Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is offering me his 3.90 gears out of a 2000 regular C5. He said the gears were set up by Cartek in New Jersey. Will the housing setup fit my 2001 Z06. He said we could swap gears because he wants to revert back to the 3.42 gears in his 2000 corvette. Basically, is there any difference between a 2001 Z06 gear housing and a 2000 C5. Any help would be much appreciated. Anyone know if switching from 3.42 to 3.90 gears would raise the MPH in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have benn looking more toward the 4.10 for my Z06. i believe the 3.90 will only bring about .4 on the qtr mile time. i am hearing closer to a full sec with the 4.10

as long as it doesn't add a shift to my qtr mile, it seems like the best way to go. still reseaching and trying to find a few who have gone to that gear set up.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
RSG_Racing said:
i have benn looking more toward the 4.10 for my Z06. i believe the 3.90 will only bring about .4 on the qtr mile time. i am hearing closer to a full sec with the 4.10

as long as it doesn't add a shift to my qtr mile, it seems like the best way to go. still reseaching and trying to find a few who have gone to that gear set up.
As Tom said the Zo6 has a stronger case, so get the gears but keep your case.

I have not noticed any difference in track times going from 3.90's ot 4.10's.Thats on alot of passes with both. I can't even feel the difference. Just know I have to shift sooner. You will not have to make a shift to 5th in the 1/4 unless your trapping 126+.(then you can raise the limiter.) I feel the fun factor on the streets has increased doing gears BUT you will spin more on street tires likely making your et worse. It's much harder to control the launch on street tires in the 1/4 mile with 3.90's or 4.10's than stock. So the minimal gain from the gearing will be wiped away by the 60' spinning unless you get a ton of launches under your belt and really master it. It will take more finesse. With drag radials or slicks you will see more of a gain but its not as much as people think. It all depends on wheelspin and 60(driver). It a good mod and the car will seem alot faster but may only be slightly faster provided good traction otherwise harder to get out of the hole. A good combo for the street would be nitto 555r2's and gears.

·
Registered
51 Posts
that is some good info to have. i was checking out gears and the severe duty builds were running $1600 - $3K... that is a ton of other parts i could buy instead. i geared my M3 and it really made a big diff it take off and qtr mi... but i may look toward other parts b4 a gear swap in the Z. my buddy took his new NO2 system off his ram air t/a to sell the car and is letting the kit go for about $500.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
RSG_Racing said:

as long as it doesn't add a shift to my qtr mile, it seems like the best way to go. still researching and trying to find a few who have gone to that gear set up.
To many downsides to 4.10's in a Z06. For the MN6 tranny the 4.10's are fine. The Z06 has much shorter gears in the MN12 Tranny and 3.90's are a better match. :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
FRC Tom said:
The Z06 has a stronger case.

I'm from Missouri the show me state. :p
Can you show me some proof.

Thanks
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts