Corvette Z06 Forum banner

GM Buyback Possible with this Problem?

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  hcvone 
#1 ·
As some of you know from a previous thread of mine, my Z came from the factory with a tranny leak. I discovered it when the car had ~200 miles on it. I have leared that in order to drop the tranny in a C5, the whole power train from the engine back (including the whole subframe, suspension, etc) needs to be removed. This makes me cringe to think about someone doing this job as fast as possible to make the flat-rate warranty time alloted :eek:. I drive this car FAST sometimes, and if something was not reassembled correctly, it could cause a major accident and who knows what else. I know I sound like I have no confidence in the GM techs, but I know how this story goes -- believe me. This car also has a slightly deformed hood, a loose nose facia structure underneath the nose, and came from the railroad with scraps under the nose and on the driver's door. If I would have known about all these problems before I took delivery of the car, I would not have not accepted it.

So, my question is -- what would it take to make GM buy this car back and give me another one? I'm thinking an act of God, or maybe even more :roll:. I live in WA state, so I'm sure it hinges on the laws in this state.

Can anyone give me some advice on this, or is it a waste of my time?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have read about your problems from day 1 and thought you should have rejected the car at the point of delivery. Contact GM first and give them a chance to get your car 100%. If your still unhappy call or visit your local BBB, they should have all the forms you need to start the arbitration. At this point I think you would lose. Play your hand out 1st with GM. Best of luck, FUBU69/LES

#4 ·
Scott, I am really bummed for you:( I was really looking forward to those Fast roads:D

If I was you i would find the best local GM mechanics, talk to them, and let them fix your ride. Bummer though on a new car :( If you need my help in any way, let me know.

John

#5 ·
Hmpppphhhh!

Lemme clue you in about GM and service.....can you say oxymoron? My FRC was in 9 times in 15 months for MAJOR issues, when I traded her the propeller shaft was rattling, dash bubbling, front seat rocking. Other problems included NO FACTORY SEAL between the hardtop and the decklid over the trunk, none, nada, someone was smokin a cig while they were making my car, column lock, window motors, ignigition problems, control module problems. I had everything documented, plus a blow up with the dealer.......guess what? I got offered $1300 for my inconvience and time at two dealers. I do have a file with pics, letters and I documented every conversation.

Did I mention that TRAPP chevrolet in Houma...the dealer that I purchased the car from at full sticker price broke or messed up the car everytime it was in for service, we had to go to another dealer? I complained even to the customer service reps at the museum and managed a measly $1300.

My advice, bail on the car, get yourself a good deal on a new car...if its a lemon its a lemon and expect a protracted fight with GM. It was much easier to trade it in and get a new car. My new Z06 hasn't had any problems yet, I am hoping I just got a lemon last time.

Not trying to depress you, I justed needed to vent.

#8 ·
Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with the car, ZeeOhSix. I can imagine you're very much in the "what next" mode, and I can see why you'd want to return the car.

I think you should give GM a chance. This seems more like an accumulation of moderate problems than any one 'show-stopper'.

In Michigan, you have to declare in writing that you are invoking the lemon law. From that point on, the dealer gets three attempts to fix the problem(s). There isn't much 'fighting' involved. They either get it done or they don't.

I'm not sure how it works in Washington, but if similar you might want to declare notice just so they take it seriously and you don't waste any time. Nobody who can afford a $50K car has the time to deal with this.

Regarding the transmission, I would not worry about it too much. There's no reason you can't take the car to a good dealership. There are mechanics who will do the job right, you just have to find one.

I don't have factory manuals yet, but from what I can see, the rear suspension is modular. It doesn't look like that big of a deal. It may take a little time, but it doesn't look like rocket science. I don't think there's much they can screw up there. Has anyone in the forum done this on a C5??

The mechanic might even do a better job than the folks who bolted that sub-assembly in on the line. At least he's going to be looking/swearing at it for a few hours.

Before I drive my Z FAST, I'm going to totally check it over myself. That includes checking the torque on all of the major chassis and suspension components. I would never trust the mechanic or factory's work. And if you're driving the car hard, you should re-check them periodically anyway..

I hope it works out for you.

#9 ·
My tranny needed to be replaced. I had it done by a Corvette only tech who did a fine job, no problems. Try and find someone who knows what they'd doing, and let GM try and fix it first. If you can't find a Chevy dealer with a mechanic of your choice, see if Chevy will pay an independent shop to swap the tranny - don't laugh, 15 years ago my car had a bad front end vibration, and when the dealer couldn't find the problem, the car mfr paid for an independent race shop to fix my car's suspension. Problem solved, I was happy.

Wild about the cigar - of all the times I've gone through the factory, never saw cigars. I wonder if it was smoked post manufacture?

#12 ·
There is NO job that requires an impact. Impacts are evil things.
Impact wrenches don't kill Corvettes. People kill Corvettes.

I suppose you could negotiate with your service department regarding the use of an impact. They should probably charge you more, of course.

I own 5 impacts (4 air and one electric that gets used the most), 5 torque wrenches and a rod bolt stretch fixture. Clearly, I do not hesitate to use the impact on my own cars. You can bet that includes the 3" wheel studs on the race car.

I don't follow the reason for your concern. Either he's going to do the job carefully and correctly, or he isn't. The impact doesn't seem to be the determining factor there.

Strut nuts on many cars do not come off without an impact. Front accessories are another example of a case where I wouldn't do the job without an impact ratchet. Life is too short, knuckle skin is too precious ;)

#13 ·
Impacts and leaks...

Funny this topic should come up. A friend of mine is the service manager at Timmers Chevrolet in Pasadena. The have a new C5 with the exact same problem. One of my friends went by there a day or so ago and commented that they had a brand new corvette with a rearend leak, and that they ended up having to pull the entire rear section out of the car. It is my understanding that they simply replaced the whole unit.

I hope they can get yors fixed to your satisfaction. But, unfortunately stuff like this happens sometimes with new cars. But don't get too worked up yet. There is no reason that you can't use an impact on this. Also, this stuff really only goes on one way. I don't think you are in any danger of the entire rear section falling out of your car.

Just as an example. My father purchased an 88 corvette brand new. It died afters its second tank of gas. The injectors all looked as if they had play-doh coming out of them. Something had contaminated the fuel system, and plugged the injectors. The car had to sit at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting for new injectors, fuel pump, and the rest of the fuel system. But once they were replaced, we never had another problem with the fuel system ever again.

So, give them a chance to fix it correctly, and if they don't, then pursue your legal options.

#14 ·
Re: Impacts and leaks...

J-Rod said:
Funny this topic should come up. A friend of mine is the service manager at Timmers Chevrolet in Pasadena. The have a new C5 with the exact same problem. One of my friends went by there a day or so ago and commented that they had a brand new corvette with a rearend leak, and that they ended up having to pull the entire rear section out of the car. It is my understanding that they simply replaced the whole unit.

I hope they can get yors fixed to your satisfaction. But, unfortunately stuff like this happens sometimes with new cars. But don't get too worked up yet. There is no reason that you can't use an impact on this. Also, this stuff really only goes on one way. I don't think you are in any danger of the entire rear section falling out of your car.

Just as an example. My father purchased an 88 corvette brand new. It died afters its second tank of gas. The injectors all looked as if they had play-doh coming out of them. Something had contaminated the fuel system, and plugged the injectors. The car had to sit at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting for new injectors, fuel pump, and the rest of the fuel system. But once they were replaced, we never had another problem with the fuel system ever again.

So, give them a chance to fix it correctly, and if they don't, then pursue your legal options.
It's called "SUGAR"......:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.