Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched the owners video on the web site. Thanks to whoever put it on here. I couldn't help but notice the graphics that twice said, " see you warranty book before participating in racing or other competitive events.” Who has any experience with a GM service facility doing warr repairs that knows you autoX or otherwise race? Has anyone been turned down for warranty repairs or been told that a GM rep was going to come and examine the car?
The way I figure it is that I do nothing at an autocross that I don't do when road, traffic, and weather conditions permit whether on a public road or a big ol' piece of vacant asphalt. True; being timed and in proximity to other drivers may motivate you to push the limits, but I believe true driving needs no other motivation than an internal pursuit of excellence. Ok, ok, bringing home a trophy or two for the kiddos can be gratifying.
Looking 4ward to all feedback.
Dr.E

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dealers have wide discretion in dealing with warranty claims. Most will accommodate the customer unless true abuse is indicated or racing mods are flagrant (eg. nitrous installed). Bottom line: the strength of your relationship with your service manager, advisor and tech will be the determining factors.

In a receiving line at Carlisle last summer, Dave Hill asked me if I had raced my car. I told him I had run 12.35 @ 116 the previous night. This led him to ask about my launch technique and if I had any mods. He closed the brief conversation by suggesting that I get the car out to an autocross or road course. Warranty impact never came up.

Ranger

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I Auto X....

....heavily (local, Pro Solo and National Tour events) and do some Solo I and Track events.

I have had the car in for warranty work and nothing was said. The stickerpack and numbers were on the car, plus I take it in for oil changes that way. Of course I compete in a "Stock" class and not a modified class.

They certainly aren't going to cover my double adjustable Penske shocks though and I don't expect them to.

If I would ever have internal engine problems or something major I would take the stickerpack and numbers off and put the stock shocks back on and take it to a different dealer just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Need the straight skinny on this subject.

This warranty/Mods question worries me greatly. If I were 100% sure, I'd do a little modding. I understand the relationship thing, but:

What can the dealer tell from the car's computer data?

I thought I saw a thread on this subject that indicated that the dealer could extract data from the car's computer to determine if the car was abused. Maybe rpm or speed or???????? If so, they could use this data to place a "warranty block" on your car. That would show up at any dealer when he typed in your VIN.

When I got mine home and watched the video, I was shocked that GM would not only condone, but promote racing. I don't see how they can put out a video like that and then not cover racing damage, even with a disclaimer.

Lots of opinions appreciated.

:-? :-?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The black box...

...only shows the last 30 minutes of data. If you race it and then drive it home you should be all right. I think major events are stored permanetly as codes. ie. if you over rev it they will be able to tell that you did, but they can't tell if it was on a track or on the street.

As to mods: If you do not take your motor, tranny or diff. apart they should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm no attorney and they are the types that can read a contract, which a warraty is, and a judge decides what it "really" says.

My take on the warranty is that the manufacturer covers what is their "fault" and is not responsible for what is the customer's "fault"...

It's pretty clear to me that uncovered stuff due to misuse, abuse, accidents, damage due to racing, and etc. mean what they say.

This is just one guy's opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm with Ranger on this. The Corvette mechanic at the dealer I use is a good guy. I have asked him a lot about this issue. It really is up to him and what he thinks, remembering that if a repair goes south and GM gets called in, he has to justify his position that it is warranty work.

The one thing which really seals the deal for him is Nitrous. But even then it would have to be drivetrain related. If the window rattles, Nitrous clearly has nothing to do with it.

He told me that he did have one C5 come in that he could do no warranty work on. Apparently, the owner had taken it to another dealer and really pissed them off. There had been mods done. He did not know what had gone down.

Many dealers actively sell modifications for C5's. How can they turn you down for warranty work?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: Warranty Claims / Rights

ZO6LS6 said:
Want to know HOW to deal with this........go here......all the steps needed.............

www.Sema.org
I think the original question was possible warranty issues if the car is used in competitive events.

I don't think the SEMA commentary addresses this question.
Aftermarket mods?? yes Racing?? no.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Ditto's

Just thought you may want this info, as it addresses WARRANTY in general also, and denial of claims, of / for any reason/s.....

Use this guideline, and as a reference for HOW to go about any (no matter) what kind of claims in the future.........

Not just dealing with track/AutoX...............

:)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
One thing to consider in the "implied" warranty. Something GM simply cannot deny is the fact that this car is marketed as a race car. Even the magazines test it and judge it as one. Just look at the dealer brochure. As long as the vehicle is operated within its performance envelope which any good driver can do ....even during an autocross, GM will probably have a hard time convincing any judge that the purpose of this car was anything other than "Xtreme Performance"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts