Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the g5x3 with 66cc AFR's and mls gaskets. I am looking at upgrading to the g5x4. I am wondering if this cam will fit without fly cutting. I don't feel like pulling the heads again to do the swap. Does anyone know any of the specs on this cam? Is the driveability the same as the g5x3? How is the rpm band in comparison to the g5x3? Thanks for all of the help!
-matt

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
ss2z06 said:
I currently have the g5x3 with 66cc AFR's and mls gaskets. I am looking at upgrading to the g5x4. I am wondering if this cam will fit without fly cutting. I don't feel like pulling the heads again to do the swap. Does anyone know any of the specs on this cam? Is the driveability the same as the g5x3? How is the rpm band in comparison to the g5x3? Thanks for all of the help!
-matt
:-? :-?
I think Lou would even admit that the swap is :cen: !!
What do you hope to gain?
Spend your money for some bling because the cam swap will get you nada!!

Ken

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a chance to get the cam for free so that is why I got interested. I don't mind pulling the cam out in that case. I'm not into "bling" that much. I would pick up at least 10rwhp and tq across the board. With that being the case why not do it?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Youre just worried my car will be faster than yours..........from a roll, that is. I'll probably STILL be in the 13s.......at 120. :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have sent an e-mail to LGM this morning to get more info on the cam in question. I want to know if his lobe will work well with a 1.75 Jesel rocker. Also piston to valve clearance, advance ground into the cam and overlap spec's, etc. Hope to hear back soon.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The first thing I would do is mill those heads down to about 60cc's to bump up the compression to 11:1. Much less work that changing out the cam and probably worth more hp too. The large cam will bleed off some of the compression anyway so it should work the the crappy gas you have over there in CA.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Milling the heads and fly cutting would be a lot more work considering they are on the car. I would have done that before I put them on the car but decided against it. In addition this won't cost a thing.
-matt

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Whaddya mean its not gonna cost you?

If I had a friend nice enough to take my crappy old G5X3, and give me a brand new, bad azz X4 for a straight trade, I'd at LEAST swap a clutch and cam in his car free of charge. Cuz Im nice like that....

:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hehe, man let me know when you find a guy like that!!! I need one of those too! If it all works out i will take care of you. Oz give me a call later; I didn't here from you last night about the recent happenings.
-matt

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Looks like some lucky sod is going to be spraying a 100 shot into a G5X3, and through cutouts.

Talk about rolling thunder.......................

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey brad if I knew you would ever modify your car maybe we could work something out, but we all know it will probably never happen. When you got that cam it was considered large and now look at it. By the time we do something a t-rex will be a baby.
hehe,
-matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts