Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy the basic DRM Engine oil cooler. Do I need anything else (such as some type of valve that does not open until oil pressure and temp are high enough)? As you can see from my question I don't know very much about this!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Bob said:
Do I need anything else (such as some type of valve that does not open until oil pressure and temp are high enough)?
Ask DRM about a thermostat when you order the cooler. It'll prevent running the oil too cool if you frequently drive in cold weather.

What are your goals with the car? Do you track it (road race)?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dmtnt said:
Ask DRM about a thermostat when you order the cooler. It'll prevent running the oil too cool if you frequently drive in cold weather.

What are your goals with the car? Do you track it (road race)?

If I were to classify myself, I would say that I am a DE enthusiast (hobbyist) that loves to track the car, but I do not have deep pockets that would enable me to have a trailer, tow vehicle, separate set of track wheels and tires.... When I go to the track I have the minimum. I am trying to do my best to keep the car in good order and get in as much DE time as possible.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Then I'd get the standalone oil cooler and a thermostat. If you get more serious (and are willing to spend more $$'s), then I'd get an integrated radiator/oil cooler (that's what I run now - LG's unit).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bob said:
I am going to buy the basic DRM Engine oil cooler. Do I need anything else (such as some type of valve that does not open until oil pressure and temp are high enough)? As you can see from my question I don't know very much about this!
I have a DRM Ron Davis radiator with integrated oil cooler. Its very high-quality and I a most pleased.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bob said:
If I were to classify myself, I would say that I am a DE enthusiast (hobbyist) that loves to track the car, but I do not have deep pockets that would enable me to have a trailer, tow vehicle, separate set of track wheels and tires.... When I go to the track I have the minimum. I am trying to do my best to keep the car in good order and get in as much DE time as possible.
Remember that once you add a stand-alone oil cooler and cool t-stat you are in trouble for cool weather driving on the street. Your car will not heat up very well and your oil will stay pretty cold. One good thing about the integrated radiator/oil cooler is that in the winter the water, which heats up more quickly than the oil, heats up the oil so the oil doesn't stay ice cold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts