Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, Z06'ers, here's my assessment of the car on-track:

I took a 2002 Z06 (might have been mine, can't really say:D) to Gingerman http://www.gingermanraceway.com yesterday. The car was stock, other than some appearance mods, B&M shifter, and 6 point harnesses. Didn't get the hawk pads in time, so brakes were stock as well. Approx. 4000 miles on the car.

Put in 7.5 qts. of oil, aired up the tires to 37#F, 35#R. Weather 65 and cloudy.

Lots of other cars showed up, from a Formula 5000 car (1970 badass open wheel racer with HUGE slicks) to a Dakota pickup. Highlights were a 99-00 C5 (more on that later:eek: ), a Viper, a 911 sweet sounding ride, and an Evolution V right hand drive. See picts below.

They broke us up into 4 groups, from fast to slow. I opted for the fast group, figuring I could hold my own even with the Viper and F5000 car in my group.

First session was dry, with a little mist coming down. I went out with TC off/AH on, just to get the feel of things. Did about 5 laps and came in the pits to let things cool a bit and collect my thoughts. I initially went out behind the F5000 car and followed him the entire time!:cool: I figured he would drive off into the sunset. The Viper was behind me and he disappeared in my rearview.:cool: :cool: I noticed that AH was VERY intrusive for me....when the car would get a little loose the AH would kick in and very abruptly bring the car back in line. Not smooth at all. Could not get the rotation in the corners that I wanted to point the car.

After pitting for about 2 minutes (keep that parking brake on, foot off the brake pedal!) I turned off AH, started the stopwatch, and proceeded back out. Run some clean laps in the 1:39's, still leaving a lot on the table in the braking zones and at corner exit. Better safe than sorry for the first session. With AH off things were MUCH better. However, I figured by the end of the day I could be into the 1:35's - better just take it easy and get the feel of the car for the first session. Towards the end of the run the F5000 car caught me and inched away after the point-by. He finally got some heat in those big meats and was on the move. Sweet!

As luck would have it, it rained the rest of the day, making for some interesting laps for everyone. Having run on the track in the rain many years ago, I had a good feel for what the track was like. Second session I ran with TC off/AH on just to be safe. Again it was not very smooth but better than getting off track. The F5000 car wisely packed up and left, so it was me and the Viper that got to play. I followed him out of the pits and ran in his spray for about 3 laps. Why isn't he pointing my by??? Oh yeah, lights might help. Turned on the lights and he let me by. Drove away from him quickly. He never did figure out the rain line - he was hanging the back end out in every corner and getting ugly loose at the exit of every corner. Hehe...dude, watch and learn!:D

Third session - raining hard and puddles everywhere. Had TC off / AH off this time - it's all up to me now! Woohoo, rain line is working great, having AH off requires a little correction and lighter throttle at corner exit but all is good. Short shifting seemed to help quite a bit as well. Hydroplaning like crazy about 80mph!!! Pass the Viper again... :p Had a BIG moment heading into turn one at one point - on the brakes at about 90mph I hydroplaned while I was trying a new inside line to avoid the puddles. Hit a puddle anyway and the car swung sideways, the ABS went bezerk but didn't seem to help much. I lifted off the brakes and corrected the car as it headed towards the thin strip of grass between the track and the ARMCO barrier. Ended up getting the car slowed and made the corner with room to spare. Close call - note to self: don't use that line again!:mad: Ended up running 2:02's in the rain.

Second group, third session - the C5 coupe ate the wall, HARD! :( See other thread for picts.

Went back out for the Fourth and final session, track was wet but puddles were gone. Nothing new but speeds were up without the hydroplaning.

Didn't notice any brake problems at all, but would like to have run more laps in the dry to know for sure what the stock system is capable of. Did notice that the brake pedal is low, since the pads are worn quite a bit. Gotta get those Hawks on soon! Tires showed a bit of wear/feathering on the outside edge. More camber would help that, but not the ticket for the street. Overall I was impressed with the grip of the car in the wet and in the dry. It was well behaved and didn't do anything unpredictable at all. Very nice to drive on the edge. Harnesses had me firmly planted in the seat - don't think it would have been much fun without them.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for sharing this with us - really enjoyed the write-up. I was especially interested in your description re how intrusive the AH was. In your opinion, could that be related at all to the elevated tire pressures you were running??

:)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any baselines to compare to since it was my first track event with the car. I did talk to my buddy (GM test engineer and GM driver training guru) and he said that they normally run 32# Front and 29# Rear pressure for the Z06 on track. This is per Heinricy's setups for a stock Z. I'll be trying lower pressures next time for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.