Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a cam in my Z06. It's not as big as Don's.
I had the car tuned. It put down good numbers for a "little" cam (417HP,404TQ), but it absolutely stinks. I get a headache every time I drive. Is this a tuning issue or just the nature of the beast? I have no cats. The car is especially obnoxious at idle..
I was supposed to get a headache during the install, not after it was done.

Dave

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome to the smell of the Fifties and Sixties. :cheers:

·
21,382 Posts
A proper tune will minimize it but you won't get rid of all of it. Havings cats would also help.

I've grown use to it so it doesn't bother me now except when I have my nose close to the exhaust. :lol:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You need some Random Tech Matrix Cats on that beast! :yeadog: Backup choice: Gas mask from Army Surplus. :lol:

Bob

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The exhaust from my car will make your eyes water! :eyes: I love it! :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I smell like a gas-station every time I get out of the car - gotta love the petrol cologne.

Cats will hurt your power.

Bill

·
Registered
407 Posts
Same here.. This is the smell of power in the morning!! :jammin:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Put some 112 octane in the tank. It smells GREAT!!

I love the smell of racing gas in the morning. :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
THRLSKR said:
I smell like a gas-station every time I get out of the car - gotta love the petrol cologne.

Cats will hurt your power.

Bill

RT Metal Matrixs wont. There were a couple guys at the LG dyno day couple weeks back that made 3 more HP with them than w/o plus it get rid of the gas smell.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have to agree, tuning can help the situation but, will not rid the smell completely. Even with cats it will smell a little bit. Get a good tune and see if that makes it tolerable for you. Otherwise you are looking at putting some cats on it. Which is what I ended up doing because I couldn't stand going to work smelling like exhaust every day and sitting at stop lights with the windows open was killing me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Z06 Dave,
I have very similar hp & TQ numbers, but running thru high flow cat's.. You can only smell the raw gas and stuff, for a few mins until the Cat's heat up. After that, the smells is completely gone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking of throwing the cats back on, I do have a set of high flow's I got with my Kooks. But I am afraid I'll lose too much power.

I imagine I can get used to the smell, but my clothes even smell like exhaust after I drive my car. I'll have to smell some others to see it its normal or too bad.

How will the cats effect my tune? I'm not going to pay for another tune after I install them, I'll just run it at the track and see if my times get worse...

Dave

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well the smell without Cat's is strong and it's very hard to get use to it. If you drive your car on the street, and I assume you do, it's a big issue!!!
I have Kooks with the high flow cat's. I did not try them without, but can tell you I've seen an impact of only 3 hp and saw one from L.G. make more with the Cat's(2-4 hp).
I would re-install and check the impact at the track.

I do believe installing without checking the tune might make an impact on A/F ratios. Let see if someone else can chime in.
Good luck.

What type of cam do you have??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jz06man said:
Well the smell without Cat's is strong and it's very hard to get use to it. If you drive your car on the street, and I assume you do, it's a big issue!!!
I have Kooks with the high flow cat's. I did not try them without, but can tell you I've seen an impact of only 3 hp and saw one from L.G. make more with the Cat's(2-4 hp).
I would re-install and check the impact at the track.

I do believe installing without checking the tune might make an impact on A/F ratios. Let see if someone else can chime in.
Good luck.

What type of cam do you have??
It is the X1 (230/228 112 LSA)
Maybe the reverse splits smell more??? (try saying that 3 times)
I don't know, but I sure got ample of power all over the graph, from 2,000 rpm to redline, I was stunned, HP AND Torque all throughout the curve. I'll post the graph as soon as I hook up a scanner...The smell is almost worth the power, almost.
Dave

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Do I need to get some cheese to go with the whine? :rofl:

I remember a time not to long ago where there were NO such thing as CATS.

Nobody cried back then. :roll: :p

Spoiled children. ;)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I am putting down 486 RWHP (H/C setup) with LG's cats and I tried the off road pipes and only got 3 more hp. I have the 3 inch complete LG sytem.
The cats are behind the xpipe so I have no floor board heat issue.
I have no smell other than slight cold AM starts smell.
The only reason I am running cats is because my sons wants his off his ricer and I am being a role model.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yeah, mine stunk really bad when i had offroad pipes on. I have since then added RT high flow Cats and i cannot really feel any less power. Biggest difference was I got rid of most of the bad smell. I need to retune to get rid of the rest. I love my X1, glad you do too. I would love to see your dyno graph.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ask...and you shall receive......
this was actually not my best run, on another I had 404 Torque, but 417 HP was my best HP. I'll have to stop at the shop and print out the other graph. The cam is amazng though, power all over.

X1 Dyno

1 - 20 of 22 Posts