Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know numerous gas gauge issues exist w/the z. mine's not really problematic, just a little quirky. i noticed that no matter what level the gauge is at when i kill it, it never goes all the way back up to that level. it starts about 1/16 lower than indicated then gradually moves back up over the next few minutes of the engine running but never quite to the point of when i killed it. for example last night, parked it, noted it was on 11/16 exactly. i start it this morning the gauge reads right under 5/8. i have a five minute commute to work, right before i parked it had worked back up to nearly the level when i parked it but not quite. i wonder if i can fill up, start it and kill it about 20 times, and find out my gauge reads empty! anyone else noticed this, again none of the other issues, just not quite ever indicating where it was when you killed it?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think what you are seeing is normal ... I've seen the same thing on my 02 Zee.

There are two gas tanks, each having their own level sensor. When the car is running, one of the tanks is always kept full. When the car is shut down, the level in each tank may become the same, so when it's started a gain, there is a transfer of fuel from one to the other.

The bottom line is that it takes about 10 or 15 minutes for all this to equalize, so don't expect the gage to be dead nuts on when you first start the car. By the time it's all equalized, you probably have burned enough to make it go down a 1/16 on the gage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
I think what you are seeing is normal ... I've seen the same thing on my 02 Zee.

There are two gas tanks, each having their own level sensor. When the car is running, one of the tanks is always kept full. When the car is shut down, the level in each tank may become the same, so when it's started a gain, there is a transfer of fuel from one to the other.

The bottom line is that it takes about 10 or 15 minutes for all this to equalize, so don't expect the gage to be dead nuts on when you first start the car. By the time it's all equalized, you probably have burned enough to make it go down a 1/16 on the gage.

Though not Corvette related, it seems to be the same way for GM dual fuel tank trucks as well.

Brendan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts