Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to the December 10th issue of Automotive News:

"GM Racing chose McLaren Performance Technologies Inc. to develop and manufacture a V8 performance cylinder head. The head will be made of cast iron and will be used for consumer aftermarket and racing applications. McLaren will develop the component at its engine facility in Livonia, Michigan. The supplier will manufacture the cylinder head at its plant in Oldcastle, Ontario.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian:

Good question. All I know is what I read in Automotive News, and then posted it word for word here. I read AN at the local library, and then post here what I think Corvette/Racing enthusiasts would find interesting or informative.

Zip :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
BrianK said:
Hmm. An iron head for what application??

When weight is not the major consideration, an iron head has an advantage in consistancy of heat distributuion in it's part of the combustion chamber. Iron heads will usually make more power all other things being equal.

In most situations the weight is a worthwhile tradeoff that gives aluminum the preference.

There are some "iron head only" racing series. I'd venture there's a market or series GM hopes to assist folks dominate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts