Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These cut down the brake dust amazingly!!
I have them on for about a month now & I can say they do what they're advertised to do.
It used to be that when my front rims were clean, a short trip to the store would start the dust build up. By day 2 it was very noticeable.
With the ceramics, the rims look like they were recently cleaned & there is almost no dust. It's equal to or better then the rears! I'd definitely recommend it.
Ron

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
In 02 z06s GM used differant then the 01 z06s. They wanted to get the skid pad numbers, down so they used a differant pad that was designed for track use. These caused lots of dust and sqweeks. I got warranty to swap my 02 pads for 01 pads and they are dust free and have no noise. They must be the GM ceramic pads.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I put in a set of GM Durastop Ceramics last summer, great mod! I did all 4 wheels and have not seen any brake dust since! :thumb: :thumb:

Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same here. No more squeeks and dirty front wheels. It's one of the best things I've done to the car so far (and the cheapest).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
pauln64 said:
how do they compare with other ceramic pads out there?

The only other ceramic pad out there I hear anyone talk about for the C5's is the Raybestos QuietStops, which are the same pad.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I need to get some of these. With a black car its already a chore to keep clean but damn those front wheels are a pain.

·
Registered
372 Posts
AZ sells the Morse Ceramic pads. They work very well, but have not compared to GM ceramics. Morse is an OE builder so the stuff is pretty good quality. No complaints here. Have em on a WS6, Zo6 and G35 coupe. The G35 is the only car I have ever seen dust more than my Z with stock pads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
any difference in braking between the original z06 pads vs the gm ceramic?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
joe c said:
any difference in braking between the original z06 pads vs the gm ceramic?
yes. you no longer have that inital bite. you will also come across brake fade sooner than you usually would. but you have to drive the car crazy hard for a long period of time to get the fade. i've had the ceramics for nearly 2 years and just had my first fade issue a couple weeks back. so unless you drive like a psychopath you'll never notice. :sneaky:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
These cut down the brake dust amazingly!!
I have them on for about a month now & I can say they do what they're advertised to do.
It used to be that when my front rims were clean, a short trip to the store would start the dust build up. By day 2 it was very noticeable.
With the ceramics, the rims look like they were recently cleaned & there is almost no dust. It's equal to or better then the rears! I'd definitely recommend it.
Ron

I noticed they are about 50 bucks for the front set. Sounds like something I would like to do. Did you put them on yourself? Pay for them to be put on? I am not familiar with the ease of which these can be installed myself. Is it fairly easy to learn? What are your suggestions for installation if I were to get some ceramic pads myself? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
311 Posts
phantasms said:
yes. you no longer have that inital bite. you will also come across brake fade sooner than you usually would. but you have to drive the car crazy hard for a long period of time to get the fade. i've had the ceramics for nearly 2 years and just had my first fade issue a couple weeks back. so unless you drive like a psychopath you'll never notice. :sneaky:

So the quality of the braking does not change when switching to ceramic? I have never experienced fade in braking so I don't know how it affects braking quality. I am just looking for clarification or further explanation. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
pretty much unless you road race it you're not going to tell the difference. the first day you drive with it you'll notice that extra bite the stockers have is gone. like when you put new brakes on a car it grabs really hard at first. there's a bit of that feeling all the time with the stock Z brakes. you'll lose that with the ceramics. go for it...it's worth it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Part number?

Anyone has the part number for these gm ceramic pads?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
vettemann7 said:
I noticed they are about 50 bucks for the front set. Sounds like something I would like to do. Did you put them on yourself? Pay for them to be put on? I am not familiar with the ease of which these can be installed myself. Is it fairly easy to learn? What are your suggestions for installation if I were to get some ceramic pads myself? Thanks for any suggestions!
The pads are easily replaced with tools you probably already have around the garage. I used the link below to replace my pads and rotors a year+ ago. The instructions are very good. I am not very mechanically inclined and I did it so I think's it's pretty safe to say just about anyone can!!!

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/show...highlight=rotor

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hitman1 said:
Anyone has the part number for these gm ceramic pads?
No but I found them under gmpartsdirect and then went to corvette c5 upgrades. They were listed there around 50 for front and 50 for back. I will PM you the link if you can't find them from how I described.

·
Registered
311 Posts
bigbadbevo said:
The pads are easily replaced with tools you probably already have around the garage. I used the link below to replace my pads and rotors a year+ ago. The instructions are very good. I am not very mechanically inclined and I did it so I think's it's pretty safe to say just about anyone can!!!

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/show...highlight=rotor
Your link didn't work! Good to know that I should be able to easily do them myself. Thanks for the info and if you could repost the link that would be great.
:z:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts