Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Z06 and I've driven it a few hundred miles and I'm still getting used to the raw power and torque. The car is a true beauty and I'm finding it difficult to find any flaws at all with the car. I was just wondering what most put on their car first, I was planning an intake and maybe some headers, any input from you guys? Is the Halltech trap any good and will I feel any difference with it installed? Would I notice a difference if I also bought a 90mm TB and FAST 90mm intake as well? Also how much does labor cost to install a header system such as the LG? Thanks in advance.

-Drew

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! :z:

Headers are good and LG's are one of the best out there. It's about 3 hours of labor at most shops between $250-300. to install typically.

The TRAP is one of the more popular systems here. You may wnat to consider a Vararam. Personally I use a Blackwing and like it. Easy install- and no probs.

Don't think you will gain much with a 90mm TB nor 90mm intake on the stock cubes.

Others will chime in. Have fun!

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 1st mod was installing a B&M ripper shifter. The aftermarket short-throw shifters are nice. The draw back to them is that they do require a little more effort to shift.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Welcome tunedZ. Glad you're here.

Just about everyone does and intake and exhaust for starters. I also have the Blackwing and love it. Like bigbadbevo said, it was an easy install with zero problems. In addition to headers you may want to look into a cat back system. You'll get 50 different opinions from people around here as to which is best and why. After much homework and a few purchases and trials, I decided on the GHL's. I think they are the best sounding...if you're looking for that "muscle car" sound of old. Stick with any of the popular intakes and exhausts and you won't go wrong. It's all personal preference. Good luck and start saving your mod money...you'll probably need lots of it. :yeadog:

Charlie

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but you may want to check those California automotive laws first. As far as I know, to pass inspection both smog and visual you can not have anything but stock intake and exhaust. No Vararam, No headers especially LT's or aftermarket exhaust. You might want to talk to the guys at L.A.P.D and see if there is any way arround it. Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
as far as CA smog laws go, the air intakes wont "pass" the visual unless they are given a CARB exemption number. although most inspection places wont really care as long as you have a valid filter in there and as long as the MAF is working properly.

about the exhaust.... any cat back that has anything resembling a muffler will work. technically it wont pass, but if its got "mufflers" on it, and it passes the sniffer, you'll be fine. the headers is where youre gonna run into serious problems. the headers MUST have an exemption number, or you will fail automatically. to get this, the header manufacturer must make a header that does not interfere with the cats in any way... moving them, deleting them, so on. that is why long tube header designs wont work. there ARE smog legal shory style headers that will work just fine, but most on here will probably tell you "why bother?"

......but if it was me, i would just find some shady looking place and break it down for him and say, i need to pass. pay the man if you have too.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Seems to me the first mod needs to be a move out of Kalifornia... :p

The day after you can get intake, longtubes and cat back... :) hehehe

·
Registered
940 Posts
tunedZ said:
I recently purchased a Z06 and I've driven it a few hundred miles and I'm still getting used to the raw power and torque. The car is a true beauty and I'm finding it difficult to find any flaws at all with the car. I was just wondering what most put on their car first, I was planning an intake and maybe some headers, any input from you guys? Is the Halltech trap any good and will I feel any difference with it installed? Would I notice a difference if I also bought a 90mm TB and FAST 90mm intake as well? Also how much does labor cost to install a header system such as the LG? Thanks in advance.

-Drew
Hey Drew, I would start out with your mod budget first. I've done all of my mods myself to save money. I went with intake and exhaust first, few months later headers with a programer, and then a shifter. Those are the most popular ones. Thats my 2 cents. Goodluck modding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
will I feel a nice performance difference with an intake? I'm leaning towards the halltech trap, altho I also hear some good things about the vararam. Is the vararam noticeably better or is it just user preference? Also what else should I do to hit around 400rwhp? Will an intake, exhaust, headers and a good tune achieve that? Is there anything else I should do, as far as cooling or any other worthwhile mods go? My goal is around that much before I do an H/C package. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it.

-Drew

·
Banned
809 Posts
1. CAGS defeat
2. Aftermarket shifter of your choice
3. Drivers school
4. More seat time at the track

I really don't get why people feel like they need more power with the Z06. If you've ever been to the track (road course) with your car, you'll quickly realize that very few mere mortals can fully exploit the car at the track, let alone the street. Whenever I get back from a DE, I realize that you can't even come close to what you're doing at the track on the street.

Sal

·
Registered
109 Posts
salvador said:
1. CAGS defeat
2. Aftermarket shifter of your choice
3. Drivers school
4. More seat time at the track

I really don't get why people feel like they need more power with the Z06. If you've ever been to the track (road course) with your car, you'll quickly realize that very few mere mortals can fully exploit the car at the track, let alone the street. Whenever I get back from a DE, I realize that you can't even come close to what you're doing at the track on the street.

Sal
QFE. seat time > all else. I've seen more 500+ HP cars spin it and go off course. My Z is still faster than I am, and until it's not, I'm spending the dinero on brakes, cooling gizmos, tires, and seat time. It's pretty addicting, and you meet some of the nicest people there.
--Yak

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The Vararam is quite good at making power on the top end. I have one and love it. Install is a royal PITA and filter replacement takes 15 minutes and a screwdriver. If you go with Vararam get a K&N filter, do not run the race filter as the every day unit. Optic did side by side test of the Vararam and Trap, and the Vararam "won" .. but that said the Trap is a fine piece too.

400 RWHP - you can get close with bolt-on's .. LT's by Kooks or LGM, CAI, ported TB, underdrive pulley (if you are going with a cam wait for that and do at the same time), and tuning will get you to 390 RWHP, +/- 3. Very hard to get to 400 without getting into the motor.

Mufflers/exhaust will yield you little or nothing - so buy for sound, not power.

Les

tunedZ said:
will I feel a nice performance difference with an intake? I'm leaning towards the halltech trap, altho I also hear some good things about the vararam. Is the vararam noticeably better or is it just user preference? Also what else should I do to hit around 400rwhp? Will an intake, exhaust, headers and a good tune achieve that? Is there anything else I should do, as far as cooling or any other worthwhile mods go? My goal is around that much before I do an H/C package. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it.

-Drew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts