Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Gavin and Beretta Celebrate GT1 Victory in Lime Rock ALMS

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  No Doubt 
#1 ·
While millions of Americans celebrated the nation's birthday with fireworks and amusement park rides, Corvette Racing spent the weekend after the Fourth of July on the roller coaster 1.54-mile Lime Rock Park circuit. Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta avoided the heavy holiday traffic on the congested road course and scored a .384-second victory in their No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R over Johnny O'Connell and Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R.

For the rest of the story visit: http://corvetteracing.com/history/2007releases/limerock/limerock3.shtml

#3 ·
I've all but stopped watching ALMS unless the Austin's are running in GT1.

I much prefer the SCCA World Challenge series which has backing from many manufacturers. Unfortunately in that series, GM is heavily backing the CTS-Vs, so I'm not sure how much support the Corvette teams like LGM actually get from GM. But, the racing sure is exciting.

#4 ·
I know what you mean. No competition=boring.
The Corvette Racing team, after so many great years of kicking everyone's butt, has successfully scared off all of its chicken :cen: competition.

#5 ·
I don't see Ford backing their Ford GT in any races anytime soon. Maybe Chrysler and their Viper. How long must we wait to see factory backed GT, Corvette, and Viper competing on the same dame at Le Mans?

#6 · (Edited)
I don't see Ford backing their Ford GT in any races anytime soon. Maybe Chrysler and their Viper.
Chrysler already does in the form of the Viper Competition Coupe as used in the SCCA World Challenge series Subdriver mentioned.

Ford doesn't make a race version of the Ford GT.

The C6-R is not soley a GM manufactured car, but rather a combination of GM designed and built parts as well as the creations of companies other than GM, namely Pratt & Miller and Katech for example.

That puts the Corvette racing program in their own league of sorts and without any competition other than from overseas. The fact that Aston Martin dropped out was likely a combination of cost as well as the logistical concerns of trying to effectively compete on two continents simultaneously.

I'd like to see Corvette Racing compete here in the U.S. and in Europe at the same time (not just once a year at Le Mans) and be as consistent in winning as they are now. That would be the true test. Afterall, it isn't fair to ask Aston Martin to do so when Corvette Racing won't do the same. To claim Aston Martin dropped out because they couldn't win is baloney, as they proved they are capable of winning both at Sebring and at Le Mans.

#8 · (Edited)
In order to qualify for Le Mans one has to compete in the Le Mans circuit, either here or in Europe.

Other than Le Mans, Corvette Racing competes only in the American Le Mans Series races held here in the U.S., yet some are asking Aston Martin for example to compete not only in Europe but here in the U.S. as well, at the same time. This leaves little wonder why they dropped out. Hint: it wasn't because they couldn't compete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.