Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a brief family vacation to South Haven Michigan (hmmm wonder why I chose that location ;) )

Anyhow, since I have a MWC race coming up, I thought I'd get some practice in, so I did a "tune 'n test" Friday night.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, these are awesome sessions, most evenings, 5:30 - 8:30, only $60.

I got lots of laps in, a best time of 130.3. :jammin: I could do 132.5 relatively consistently when I got open track. The 130.3 was a bit of an anamoly as I got no other times in the 30's or 31's.

Car is stock except Toyo RA1s, good pads, and cooling / safety equip.

Share your times / cars here, please

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice going 1:30 on RA1's is super fast! That's better than I though Z06 could do I figured high 1:31's low 1:32's was the car's limit. Ron Fellows did 1:33.9 in a stock car on F1's and figure RA1's are worth maybe a secong or two over F1's. Even if that 1:30 lap wasn't legit, 1:32's is still flying!

·
Banned
809 Posts
Mafia said:
Nice going 1:30 on RA1's is super fast! That's better than I though Z06 could do I figured high 1:31's low 1:32's was the car's limit. Ron Fellows did 1:33.9 in a stock car on F1's and figure RA1's are worth maybe a secong or two over F1's. Even if that 1:30 lap wasn't legit, 1:32's is still flying!
I'll second that! What kind of experience do you have? Did you used to run Champ Car or ALMS? ;)

Sal

·
Registered
891 Posts
We went last Wednesday with friends. No times.

MCSCC for some reason doesn't want to let AX/Timetrails members run for time on that track. Last time I went times were less than one lap so you can't compare it to anything.

It's really discouraging to have Midwestern Council pick holiday weekend race dates at GingerMan and then bitch about traffic thru Indiana. This year its a DE event on Monday....

You are fortunate to have family that allows "vacation" in South Haven. My wife says she would rather watch paint dry than go to a track.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:

MCSCC for some reason doesn't want to let AX/Timetrails members run for time on that track. Last time I went times were less than one lap so you can't compare it to anything.

It's really discouraging to have Midwestern Council pick holiday weekend race dates at GingerMan and then bitch about traffic thru Indiana. This year its a DE event on Monday....

You are fortunate to have family that allows "vacation" in South Haven. My wife says she would rather watch paint dry than go to a track.
May I suggest Valspar in the one gallon container. Buy one gallon for each day you are at the track. She could stay home and watch it or hold up in a hotel by the track. That's what I like, a supportive wife. She should be timing you instead of bitching about it.

D.J.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
My Lake home is only 20 minutes from South Haven, guess I should take the car there sometime.

Joe

·
Registered
895 Posts
GNX Guy said:
My Lake home is only 20 minutes from South Haven, guess I should take the car there sometime.

Joe
Joe,

I was thinking the same thing. We just got back from spending a week at the house we have in Grand Haven, only about an hour or so from South Haven.

I think next year I'll have to bring the Z along and see what is going on at the track.

Steve

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe / Steve -

The easiest way to check it out quick / cheap is those evening sessions. Often there are only 2-5 cars in a group.

Alternatively CGI Motorsports runs high track time / low $$ track days up there on Mondays.

If you guys have summer homes up there, it's a must, and BTW, isn't that side of lake Michigan awesone? Everytime I'm up there, I get the urge to pitch the city life, and move up there...

Aaron

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UstaB-GS549 said:

That's odd about MWC - in years past they have had timed AX at GIN. You should get a lap timer for your track days, it adds fun and competition (with yourself)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
salvador said:
I'll second that! What kind of experience do you have? Did you used to run Champ Car or ALMS? ;)

Sal
I have run Gingerman a lot over the past 4-5 years :blush: Still can do better, more consistent. It is a technical track. The real test will be my first w to w race there, though :eyes:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UstaB-GS549 said:
My wife complains a lot, but has gone more this year to the track than any other year before. When she used to go, she would follow me in her SUV, and I'd drive the track car. Now I got a trailer, and that makes it better for her. Plus, my boys (11 and 7) love to go, so she's out-numbered and out- campaigned. :ity:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Aaron,

I checked out CGI and they had a track day the Monday we were there.

We are always in Grand Haven for the Coast Guard Festival week (1st week of August). With the Fest the 3rd week of July, we usually go home to KC for a week and then leave for Michigan.

Will have to plan for a couple of days at Gingerman next year.

Steve

·
Registered
891 Posts
In all fairness, she supports my insanity, it's just that she doesn't want to be there. It was her idea for me to get fresh race tires this year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A well driven T1 vette will lap in the 1:29's at Gingerman...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts