Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to clean my garage out from top to bottom. The only things that will be in there is my wife's car and to make room for a new 2002 Z06.

My question is... has anyone painted their garage floors? If so, what was required, what type of paint was used and how is it holding up for ya?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
619 Posts
There is garage-specific paint. It holds up pretty good.

Remember to put a sealant on top of the paint, this will save you a lot of headaches and it will look a lot better. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Good Luck. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I like the garage paint also, but my Z06 rests on Berber carpet. Nothing but the best for my baby. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Proexpert:

Wow, thought I was fussy! Too kewl! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif carpet less in Detroit /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
629 Posts
Paint looks good when you first put it down but it doesn't last forever.

Have you considered tile? I have seen some floors done in a black and white checkerboard pattern that looked great. Tile should last much longer than paint.

Carl

·
Registered
765 Posts
I painted my garage floor 4 years ago, and it's still holding up very well.

First I swept out the garage and removed the bigger grease spots. Then, following the directions, I used Muriatic Acid to etch the concrete and remove all contaminants. Muriatic acid is available at the hardware store - it's used for pools. Then I hosed out the acid and let the floor dry. Then I painted with Dutch Boy Porch and Floor Enamel paint. I'm pretty sure I put it down thick and only did one coat. Anyway, I use my garage for parking cars, working on them, constantly running the floor jack and jack stands across them, dropping tools /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif, etc. and the paint isn't chipped at all. There are some scuffs where things have been dragged across, but no scratches through to the concrete.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I used to work at a swimming pool. If you use the acid, be very careful. It can be some nasty stuff. Take it from someone who was working with teenagers (and was one) in an unsupervised area at a local pool. Wear a mask and watch your skin.

PS In case any of you were ever wondering (probably not), those baby pools are not supposed to be heated. And if you ever want to go home early, throw a kind size tootsie roll in the deep end and you can take the screaming kids home.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The problem with tile is that they tend to crack after a while and you constanly have to apply sealant to the grout.

Laminant, sort of like linolium, holds up really well and a lot of shops like to use it due to its low cost and high durability. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Do yourself a favor and use epoxy paint. It is a pain to work with and is a bit long to dry, but after a few coats your floor will look like glass and last almost forever. Remember, prep is EVERYTHING!!! Figure to loose use of the garage for the weekend and almost as long to do the job (a lot of waiting between coats) but you will love the results. Good luck. Bill
Oh yeah, will August and my new '02/06 ever get here????? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif:):)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts