Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I felt rather stupid, had a ticking sound as well. My car is undercover for the winter, and I've been dealing with a sporadic battery (hooked up to life support too), as well as the ticking.

I contacted the dealership last week concerning the battery, a tech came to my house Friday (small town, friendly dealer) with a new battery (car is still under warranty). He installed the battery, car fired immediately, and then asked him about ticking....he found a spark plug that was arcing as the cover was not pressed all the way down.

Both problems solved, hurrah!

·
Registered
57 Posts
A tech came to your house...?:WTF: That is awesome. Maybe I need to move to Wyoming.
A real live service tech....they asked me to bring the car in, I told them it was in winter mode...going nowhere. A tech was at my house less than two hours later, installed the battery, identified the ticking sound & rectified the problem...no charge.

Sometimes a small town isn't such a bad thing.:yeadog:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I have a '07 Z06 that had an engine failure ( rod through the engine block) while I was traveling to work. Denied warranty work due to my trying a tuner to see if it would help gas mileage/performance. I saw no difference...took off the program and a month after took off, the engine failed. Blamed it on tuner. BS! I still have old engine and need assistance to recoup the 17k + I had to shell out to replace short block only. Told by many that this could not cause catastrophic failure but GM held fast on their position. I'm not giving up but I need a lot of help. Anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not let this discourage anyone from buying a Z06. I had the same problem, and couldn't be happier with the response I received from GM. GM stands behind its product, and it is still a great company with tremendous bang for the buck products. I still have the Z, and couldn't imagine trading it for anything else!!!:usa: This article, on its face, is proof that GM is still going the extra mile to keep its customers happy.
I congratulate you on such a favorable outcome.

My experience was just the opposite. My showroom-stock 2006 Z06, with a bit over 38,000 miles, was found to have defective valve guides. Since my original 3/36 warranty (2006 warranties were only 3/36) had expired 2009, Chevy took the position that any repair costs were mine to bear. $4,000 later, out of my pocket, I have re-worked heads with stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze guides which I hope will last considerably longer than the OEM junk Chevy installed at the factory. It was my good fortune that the defective guides were detected before I dropped a valve, lest my repair bill would have been considerably more - some say as much as $17,000 for a new engine.

At any rate, based on my experience, I must take strong exception to anyone who says that GM stands behind their product. As far as I am concerned, with few exceptions, GM has essentially abandoned the C6 Z06 owner community.

They ought to be ashamed. I tell my story at every opportunity, and you can bet I'll never again buy GM. But then again, GM doesn't care either way.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts

My experience was just the opposite. My showroom-stock 2006 Z06, with a bit over 38,000 miles, was found to have defective valve guides. Since my original 3/36 warranty (2006 warranties were only 3/36) had expired 2009, Chevy took the position that any repair costs were mine to bear. $4,000 later, out of my pocket, I have re-worked heads with stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze guides which I hope will last considerably longer than the OEM junk Chevy installed at the factory. It was my good fortune that the defective guides were detected before I dropped a valve, lest my repair bill would have been considerably more - some say as much as $17,000 for a new engine.

At any rate, based on my experience, I must take strong exception to anyone who says that GM stands behind their product. As far as I am concerned, with few exceptions, GM has essentially abandoned the C6 Z06 owner community.

They ought to be ashamed. I tell my story at every opportunity, and you can bet I'll never again buy GM. But then again, GM doesn't care either way.
Yea, the time frame of the warranty shouldn't be a factor. Who cares about legal contracts and such.
GM should ignore their own contract and fix any repairs whatsoever, no matter the type or how long you've owned your car or whether the warranty has expired or whatever. In fact, all manufacturers of every type of product should fix any problems, no matter how they were caused on any product they've ever produced, even if it was made 100 years ago.

I'm glad you tell your story every chance you get but perhaps you should live in the real world where real people reside :screwy: :screwy:

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea, the time frame of the warranty shouldn't be a factor. Who cares about legal contracts and such.
GM should ignore their own contract and fix any repairs whatsoever, no matter the type or how long you've owned your car or whether the warranty has expired or whatever. In fact, all manufacturers of every type of product should fix any problems, no matter how they were caused on any product they've ever produced, even if it was made 100 years ago.

I'm glad you tell your story every chance you get but perhaps you should live in the real world where real people reside :screwy: :screwy:

Mike
Mike:
Let me guess...you work for Chevy, right? How else can you defend the perhaps hundreds of dropped valves, and perhaps thousands of other LS7s with defective guides, that are getting ready to fail?

You sound like a corporate shill, my friend. Here's hoping that, if you indeed own an LS7, that you never have a catastrophic failure due to GM's lack of quality control in their LS7 cylinder head sourcing. Otherwise, you just may find that you change that silly little tune you are singing.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Mike:
Let me guess...you work for Chevy, right? How else can you defend the perhaps hundreds of dropped valves, and perhaps thousands of other LS7s with defective guides, that are getting ready to fail?

You sound like a corporate shill, my friend. Here's hoping that, if you indeed own an LS7, that you never have a catastrophic failure due to GM's lack of quality control in their LS7 cylinder head sourcing. Otherwise, you just may find that you change that silly little tune you are singing.
First of all, sorry to hear about your engine problems and expenses. That definitely sucks.

There seems to be 3 issues here: the warranty (or specifically, your interpretation there of), product quality control, and customer service response.

1. If your issue is with the warranty, I have to agree with Mike. No automotive company (that I'm aware of) will warranty a car forever with no conditions attached. It seems reasonable to me that a company's liability ends after the [contracted and agreed upon] warranty period is up.

When you bought your car, I assume you were fully aware of the terms and conditions of the warranty, right? What did you think would happen after the warranty expired? Furthermore, why didn't you buy an extended GMPP warranty (although I guess that doesn't really matter now anyway)?

2. If your issue is with GM quality control - that it should be improved - then I wholeheartedly agree with you. But what can you do? You bought a car from a company that's known for being cheap and cutting corners. All you can do is accept this fact and move on to another brand next time. Maybe you'll have better luck. Then again...who knows?

3. Lastly, if your issue is with customer service, I do believe that GM is sincerely trying to work with current C6Z owners. What would be an acceptable response in your mind? Do they owe you a new engine?

It's my experience that certain customers really do believe that "the customer is always right", even when they clearly are not. Btw, you've been "abandoned"? Little dramatic, don't you think?

C6Z owners are the whiniest group of Corvette owners I've ever seen. First, they complained about the introduction of the ZR1, essentially trumping the C6 Z06. "How could GM do this to us!", they said. "I thought I was buying the BEST Corvette EVER!" Apparently GM didn't care about you then either.

Then it was the C6 Grand Sport wide body debacle. Oh the humanity.

Now we've apparently reached the point where, "standing behind your product", means providing an unlimited warranty for the life of the car. Yeah, OK.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Mike:

Yes, of course I do. In fact I am the CEO for GM and in my spare time I moderate this site just so I can "corporate shill" for GM :sneaky:

I'm not defending dropped valves numbnuts, I'm talking about your "GM has essentially abandoned the C6 Z06 owner community" nonsense because GM won't fix your car out of warranty.

Do I wish GM had a little more quality control from time to time...yes. They are not perfect by any means nor is the C5Z or the C6Z. I accept the fact that there are going to be things that I dislike and wish were different but I don't dramatically denounce them as the devil god abandoning all of humanity right before the planet explodes.

Do I take personal responsibility for my actions and not automatically blame a 'corporation' every time the wind blows out of the north...yes.

Do I have a C6Z with an LS7 engine...yes.

but....thanks for sharing :)

Mike

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,824 Posts

I might have felt for you until I read your post 1 year ago and the damage you did then and your praise for GM when it looks like you did the damage on beating the piss out of the Z06 which would answer your claims today
Seems you got away with it last time and are pissed GM looked at your past repair claims.

If a part is built with bad quality as to valve part it would fail far sooner then 7 years later and looking at your biker claims of speed if push comes to shove your causing the failures and not the design :screwy:

People read this and then the one from today and I suspect you would side with GM.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f62/problems-your-c6-z06-so-far-122106/index4.html#post1352947

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
A friend with a 55 Chevy has a little rust. I should recommend he blame GM and see if they will fix it. Oddly, this has never occurred to him. :rofl:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Members, I have a growing concern, having been through the engine failure process myself, that those of you who have not had the joy of experiencing the problem seem to think that LS7 failure is nothing more than an urban legend. Luckily, GM and I were able to join hands and sing kumbaya in the end, but it seems that this forum is gaining a troubling skepticism towards the fact that there are some known problems with our engines, particularly regarding the valve springs, rocker arms, and rocker arm bearings.

I agree with all of you that GM is not, and should not, be under any responsibility to fix failures that are outside of warranty, but come on, let's try to be a little more supportive of those that are going through engine problems. I guarantee you that as the miles stack up on the LS7's, we are going to hear more and more stories of failures. My advice is that everyone should do a little bit of preventative maintenance and replace their valve springs at 25k.

That being said, I welcome all brothers and sisters that are having engine problems. There are some folks on this forum with a considerable wealth pf knowledge that will be of great assistance to others in a time of need. The LS7, is in my opinion, the greatest V8 of this generation, yes the 4.5 liter from the Ferrari 458 included, but just like all engines, it has some points that could be improved. Now let's rally around our brothers and sisters and support them.:usa:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Members, I have a growing concern, having been through the engine failure process myself, that those of you who have not had the joy of experiencing the problem seem to think that LS7 failure is nothing more than an urban legend. Luckily, GM and I were able to join hands and sing kumbaya in the end, but it seems that this forum is gaining a troubling skepticism towards the fact that there are some known problems with our engines, particularly regarding the valve springs, rocker arms, and rocker arm bearings.

I agree with all of you that GM is not, and should not, be under any responsibility to fix failures that are outside of warranty, but come on, let's try to be a little more supportive of those that are going through engine problems. I guarantee you that as the miles stack up on the LS7's, we are going to hear more and more stories of failures. My advice is that everyone should do a little bit of preventative maintenance and replace their valve springs at 25k.

That being said, I welcome all brothers and sisters that are having engine problems. There are some folks on this forum with a considerable wealth pf knowledge that will be of great assistance to others in a time of need. The LS7, is in my opinion, the greatest V8 of this generation, yes the 4.5 liter from the Ferrari 458 included, but just like all engines, it has some points that could be improved. Now let's rally around our brothers and sisters and support them.:usa:
My concern is a bit different....

My concern is that perhaps someone is not reading entire posts and thinks that this so-called "non support" has to do with not acknowledging some LS7 engine issues, including valve issues.

If someone points out that car manufacturers, including GM, are unlikely to provide free parts and service for cars out of warranty, I don't see that as non acknowledgement of certain defects that have shown up in several cars nor do I see that as viewing said problems as "urban legends".

My concern is that someone who posts that GM doesn't give a damn about anyone and will never buy a GM product again may be considered by some as a 'brother or sister' in need of support.

...but that's just me.

Mike

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,824 Posts
To conclude or even assume claimed design failures some first has to look at said failures and remove all those where

1. LS7 was abused
2. improper shifting
3. crap mods
4. hacked tunes
5. Wrong type of oil used ( see it here and elsewhere where others tell owners to not use Mobil I )
6. improper maintenance and oil levels.
7. etc

Point being lots of claims and if "don't care" of all the above then that would leave valid failure points fairly low.

What we do know is for the first time starting with LS7 is GM had to put in writing that if PCM is tuned then take a hike which says they see most failures as to the hacks and mods which clouds what the real failure rate is

Add the hype from changing valve springs often to All LS7s having bad rockers only confuses even more what the real failure rate is and GM cannot get that when most LS7 failures were due to crap mods and tunes to prevent getting the true Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) rate

If the heads flaw was real high GM would not be selling LS7 as crate engines and now using it for 2014 Camaro Z28

·
Registered
632 Posts
My concern is a bit different....

My concern is that someone who posts that GM doesn't give a damn about anyone and will never buy a GM product again may be considered by some as a 'brother or sister' in need of support.

...but that's just me.

Mike
Ha- I see your point Mike. I guess I should say that my post was referencing those folks who post in good faith with legitimate questions, not those that are just looking to trash the product or the company.

Actually, I have to confess...I thought I was responding to a different post..I thought it was the one where the guy blew his head gasket power shifting. So apologies for my confusion, a few to many beers and too much time will do that to me. If nothing else, it seems like the posting has been a little bit slow lately, so let's just rack it up to me trying to spice things up.

·
9,755 Posts
Any of you "suckers" who bought an LS7 powered car should dump them for pennies on the dollar. Please PM me to dump your POS car!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
So I started following the "valve guide wear" chronicle a while back, then lost interest since I don't own an LS7 engine. Is GM still being strategically vague about this issue? Or have they issued an official recommendation for those owners out of warranty? Something like, "this is what you should replace...".

I guess it's not in their best interest to do that, is it? That would be like admitting there was a problem in the first place. And I really don't think they want to open themselves up to further liability.

I certainly understand how this can be a frustrating situation for C6Z owners.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let's get to the bottom line. How can you definitely tell if you have a valve guide problem. Other than hearing a ticking noise which could be from another source is there a way to check for this? I'm looking for a test that may be something like taking off the valve spring retainer and spring and checking play between the stem and guide.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts