luxury of taking many days off.

The car went back to ECS for tuning.

The end.

Almost forgot:

Dyno #s

04 Z06 + G5X3 (114 lsa, comp 921s, etc.) + LG longtubes + asp pulley + ECS tune + vararam - cats + velocity stack =

402.8 rwtq and 434.7 rwhp

Must be the stack :rofl:

Thanks again East Coast Supercharging & Don for your help.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Richard,

Nice results for a cam only car. :thumb: Glad to have been of assistance. :yeadog: Now the real fun begins...you can give Z06-Dave a run for him money at Island now. :D

Don

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Happy ending Richard..As a matter a fact I will be putting the same cam in my car in a few weeks, I think? Nice results for you, I hope I achieve the same...

Greg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Great write up. You NE guy's got it made with some great tuners. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Richard Branca said:
Well first things first, I really have to thank Chris et al. at ECS as well as Don Benson (for pointing me in their direction).

My oil pump failed at 8,000 miles (which really pisses me off, but if you do research on this you will see how many issues there are with pump failures and other oil pressure issues with LSx motors-scary) and I was worried about finding a dealer that would warranty my car since I had a cold air intake as well as long tubes and a tune.

Under fed. law, it is my understanding that in order for a manufacturer to deny warranty coverage due to the installation of an after-market part, the after-market part has to cause the issue that the warranty coverage is being sought for.

Obviously, there is no connection between a broken pump and headers, tune, or CAI.

So I called up a dealer on LI, who will remain unnamed.

I told him up front what my mods were and he told me:

"Well bring your car in, lets us take it apart, and then we will tell you if we will warranty it."

I hung up on him. What a f####*$ a&&hole.

At that point I figured I had to put my car back to stock . . . since the worst case scenario could be damaged bearings due to the pump failure. (Although it was only idled for less than a minute in all w/ 0 pressure, but there was some metal in the oil when I drained it :bang: )

Wouldn't it be funny if some dealer pulled my motor apart, and then told me its gonna be 5-6 large to put it back together since it needed bearing and was no longer under warranty? Nothing would suprise me.

I needed the stock studs that connect the manifolds to the H-pipe since two broke when I removed them to install my longtubes. I posted here asking if someone had spares and Don told me to give ECS a ring.

I sort of felt stupid calling ECS up and asking them for studs since I know that they are busy putting together some of the fastest cars in the tri-state area.

Nevertheless, Chris listened to my problem, and suggested that I contact a mod friendly dealer.

At Chris's direction, I called the vette-tech directly, flat-bedded my ride to the dealer, and the tech repaired my car no problem.

Oh yeah, somehow a cam was mysteriously installed in my car at the same time.

This saved me a tremendous amount of time, since, although I could remove everything myself no prob., my job does not afford me the luxury of taking many days off.

The car went back to ECS for tuning.

The end.

Almost forgot:

Dyno #s

04 Z06 + G5X3 (114 lsa, comp 921s, etc.) + LG longtubes + asp pulley + ECS tune + vararam - cats + velocity stack =

402.8 rwtq and 434.7 rwhp

Must be the stack :rofl:

Thanks again East Coast Supercharging & Don for your help.
:cheers: to Don & ECS.
So who is this "vette-tech" dealership?
Ron

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doc:

I would never say online as he helped me out a ton.

Rgds,

RAB

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris:

Thanks for all your help. Talk with you soon.

Rgds,

RAB

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have yet to drive this beast! In fact, don't let me as I am sure, my wallet will mysteriously open up and find the requisite funds (maybe not in paper form, but at least in plastic).

I just saw the video of the new Z06 running a 12.0 @ 120mph. Seems like a head/cam C5 Z will give the new Z a run for it's money.

-N

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Chris @ ECS has giving me the same treatment and I havent done any business with him yet, he will tune my car for me middle of the month :cheers:

Im thinking of having him throw in a cam as well, how does that cam idle and sound? is it much louder then stock?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
Chris @ ECS has giving me the same treatment and I havent done any business with him yet, he will tune my car for me middle of the month :cheers:

Im thinking of having him throw in a cam as well, how does that cam idle and sound? is it much louder then stock?
I have had this cam since June of last year (installed by ECS as well :thumb: ). It produces great power, has a great sound, and still allows for what I would consider excellent driveability. I would suggest the 114 LSA over the 112 LSA, as it is more streetable. :yeadog:

Don

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Don Benson said:
I have had this cam since June of last year (installed by ECS as well :thumb: ). It produces great power, has a great sound, and still allows for what I would consider excellent driveability. I would suggest the 114 LSA over the 112 LSA, as it is more streetable. :yeadog:

Don

so that one you speak of makes a bit less power as well, where in the power band do these cams make more power?

also those G2, G5, G5-x1 ect, does are steps down of power?

thanx for the help, I wanna give chris a break :rofl:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
so that one you speak of makes a bit less power as well, where in the power band do these cams make more power?

also those G2, G5, G5-x1 ect, does are steps down of power?

thanx for the help, I wanna give chris a break :rofl:
The differences in power between the 112 and the 114 are marginal (3-5 rwhp). The 112 makes it's power down low, the 114 more mid to upper range.

As for the various LG cam #'s, the G5X3 and G5X4 are the latest (and biggest) iterations of cams from LG. You are correct...as the cam # increase, so does the power output and size of the cam. The G5X3 appears to be the largest LG cam you can put into our cars without having to be to concerned with P/V clearance....in other words, no flycutting is necessary. It (the X3) also has very good driving characteristics, given its size.

Don

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Don Benson said:
The differences in power between the 112 and the 114 are marginal (3-5 rwhp). The 112 makes it's power down low, the 114 more mid to upper range.

As for the various LG cam #'s, the G5X3 and G5X4 are the latest (and biggest) iterations of cams from LG. You are correct...as the cam # increase, so does the power output and size of the cam. The G5X3 appears to be the largest LG cam you can put into our cars without having to be to concerned with P/V clearance....in other words, no flycutting is necessary. It (the X3) also has very good driving characteristics, given its size.

Don
I appreciate that very much :cheers: all of these cams keep your rmp range the same or does it go up like 7000rpms?

LUIS

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I appreciate that very much :cheers: all of these cams keep your rmp range the same or does it go up like 7000rpms?

LUIS

The power curve peaks at arouund 6600-6700 rpm (see my dyno graphs in My Gallery), so reving much beyond that really doesn't give you anything extra. My limiter has been set at 6800 rpm, and my shift light at 6500 rpm.

Don

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nabbs:

When ever you want we can take a trip to Astoria and check the car out.

Rich

·
Registered
419 Posts
Haven't had ECS do any work on my car but I can attest to them being very friendly and very helpful.. Once my header issue is straightened out my car is going to them for a tune..

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck with the header. Drivin in NY sux. My windshield got chipped the other day while drivin through SI, what a bummer . . .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts