Corvette Z06 Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good to hear everything worked out for you. Not to shabby hp numbers (now save up for rear tires! :lol:)
Seriously! I'm trying not to blaze my brand new Michelle Pilot ZPs! Good thing these tires hook up better than the GY's, still have to watch 1st and 2nd though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Seriously! I'm trying not to blaze my brand new Michelle Pilot ZPs! Good thing these tires hook up better than the GY's, still have to watch 1st and 2nd though.
Why no cam? :(.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why no cam? :(.
I probably should have but couldn't justify the extra $2k at this time. I dont race the car and wanted to keep factory like street manners... plus I didnt want to give the smog shop somthing to gripe about. Even though a cam wouldn't affect the visual, with my luck they would find some language to fail me based on sound...lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I probably should have but couldn't justify the extra $2k at this time. I dont race the car and wanted to keep factory like street manners... plus I didnt want to give the smog shop somthing to gripe about. Even though a cam wouldn't affect the visual, with my luck they would find some language to fail me based on sound...lol.
I'm sure I will kick myself a couple years down the road tho....:cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
GM is a little late....5 or 6 years...and a little short on their responsibility. Their dealings with the Z06 valve issue cost them a new truck for me and a new car for my wife.
Mine is fixed without their BS help. I'm sure I will not be dealing with GM quality again.....just someone else's sorry quality.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
GM is a little late....5 or 6 years...and a little short on their responsibility. Their dealings with the Z06 valve issue cost them a new truck for me and a new car for my wife.
Mine is fixed without their BS help. I'm sure I will not be dealing with GM quality again.....just someone else's sorry quality.

I noticed this in another thread...

Posted By lebvette
Re: How Much Horsepower are you making?

551/501 Stage 4 Stalker from Ragin Racin and the goodies that go good with it.
I see you've done some aftermarket engine work on your Z. Did you have valve issues yourself?

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts

I see you've done some aftermarket engine work on your Z. Did you have valve issues yourself?

Mike
I didn't have them check them. I had the valves done for my peace of mine. It felt like I was driving a $15k time bomb.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Mike
(Warning!!! Long winded!) Hello Mike. WOW-A never ending thread??! I sure hope not. Anyway, my name is Mike, and though I'm a newbie on this forum, I've been a Tool and Die maker for 38 years. So I have considerable experience in the mechanical arena. I've owned a C5 for many years. The original engine was nearing a rebuild, so I decided to build a different engine, using the LS7 block and Heads. For health reasons, I decided to have an LS7/C6 Z06 engine professionally built. Because the receipts do not detail every single part that was installed, I do not know exactly what was used, only what I wanted, and what the Shop and I both agreed to. With the reputation this shop has, I felt this was acceptable. I am "old school", and believe an engine should be "broken in". So I never used any more than maybe 1/3-1/2 throttle. Then, with around 2,500 miles on the engine, I took a friend on a ride and floored it. It ran great! As I tried to hit 3rd gear, I screwed up and missed it. The rev limiter saved me at around 6,800 rpm, or so I thought. The next morning, while pulling up to a drive-thru window, my wife says "What's that noise" (!). I noticed it also, but it didn't seem too much louder than before, if at all. I told her you have to consider we are 2 feet from a sound reflecting brick wall, which will amplify any noise. But ever since this happened, the car has an occasional "hiccup" while cruising at 60-65mph, occasional being maybe every minute, sometimes every 30 seconds to a minute. This "hiccup" wasn't there before I missed 3rd. gear. Hearing about some of the valvetrain issues the LS7 motors seem to have, I pulled the valvecovers, 4 rocker arms, and 4 pushrods-All Intakes, by the way. I rolled the pushrods on a surface plate, and after a thorough examination, the pushrods are NOT bent. But the Rocker fulcrum's/trunnion's sure seemed "loose". I was told that the Comp Trunnion upgrade was done to each. But they look exactly like my LS1 Rocker trunnion's do. After looking on Comp's website, they are indeed the stock trunnion's! Then I pushed the valvespring retainers back and forth, and I can see some movement. by "some", I would say maybe .005 to-Possibly-.010 max. Considering this is about 2.000 inches away from the valve guide, I assume I may have .001-.003 total clearance. This seems like a lot for only 2,500 miles. My engine has factory valves, valve guides, and, apparently, rocker arms, along with PAC double valve springs. The cam is a Comp Cam, .640 lift int., .646 lift exh., w/238/242 [email protected] lift. The intakes have lash caps, I assume this is because they are made Titanium. I realize the valvetrain won't sound stock. It's the 24hr. "change", the before and after, that concerns me. Perhaps most telling is the wife noticing it immediately! She doesn't always ride in it, and isn't mechanically experienced. But she noticed it right away. NOT good. Or maybe it is-It still runs and hasn't dropped a valve-YET! I think this "noise" may be due to the stock fulcrums. If not, I don't know what to make of it. I have an idea what your response will be. Guess I'm hoping to hear what I want to hear. But in my head and my heart, I know something is not right. I'm going to run a compression test on all 8 cylinders today, and will post the results ASAP. I have not abused this car. Yes-This missed gear is abuse, but certainly unintentional. It is also the only time I have ever missed a gear in it-It's an A4 car!! Please don't laugh (I know-Even I think this sounds funny-Probably STUPID.) I discovered after the fact that I was already in OVERDRIVE and shifted to NEUTRAL!!!!! DAMN!!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Response to Grinder. I do not think you could have hurt a stock or near stock LS7 valvetrain from a missed shift, unless you were at max rpm in one gear than then mistakenly hit the gear below it. I believe the stock rev limiter is 7100 rpm on a 7000 rpm rated engine. If you set it to 6800 rpm, that would be conservative. Compression test would confirm status, unless you had a hurt lifter that is not keeping up. I would think you would hear a collapsed lifter or worn cam lobe as upper valvetrain knock or clacking.

I bought my car with about 8000 miles and 2 1/4 years on it. With the original crap Goodyears, I hit the rev limiter a few times as they would spin to redline almost immediately with traction control ON on dry pavement.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts