Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From autoweek.

GM is pondering the possibility of building a high powered version of the corvette to go after exotics from automakers like Ferrari and Porsche, Automotive news reports.
If GM officials sign off, which is a significant hurdle given Corvette's single car heritage, the second car under the Corvette umbrella would carry a sticker in the $100,000 range. It also may be powered bt a version of the experimental 750hp V12 engine GM will reveal in the upcoming Cadillac Cien Concept (AW, Sep, 3, 2001 issue) page 4

Joe

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
fcalmes said:
:eek: I guess that's one Vette that I won't be buying 2 of!! :eek:
There are some possibilities this might happen, but one never knows.

I think alot depends on how such an offering would resonate with buyers.

It could take alot of the Ferrari and other exotic racerboy stuff out of the picture from a performance standpoint. I don't think anything close to this in power has been offered since the McLaren F1 GTR street car.

Somethin like this is a low 9 second car at a trap of 150mph+... not bad for something sporting air and a cd...:eek:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Chevy will have to get over their reluctance to sell a car with gas guzzler tax ...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Manatee said:
Chevy will have to get over their reluctance to sell a car with gas guzzler tax ...
You said it.......

That's why they are reluctant to offer the Z06 in coupe or convertible form. Also, because it would not have a LEV rating. :)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Well, have one of these :guiness: before you take it in for service! It's bad enough now with our cars!

·
Registered
61 Posts
My salesman showed me the article when I went into his office on Tuesday. What gets me about this is that GM would have to change their policy because right now they will not approve any car for sale that would have to pay the gas guzzler tax. That is one reason why we have not see the 6 liter motor in a production Vette yet.

If they do change their ways, this could be a could sign to all of us down the line with the trickle down effect.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Too bad Dodge beat em to the punch again.......

Special one off version of the Viper at 550 HP and almost 600TQ will be available soon. NOT street legal and a 1 seater.

:eek: :eek:

JC

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anything that Autoweek states in their magazine regarding GM is ALWAYS true, and in most cases, not stretching the truth. I have kept track of Autoweek since inception and when they say 'according to inside sources at GM' then really do have them. Autoweek was the first (that I am aware of) to publish factual information about the 2002 Z06 (colors and specs as well). GM strongly voiced their denial of the article saying that anything published that early (April 2001) was "pure speculation". Heck...Autoweek even knew the specifications of the new shocks on the 2002 in addition to many other areas of information.
On the flip side - I personally have a dilema when it pertains to the ethical aspects of this when it pertains to GM. The "inside sources" at GM provide information to Autoweek but at the same time will not provide information to us - the consumer. I pay a few bucks regularly to Autoweek to read and enjoy their publication....I wonder how much of my money is given by Autoweek to "inside sources at GM" to provide information to the publication and then charge me to purchase it? Then I give $51,000 to GM to buy their car. What is wrong with this picture?
Best regards, Z ZERO 6

·
Registered
61 Posts
This report in Autoweek did not come from inside sources. It came from an Automotive News article. It was in fact the headline article for the issue. I read it.

Automotive News is a magazine for people in the auto industry.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
AquaZR1 said:
This report in Autoweek did not come from inside sources. It came from an Automotive News article. It was in fact the headline article for the issue. I read it.

Automotive News is a magazine for people in the auto industry.
Yeppers, statement made in Moterey, Ca.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not sure Chevrolet service at you typical
dealer could meet the expectations of an owner
of a $100K Corvette. Think about that.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would question why $100K? Is there a market for a $100K vette at this time? I don't think so. V12 why? Sounds more like a Jag motor. There is, however, a market for a $70-85K, 500 hp vette. Witness all the LPE and other tuner cars.

I'll be the first in line for a factory engineered, produced and warranted LS6 based 427 ci (what's wrong with the 502?), 500+ hp car in the $70-85k range.

V12? Where's the heritage. I really have to wonder if GM EVER really listens to their customers. GM had better hope Dodge never wises up and builds a decent looking Viper with a beautiful hemi in it! JMHO of course. :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts