Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
421rwhp, 386rwtq through the stock TI catback.

Vararam, Kooks 1 and 7/8s, pulley, 30lb injectors, comp 921s, heavy duty timing chain, catless x-pipe.

This is with only 23.5 degrees of timing, though. It did as high as 28 degrees when i just had the headers. The computer did not want to go past 23.5 this time. I filled up at valero prior to the dyno (was the only pump in sight), and am told that the gas isnt that good there, might have been a contributing factor.

Tomorrow Im off to get it re-aligned, and put a set of high flow cats in it. I dont like dealing with the smell at every light, and apparently these cats dont lose much hp.

Impressions: Getting going from a stop is a little tougher than before.......you need to slip the clutch a little to get going. As the clutch engages, if you havent given it a few revs, the revs will come down pretty sharply, and it will bog a bit. Then again, Im still learning, and its not a very big deal. It doesnt really like being under 1k rpms in first, though. Im getting very slight surge in 4th at under 2k as well, but its not that big of a deal. (And if I can live with it, then pretty much anyone else can too, because I daily drive the car, and am quite fussy about driveability).

Its certainly a rocket when you give it the boot, noticeably more than before. Cruising is unaffected, and the car sounds stock when in motion. It does have some lope and shake to it at idle, which we set at 1k rpms, btw.

Torque starts ramping up at 3k rpms, peaking at about 4700rpm, hp peak is about 6500, dropping about 10hp by 7k rpm.

The power is very useable, and the car is much faster. Im very happy, and thoroughly approve of this mod. Of course, I cant enjoy it much, being victim of a sticking clutch at high rpms ever since I cranked up the power (spec hybrid is waiting to go in). Once thats done, on goes a 100 shot for some serious fun.

Cheers.
Oz

·
Registered
858 Posts
Great info, It is good to see people post this information to let members know that a big cam can have daily driver drawbacks. Can most of your cam surge issues be tuned out?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, its good to know.

More updates: Ive had the cats installed, no more fuel smell at every stop light, and as far as I can tell, still making the same power (of course this is butt dyno strictly).

I will be going back to my tuner for some datalogging, to see if theres anything more that needs to be done.

However, with the cats on the car now, the G5X3 is nearly unnoticeable. There is lope to the exhaust, and the car still shakes slightly more than stock, but you would never think that I have a big cam in there. It certainly doesnt sound like a 420rwhp car, in other words.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
What were your numbers PRIOR? How much did you get on the X3 by itself? I am interested too. Did you have to fly cut?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Precam, at 27 degrees timing, 91 octane: 388rwhp, 375rwtq.
Postcam (and ONLY the cam was changed), 23.5 degrees timing, 91 octane: 421rwhp, 386rwtq.

So, 33rwhp and 11 ft lbs at the wheels from the cam.

114LSA, btw. No flycutting.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
OZ,
Great number's congrats :thumb:

See Ya,
M.O.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Pakisho said:
Precam, at 27 degrees timing, 91 octane: 388rwhp, 375rwtq.
Postcam (and ONLY the cam was changed), 23.5 degrees timing, 91 octane: 421rwhp, 386rwtq.

So, 33rwhp and 11 ft lbs at the wheels from the cam.

114LSA, btw. No flycutting.
What does the 114 lsa mean? Doe sthi scam come in different lsa's? And, if it does, that means fly cutting? 33 rwhp is nice for 400 bucks. Its the install that costs money! Thanks- and yes, good numbers!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Nice numbers, thanks for the info :cheers:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
400 for the cam, but you also want good springs with a cam like this, for safetys sake. Plus hardened pushrods, plus the pulley, because it makes sense to do it at the time.

Its easily a 1500 dollar job, give or take, if you arnt doing the labor yourself.

And yes, i believe the pistons MAY require flycutting on a 112lsa. The lower LSA will give you more torque, at the expense of driveability (idle, etc etc).

·
Registered
204 Posts
The 112 will clear on stock headed cars, but it is close. It is recomended that you flycut. Pakisho lucked out on the labor. He's got a fellow vette enthusiast that gave him a good deal! :cheers: Your RPM band will change slightly with the 112 and the idle will be slightly rougher. Not too much power will be gained.
-matt

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
ss2z06 said:
The 112 will clear on stock headed cars, but it is close. It is recomended that you flycut. Pakisho lucked out on the labor. He's got a fellow vette enthusiast that gave him a good deal! :cheers: Your RPM band will change slightly with the 112 and the idle will be slightly rougher. Not too much power will be gained.
-matt

I noticed you have the G5X4 cam. How do you like it? How much power are you putting down? I have basically the same mods, but have the G5X3 cam right now and was considering an upgrade. I presume that I'd have to have the pistons fly-cut with the X4, something which my tuner did not find necessary with the X3 (on a 114 lsa). But I'd like to get your impressions first.

BTW, I have a fairly high degree of "drivability" tolerance. After adding the 90/90, I noticed a dramatic change in overall drivability, at least until the car is warmed up. But I deal with it.

Don

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Nice numbers and nice write-up. Congrats! :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts