Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this specific camshaft is street legal for california emissions. If anyone has any good/bad information on this cam, please let me know what you think of it.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I think you might get past the pcm emissions test but you won't get past the actual tailpipe emission testing with that great cam..

Pretty much my research showed that the 224/224 .581 or .563 114 lsa cam was what has past the tailpipe emission testing.

With that information and you haven't done headers yet or too many other bolt ons...(technically Long tubes are not legal for visual testing California either)

I would suggest the magnuson intercooled supercharger. Around here on the east coast...there often is a well respected tuner that offers this magnuson intercooled S/c with painted hood installed for around 8 grand.

Sounds like more than the basic cam/header install...but thats what I would recommend..

By the time your done with pully, headers, ls1edit, cam....valve springs...gears....you really could have just gone with the magnuson supercharger...

If you have a 2001 Z06...I'd say the 224/224 .563 114lsa w/headers and dual valve spring kit is a nice step up and you should with a good tune easily pass emissions testing...

but with crazy states like California, The CARB exempt intercooled magnuson is not a bad way to go..

Just don't do headers..and take advantage of the 200 dollar 36K mile/ 36 month warranty..

JMO

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
What kind of horse power gain's would this cam give to a 04 Z, with long tube's? And how much bigger is this then a stock Z cam?

Thank you in Advance :thumb:

224/224 .581 or .563 114 lsa cam.

Mike

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Morzoff said:
What kind of horse power gain's would this cam give to a 04 Z, with long tube's? And how much bigger is this then a stock Z cam?

Thank you in Advance :thumb:

224/224 .581 or .563 114 lsa cam.

Mike
Mike, I have this cam in my 2001 with headers/pully/tb/intake and 3.73 gears and have dyno'd three different times....Yes the gears take up some of the hp...maybe 3 to 5 hp? so for arguments sake lets just call it 400rwhp with 3.42's.

Quite honestly....if I had a 2002 or newer (2004) and its larger than 2001 cammed ls6...I wouldn't bother putting the cam this size in.

I wanted more power...yet didn't want to deal with emission testing hassles...been there and done that and quite frankly I don't have the time or patience to deal with it...

I wanted to remain tailpipe emissions friendly and based my information after a huge search on the various ls1 engine sites...Ie. www.ls1tech.com The cam I chose has passed california emission tailpipe testing...(according to people over at ls1tech.com)

NJ is almost as bad as california with emissions....but has just recently went to pcm testing....so I could have gone to the G3X5 type cam and still passed pcm testing. Hindsight 20/20 and my tuner did suggest to me to go larger...I just didn't want to fail the emissions tailpipe testing that was still in effect here...

Anyways.....I wouldn't bother swapping from the 2002 and newer LS6 cam to the 224/224 114lsa cam and stay with stock heads....

You might if you really want to stay n/a like I did....go with AFR heads.. & .(if I remember correctly 224/228 .581 114lsa)

Check with Tony Mamo of AFR to see if it passes tailpipe california testing..but the problem becomes...passing the visual testing in california with long tube headers..

I don't know what its like out in california so I'm trying to give you the best information for the letter of the law..

Thats why I believe a stock exhaust manifold intercooled magnuson supercharger might be a better alternative than the cam/headers deal...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts