Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gear Whine Noise (Need Help Please)

Ok so I have been trying to figure this out for over a month now and have tried to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Car 02 Z with 39,400 miles. Fluids all good/recently changed.

Gear whine noise through the gears especially above 3,000 RPM under load. Does not do it in same gear with just accelerating. Belts replaced about 5,000 miles ago. No leaks found belts look good. Does not do it when you goose it out of gear.

AIR pump suggested, water pump suggested( usually can't tell until they leak or seize up on ya)

Anyone have this problem and if so what was it and how long did it take to let you down. Getting ready to drive it to the fest. Thanks, Don
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,276 Posts
A gear whine sounding like a straight cut racing transmission?

It took me a while to get the GM dealer to respond orginally, but it tuned out to be too low fliud level in the diff.

The kicker was they had "topped it up" as part of some previous service. Turns out the "topped it up" to a too low level.

Don't try figure it out ;) I gave up - but never the less, they ended up replacing the diff under warranty. They told me by the time you hear the whine, the things all wore out.

(although I do think they were hoping to pin the repair on me - but GM ended up eating the cost)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
RC45 said:
A gear whine sounding like a straight cut racing transmission?

It took me a while to get the GM dealer to respond orginally, but it tuned out to be too low fliud level in the diff.

The kicker was they had "topped it up" as part of some previous service. Turns out the "topped it up" to a too low level.

Don't try figure it out ;) I gave up - but never the less, they ended up replacing the diff under warranty. They told me by the time you hear the whine, the things all wore out.

(although I do think they were hoping to pin the repair on me - but GM ended up eating the cost)
Thanks Paul,

Like the sound of a quiet set of gear drives not the noisy set not sure on the straight cut tranny sound?. I am not sure if the noise is diff related I guess noise transfers, but It sounds like it's coming from the front, and wouldn't the diff make noise all of the time? I replaced the rear end fluid with Amsoil and added a magnetic drain plug last week. Same with the trans, and watched the process. The dealer info was not to overfill the diff as it will push out the vent tube. There was some shiny stuff in the old fluid which was changed 7,000 miles before this one, but it had no solid pieces in it from the looks of it. Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
well i think i got the same thing as you and well so far i have been told it could be the alternator as it only makes the sound if i am going steady at like 65 mph - 75 mph. The sounds becomes more high pitched the faster i go and kinda disappears after 80mph or may be gets lost in the engine growl. I can let go of the gas and the sound goes away like some one switched off a button and it comes back as soon as i tap the gas pedal. So i am going to either get the alternator repalced or take it to Tony's dyno bec he can get the car upto 100 mph and get underneath the car to see where the sound is comming from (pretty sweet setup if you ask me).

ohh and i did replace my diffrential and tranny fluid with Amsoil but did not make any diffrence. i have the sound files i recorded using my phone you should try to do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Guys, basic engine/driveline diagnosis 101: if the noise you hear only occurs under load, it's NOT anything on the accessory drive. Alternator, Water Pump, P/S pump, these all see the same "load" whether you're accelerating in gear, cruising on the highway, or in revving the motor in neutral in your driveway.

These components can't tell the difference between the engine under load and the engine just revving, and will sound-off regardless of whether or not the car is moving.

Noises that come and go with the accelerator pedal, only when the car is rolling, are generally driveline issues. The torque tube, transmission and differential all "care" about the load being placed on them. Failing bearings in these components are characteristically load sensitive and will make more noise the more stress you place on them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
RocketSled said:
Guys, basic engine/driveline diagnosis 101: if the noise you hear only occurs under load, it's NOT anything on the accessory drive. Alternator, Water Pump, P/S pump, these all see the same "load" whether you're accelerating in gear, cruising on the highway, or in revving the motor in neutral in your driveway.

These components can't tell the difference between the engine under load and the engine just revving, and will sound-off regardless of whether or not the car is moving.

Noises that come and go with the accelerator pedal, only when the car is rolling, are generally driveline issues. The torque tube, transmission and differential all "care" about the load being placed on them. Failing bearings in these components are characteristically load sensitive and will make more noise the more stress you place on them.
MRKool. Altenator in good shape. Thanks

Thanks RocketSled,

I was thinking along these lines already. However the pressing question is if it is in any of these places, and the noise is getting louder to me. How long now after replacing with fresh fluid do I have? Which of course is guesswork, but for those who race or had this problem how long before it gives up the ghost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
dwjZ06 said:
MRKool. Altenator in good shape. Thanks

Thanks RocketSled,

I was thinking along these lines already. However the pressing question is if it is in any of these places, and the noise is getting louder to me. How long now after replacing with fresh fluid do I have? Which of course is guesswork, but for those who race or had this problem how long before it gives up the ghost?

Well transmission / diffrential in our cars is in the back and as yours and mine sound is comming from the front could it be the toruqe tube? Is there a way to check that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrKool said:
Well transmission / diffrential in our cars is in the back and as yours and mine sound is comming from the front could it be the toruqe tube? Is there a way to check that?
Good question without pulling it all apart. Maybe someone else has had a similar problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone? DJ Worm. FRC Tom. Anyone with higher miles on their cars? :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
My 01 did it. Sounded like it was coming from the front end, maybe the clutch. It was the rear end. By the time you hear it, its too late.

I went through 3 diffs before it was fixed right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Lot of Heat Going Back

:flaming: At 15,000 I hurd Noise :idea: So know I change my trans fluid when I change My Oil The new Z Has Coolers :mug: To help Know at 50,000 miles I took out the B M Shifter :) Put the stock one in Its Like New Again :ity: My Diff Three time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
dwjZ06 said:
MRKool. Altenator in good shape. Thanks

Thanks RocketSled,

I was thinking along these lines already. However the pressing question is if it is in any of these places, and the noise is getting louder to me. How long now after replacing with fresh fluid do I have? Which of course is guesswork, but for those who race or had this problem how long before it gives up the ghost?
Don, are you sure you have the right differential fluid in? did u break in your diff before pressing on the car? this happened to me once and the reason was because of the fluid i had in my diff.. the sound starts on higher gears then once the sound gets higher u can even hear it once u shift to 3rd gear... it will increase until it reaches a certain point..
i remember going through this it was a pain in the ass! had to get a new diff!

hope it gets solved soon man..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
405bhp said:
Don, are you sure you have the right differential fluid in? did u break in your diff before pressing on the car? this happened to me once and the reason was because of the fluid i had in my diff.. the sound starts on higher gears then once the sound gets higher u can even hear it once u shift to 3rd gear... it will increase until it reaches a certain point..
i remember going through this it was a pain in the ass! had to get a new diff!

hope it gets solved soon man..
Hey 405bhp,

Thanks for the reply.No it was making noise before I changed the fluid. I changed to make sure this was not part of the problem, and I wanted to upgrade to Amsoil fluids. I used the severe gear 75W-90 which is what is called for and it meets or exceeds GM's requirements. I also added the GM slip additive as well for insurance even though you do not have to use it with Amsoil. I'm still looking. I drove it Tuesday and it seemed quieter to me. I guess I will just drive it until it gives me more info or it breaks down on me. Which should be fun going to the fest and back. Maybe I should map out all of the Chevrolet dealers from here to there. :bang:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MSiska said:
And make sure they have a rear diff in stock!
Maybe I should carry one with me! :ity:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
Oh yeah...I have a stock 3.42 Z06 ring & pinion sitting in my garage Don...if you need it...it's yours...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MSiska said:
Oh yeah...I have a stock 3.42 Z06 ring & pinion sitting in my garage Don...if you need it...it's yours...
Thanks Mike,

Very kind offer. I guess we will see what happens. If it is the rear your 3.73's idea sounds good. DTE brace as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,384 Posts
I got a faint whine after a hard day at the strip where I ran my best of 12.15 on street tires. Over a week it got worse and worse until it howled. It's was definately load sensitive. Turned out the pinion gear had shiftet and wore a new pattern in the ring gear so the dif was replaced under warranty. Good luck!
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top