Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, seven months ago I took my car to the dealership because I got the steering lock column recall letter from GM. They reprogrammed the computer (or whatever) a week later, I get in my car, I start my car, and the steering wheel would not turn at all. So, I take the car back to the dealership, and they replace the steering lock column motor, I paid over $400 dlls. for it, and 7 months later...yep... I'm having problems again. So, I go back to the dealer and ask them to check my car again, well...they wanted me to buy the same part I had purchased 7 months before, I said noway, you guys fix it. Apparently the part was only good under warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles (I had driven 14,000 with this part) so they want me to spend another $400 dlls. plus to get it fixed, they can kiss my a**** I'm not spending another dollar on the same part. I contacted the GM warranty people, and after a week of having no car, they said NO. They are not fixing or replacing the part (column lock motor) I'm sorry guys but I'm so disappointed in GM, they should have fixed the problem since the beginning or at least replaced my $400 dlls. part.
Vent mode off.
What do you guy think? should I just sell my car and get a G35 Infinity? or should I just get the kit and forget about this?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The Bypass Kit can't be done after the original TSB work was done because it's function no longer exists at the SCL motor.

The original system had two contacts at the SCL motor located in the steering column. These contacts confirmed that the SCL was either locked or unlocked. If the motor failed to pull the pin the BCM would set the SCL failure message and you were finished. The pin could get jammed due to too close a tolerance, jammed steering wheel caused by turning the wheel after the ignition was turned off, a motor failure or low battery voltage.

The SCL Bypass kit essentially unlocked the SCL, disconnected it and replaced the switches with a pair of switching diodes that took the place of the switches on the motor. Each time you turned on the ignition the diodes switched and fooled the BCM into thinking that the pin has been withdrawn when in fact it was always withdrawn.

The TCB work that was done in 2001 installed a double pole relay in the BCM that took the place of the switches at the motor. The system was rewired to eliminate the switches but keep the motor intact so the lock still worked. The locking plate was replaced to allow larger clearances with the pin to avoid jam ups caused by close tolerances. The net result was that the relay fooled the BCM into thinking the pin was pulled rather than getting actual feedback from the switches on the motor. Installing the Bypass Kit under these conditions has no effect since there is no signal from the diodes to the BCM. You are wasting you money if you have had the TCB work done.

All of the work your dealer did was under the recall and it would seem that any subsequent problems would still be covered under the initial recall notice since the FIX did not solve the problem?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah, What he said..

PJ

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Normally this would be covered under the Warranty and the Magnuson Moss Act would apply. I question why you needed to pay the $400 for the second repair unless they are saying that your car was out of Warranty. AND they are saying that the motor is not part of the Recall;
which in my opinion is BS.

However my primary concern is that the Column Lock Bypass is a mandatory Federal Recall and not a Warranty issue. A Recall is mandatory and is a safety issue. The Dealer and Chevy/GM MUST fix it and must eat the cost.

I would take these steps
1. Get a copy of the Magnuson - Moss Act at the SEMA site
2. Ask the Dealer to fully explain why you were charged $400 in the first place and why you need to keep paying for a FAILED and FAULTY REPAIR.
3. Ask the Dealer to explain if the original repair was under Warranty or ReCall.

I would then show them a copy of or cite the Magnuson - Moss Act and tell them they are responsible for the repair. If they do not agree to absorb all costs and make further repairs to fix the problem I would contact and complain to:
- NHTSB , National Highway Traffic Safety Board

I would also get an attorney and also contact the Chevy Zone Manager, Chevy Customer Service, and the BBB Better Buisness Bureau.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry R1GuyZ06 , I don't mean to threadjack, but I really want to ask another related question to DJ as it seems he has a handle on this topic.

DJ , I have been wrestling with myself for ages whether to get the recall done or not. First of all, I have never had a problem with the column lock situation. I did purchase an aftermarket CLB but never got around to installing it. Many months later I read about how some folks reported that CLB led to BCM(?) or some electronic brain convulsion? and I became concerned about installing my CLB, so I never did.

Then I read a statement attributed to Dave Hill that the steering would never lock when the car is moving.

Further research recommends that I should have some sort of harness replacement, but that is only recommended for the autos and not the sticks.

I am so confused as to whether I should do any of the recommended fixes or just leave well enough alone.

Do you or anyone else have advice? Opinions are welcome as well!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
DJWorm said:
I would also get an attorney and also contact the Chevy Zone Manager, Chevy Customer Service, and the BBB Better Buisness Bureau.
Then be prepared for a very long battle - that unless you have the funds to keep going will just wear you out.

R1GuyZ06, Good luck and if you can, stick it to em on behalf of us "little people" :)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If you do not have a custon PCM tune I recommend that you have the Dealer do the ReCall procedure.

If you do have a custom tune on the PCM then you may want to consider doing the aftermarket Column Lock solution. OR having another PCM custom tune done after the ReCall.

You should address the Column Lock problem in some manner.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
But the problem is not being addressed with the recall procedure.

In the current situation, if I am 200 miles from home, in a podunc town on a weekend drive and the column locks (which has happened) - I am able to do the "steering wheel" trick and be on my way.

After the new recall is done, will the same apply? Or is the car rendered undrivable.

I am not confident in GM's "fix" - as I have been lead to believe that after a "service column lock" condition is met under the new fix, the car will not be able to start again until serviced by a dealer.

Is this true or not?

[EDIT]
On second thoughts - it is now a matter of principal.

People modify their engines to 1000hp - nobody cares or discourages them.

People replace brakes, wheels, seats, steering wheels and even body work.

People ahve custome stereos, interiors and paint jobs.

People swap M6's for A4's and replace drive line components and have their clutches replaced.

Why the hell all the "do what GM says" with regard to the column lock issue?

This makes ZERO sense - if a 1000hp Twin Turbo engine swap is acceptable, why not then a system that simple renders the badly designed, engineered and executed column lock redundent as on the A4's?

The same dealership that turns a blind eye to modded emmisions systems is now likely to not want to violate law with regard to this steering column lock?

Talk about assaboutface priorities... :-?

·
Registered
81 Posts
DJWorm said:
If you do not have a custon PCM tune I recommend that you have the Dealer do the ReCall procedure.

If you do have a custom tune on the PCM then you may want to consider doing the aftermarket Column Lock solution. OR having another PCM custom tune done after the ReCall.

You should address the Column Lock problem in some manner.
My local chevy dealer told me that because I have had my car dyno tuned that I should not do the recall because it will fry my computer!! Any truth to that?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
R1GuyZ06,

I feel your pain but, if you had done your homework you would have found that the recall doesn't fix column locks on the 6 speeds. With this in mind you should have just paid for and installed the GM Harness "k" bypass (or aftermarket bypass), instead of the column lock motor.

The Internet gives consumers the edge, yet many refuse to use it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here we go again, DJworm and RC45 are some of my favorite people to deal with in these threads :roll:

So take all this for what you want, I am sure they will have some comments to make

Anyway, unfortunatly the recall only covers a reprogram and check to make sure that when the lock retracts there is enough clearance between the lock pin and lock plate.

The magnson act is not going to help you in this battle, that has more to do with manufactures denying warranty repairs for reasons they really cant deny it for. However the warranty on any GM replacment part is 12/12, other than engines and transmissions.

Dealers are only authorized to make adjustments to help customers up to 60k miles, after that the dealer can not do anything else. If I was you, I would continue to call GM customer assistance and also a call to the BBB. Since this is a common failure part in the Corvette along with your repeat failure problem, that would probably be the path of least resistance to start with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This thread is a heads up to all the people that have not bypassed their column lock! If you take your car to a dealer they may do the recall without your knowledge and screw up your pcm if it has a custom tune.My advice wont work for everyone but here goes,DON'T LET THE DEALER TOUCH YOUR CAR! Some of them dont even know how to jack up a car let alone work on a computer and each mod ads another "what if?" to the mix.No offense to the few good service Depts. It seems to me the more advanced vehicles get the less the dealers can fix on it. Im sorry R1-Z06 had to be one of GM'S test cases but GM obviously does not want to fix this problem correctly by removing the locking plate like on the auto cars and the bypass is still the only way to keep your steering from locking up whenever or wherever it feels like it.Unfortunately (because they have to) GM sends out those notices over and over again until cars get "fixed" and then your problems begin.I wonder what would happen if the dealer tried to reflash the pcm on a CLB car?No fuel? :flaming:

·
Registered
204 Posts
GM cant remove the lock plate on the Manual cars, has to do with federal rules about it, since the shifter cant lock, the steering wheel must. Not that I didnt put a lock plate delete on my car anyway

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Cobra#3747 said:
GM cant remove the lock plate on the Manual cars, has to do with federal rules about it, since the shifter cant lock, the steering wheel must. Not that I didnt put a lock plate delete on my car anyway
This law applies to new cars design and subsequent sale of said new car.

Please quote me the federal law that states a car owner has to maintain a working column lock?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gee what did I tell you.

Did I ever say the owner could not? If you read the post smart guy, I said GM can not remove it :cen:

if you read more of the post, you would have read that I personally removed my lock plate and installed one for the automatic cars. :eek:o:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Cobra#3747 said:
Gee what did I tell you.
Gee what did you expect.

Cobra#3747 said:
Did I ever say the owner could not? If you read the post smart guy, I said GM can not remove it :cen:
I read the post - which is why I responded.

Considering the car is used/out of warranty and being taken in for a repair - why are the dealers putting up such an obstinate fight when customers of said cars are trying to get the work done - even for a fee.

Cobra#3747 said:
if you read more of the post, you would have read that I personally removed my lock plate and installed one for the automatic cars. :eek:o:
Well - if you] bothered to read other peoples posts you would note that unlike you with an in for aquiring parts (that supposedly are not available due to federal regulations - ?? ) folks are getting no joy from dealers when trying to purchase the part so they can privately install them - they are being quoted the same nonsense you are presenting here.

IF dealers simply sold the kits to customers, they (customers) would be installing them and this freaking thread would not even exist.

:roll:

·
Registered
204 Posts
:roll:

Once again, GM can not install the delete under the recall.

Do you want the part number so you can go buy your own kit?

Also, even with the delete kit installed, all this does is prevent the steering wheel from locking. When installed on the manual cars, the lock actuator still functions, so if it stays out, the car will still have the service column lock message and the car still will shut off or have reduced power. Also if anyone is doing this, dont bother installing the relay that comes with the kit, they are having failure problems with some of the relays after time.

Exactly what was it that you put in this thread that was of any help or useful information anyway? I read it again and could not find anything,

Then be prepared for a very long battle - that unless you have the funds to keep going will just wear you out.
Nope nothing in that post, must be one to up your post count?

But the problem is not being addressed with the recall procedure
This is useful? Oh wait, you like to state something that is already known.

I am not confident in GM's "fix" - as I have been lead to believe that after a "service column lock" condition is met under the new fix, the car will not be able to start again until serviced by a dealer.
This is almost a question that I would have answered and given you the proper information, but you seem to know it all already

Then you go on about 1000hp engines and people over looking this and that, but not steering column stuff.

More helpful information from you. How was it again you helped this guy with his problem at all? Try running your post count up in a non tech section.

And why I am going to even waste my time with this responce... Anyway, while people may over look emissions related and such and not a modified column would be a saftey issue along with a liability and being sued over it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts