Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I will be taking my car to finally get the clutch and rear done with both hardened output shafts. I figured while having this done, I will have the tranny fluid changed as well as an oil change, as I have 20K miles and Im due. I spoke to the shop to ask them about using Amsoil, and they told me that they use the stock GM fluids and Mobil 1 oil. This is a very reputable shop, however, should I insist on using Amsoil in the rear and tranny? Since this will be a new rear, is it ok to use Amsoil right away? The shop said that the GM diff fluid is synthetic and thats why they use that. Also, how much should I expect to pay for the tranny fluid change if they are using the stock GM fluid, and how much more should I expect to pay to use the Amsoil? Please let me know since everything will already be apart, I want to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I switched from Mobil 1 to AMSOIL as all the research I did led me to believe that AMSOIL is better. Many will disagree.

I have been using AMSOIL Series 2000 Motor Oils with the AMSOIL SDF 32 Oil Filter for the engine, AMSOIL ATF in my tranny, and AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 in my diff for my last two seasons and am extremely happy with the results.

These fluids meet all GM Z06 specifications and all are PAO based synthetics. These fluids are all safe to use on new engines, trannys and differentials. The AMSOIL 75w90 gear lube comes with the limited slip friction modifier already added.

I would guess the cost of the fluid change would be the same, less the cost of the fluid if you bring your own.

As a reminder, sales through my dealership (including the banner to the left) or that of DJWORM benefit my race team and this forum. Thanks for your support. :cheers:

Preferred Customers buy at wholesale:
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
gmblack3 said:
I suggest you get a clutch bleeder extender. LAPD carries them.
Good advice as this device makes future clutch bleeds a five minute job instead of a three hour ordeal. However, if you do get one, be sure to cover it in a protective sheath near the fuel line as there have been cases reported of the bleeder line rubbing through the fuel line on the bulkhead with catastrophic results. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Couple of things...

Have them wrap your clutch lines in some insulation, that'll keep you from potentially boiling the fluid from the heat off the headers.

Amsoil...

I have an '89 Toyota 4x4 pickup with 260k miles. The clutch went out last year, and dad and I have been slacking putting it back together. We finally started working on it in bits and pieces not long ago... Anyway, when it had 170k miles, I switched it over to amsoil synthetics in the diffs, trans, transfer case. So, 90k miles later, the fluid was drained so that we could replace the seals (might as well, while its apart).

The oil came out looking new. Still the nice clear amber color of the new oil. This truck has pulled boats & cars (weenie toyota with a 3L V6), climbed rocks, and been driven extensively in LA and BayArea stop and go traffic. It has not had an easy life (nor has it been abused), and the oil in there looked wonderful.

I switched oils in it when I refilled the trans though... I put the amsoil severe duty gear oil in. I figure its worth the extra $3-4/quart, just in case.

I have also switched over my cars to amsoil through out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts