Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much of a PITA is it to install those gill screens. I have seen them on a few z's and they do go well with front screens. Thanks for any detailed info. :z:

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's very easy to do. I'm sure that somewhere on the forums there is a how to but follow along anyway.

The ideal way is to raise the front of the car and remove the wheels to gain access to the inner fender screws. However it isn't required. You can simply turn the steering wheel full lock. If you do it this way you'll be able to remove enough screws holding the inner wheel liner and what I describe as an inner fender cover so that you can squeeze you hand through.

Note: remove it (the inner fender cover) to open up more airflow for the engine compartment just be aware that if you do so on the passenger side you will expose your PCM directly to the elements.

Clean the area that the 3m tape will contact with rubbing alcohol. Then put the screens into position and press firmly. I bought mine from www.corvettegarage.com and they came with additional 3m tape blocks that hold the screens into position. Anyway, once in place replace the screws an you are done.

Mine have been on since last summer and have remained in place for over 5000 miles to include a trip from Texas to Nebraska.

One of my favorite appearance mods to date.

Arthur

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not a difficult mod at all. Roushraven's write up says it all. The only issue I had with them coming off was on the driver's side, but this only happened because I knocked it out of place with my hand while trying to wash around my BSM's. :screwy:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
They are fairly easy to install, a few guys have even installed them w/o removing anything although roushraven's writeup is the "documented or proper" way to do it. LAPD and/or PFYC at one time also had step-by-step instructions online.

I have them and like 'em but like many others mine fall off pretty easily. It's the the damn inner edge that keeps coming undone. I've gotten to the point where I can re-attach it w/o removing anything... :guiness:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My advice is not to bother. They're a pain to install and whatever you do, they always come unstuck. I even tried super glue at one point. Ended up losing my patience and just taking them off. I also have the front ones and the rear ones. The rear ones I still have on the car, but the front ones were also a pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts