Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an interesting phone call from my dad yesterday and it was alarming to hear. He was told by two different people, one group of ASE certified mechanics and the owner of Sims Radiator here in GA, that the GM dexcool is horrible and causes cracked head gaskets as well as eats heater cores??? :eek:o: They said I should "run" home and flush immediately.......... :eek:o:

This was shocking to me and I hardly believe it as I own, a daily driver, 98 Grand Prix GT and it has 124K miles on it and the coolant has never been changed only topped off. Manual recommends changing at 100k, ooppsss. :crazy:

They claim that it turns to a jelly type of matter after being heated and cooled so many times. They also claim that GM is aware of this issue but will not announce or admit, as they bought so many gallons of this stuff they must use it all, then will revert back to the standard green coolant.

What do you guys think? Has anyone heard this before? I know alot of you guys track your cars under some hard conditions, and I have never heard of them changing to the green coolant because of issues related to the dexcool.

Share some insight if you can guys........ :thumb: :z: Thanks!

·
21,378 Posts
I posted something about this a little while back. It seems some have had problems with it but if the truth be known, it's probably their fault.
If you don't contaminate it then it should last all of 100k miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts