Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 01 Z, QS. I'm amazed that a vehicle that listed for > $48k new, was put "out on the streets" with rotors that rust on the hats.....it really looks like hell. Is there any replacement rotor that can be purchased to eliminate the eye sore? Trying to paint them is a waste.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The rotors are iron.

Iron rusts. The hats on the original OEM rotors are painted black. Replacement OEM rotors seemed to sometimes have painted hats, other times not - so this leads me to believe that the ones on your car are replacement.

I just walked outside to look at my car - and 3 have the painted hat, one has an unpainted hat. It is really not a big deal, but if it really gets to bother me, I will go buy can of heat-resitant paint at Autozone, take the wheels off, remove the rotors and paint em :)

BTW, those "cheap $30 a piece GM rotos" may not look as cool as those cross-drilled, slotted $3000 bling street setups.. but they stop just as quick, and are a lot cheaper to replace (the bling rotors crack just as quickly).

I really wouldn't let a $40 problem ruin your experience of a great car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are a variety of aftermarket rotors which are coated, I have Baer Eradispeeds on one of my cars and they have some kind of gold-colored coating. Also, some aftermarket rotors, such as the Baers or Stoptechs, are a step above GM stuff in durability.

You can paint rotors. In fact, I have painted just that area you describe of the rotors on my Camaro.

Remove the rotor, abrade the rusted area--you don't need to remove all the rust, just get the worst of it--with a coarse Standard Abrasives BriteRite pad or something like that. Then, paint the rotors with Eastwood's Hi-Temperature coating. It comes in several colors (I used silver). You don't even need to worry about masking anything as, once you put the rotors back on and hit the brakes the first time, any paint you got on the brake plates is wiped right off.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
As stated above the rotors are very cheap to replace, around 100.00 for all four. You can upgrade to more expensive one's (zinc coated) or you can paint them if you are into just the show.

But if you plan on tracking the car, you will be replacing them so often it will be a non-issue. I am averaging about three track days before needing new brakes and pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts