Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepping my car for several sessions at Watkins Glen this summer. I was on the phone with a parts guy (who only sells the standard Goodridge SS lines). He suggested that there are issues with the anti-lock braking system when the AN fittings are used. Something to do with higher flow rates through the lines.

This did not make much sense to me as I believe the system functionality is driven by wheel rotation, or lack of, as well as inputs from accelerometers and other sensors.

Did I get fed one full serving of ????

If there are no issues, any idea where I can get a set with the AN fittings, they appear to be pretty scarce. I would like to replace the lines when I install my SS caliper pistons.

On another tangent, any thoughts on using Nitrogen in the tires for the track. What pressures would you run? Why would you do this, does it expand at a lower rate than air with temperature? Good ole PV=nRT comes to mind, but it did not help much... :pp:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The AN conectors will NOT cause any problems with the ABS. In fact the will give you better fedelity, response and modulation. That's why all the top racers use them.

You can get the complete line sets with the -3AN connectors from Mallett

You can seperately buy the -AN connectors and appropriate fittings from Pegasus and convert lines with Banjo connectors.

There have been some indications that SS lines may have built a static charge that causes the ECM to throw codes. A way to avert this is to install shrink wrap over the lines during install.

In addition some of interpreted the ABS "Ice Mode" as a problem with the ABS attributed to the SS lines or -AN fittings when it is not; it's just the ABS programming and a realm in which many drives have not gotten into save on the track with the ABS. It has nothing to do with the connectors.

The reason the Banjo connectors are not appropriate for race applications is that their ID is small and restrictive, can trap air, gives poor response and modulation and has more seperations to leak and entrain air.

Tire pressures are determined by type of tire and amount of camber you are running and net tire temps.
1st, What type of tires?

Using dry Nitrogen in the tires allows a smaller and more constant response to heat rather than compressed air which contains a high amount of water vapor.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires are the stock F1's. I got the Z with 10K miles on it and the original tires have about 75% tread left on them. As far as camber...I saw a post here that gave a recommendation for a good street/track compromise without changing out front end parts. The responding community seemed to agree with it.

This year I am focusing on making the car safer by adding a 4 point roll bar, harness, and brake improvements. I'll take on the whole tire/wheel thing next winter.

Thanks for you help, I never considered the moisture content of free air.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nitrogen does you NO good if you have had the tires installed with watery soap. You hve to use dry mounting soap for nitrogen use to be of any good. Hot slick pressures vary 3-4psi with nitrogen and 6-8 libs with wet air cold to hot

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
As stated above, I've been using them for 2 years and never had any problems.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had earl's lines on mine and chased brake error codes for 3 years until I finally got word that it could be the brake lines causing the problems. The GM bulletin that came out actually mentioned the lines and specifically the rear ones. My best advice is change the rear lines back to the stock rubber lines and see if that cures the problem. If it does, you now know where to start. Once I switched to the Goodridge lines, I've had no problems though.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
wtknght1 said:
I had earl's lines on mine and chased brake error codes for 3 years until I finally got word that it could be the brake lines causing the problems.
I've heard that this can be attributed to static electricity. Wrapped mine in shrink tube prior to install and never had a code.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So I wonder why the Goodridge lines don't seem to cause this problem. They are SS lines too??? Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I had codes w/ my Goodrige lines w/ bajo fittings. I broke one so I got Goodrige lines w/ AN fittings from VB&P and the codes are gone and have never come back even after two more HPDE's. The rear lines in the kit however are a tight fit and are at their limit when the car is up in the air. I called VB&P and they said they buy the kits made allready for the vettes. I keep a close eye on all of it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for your help. I have ordered the lines with A-N fittings from VB&P . They have great prices ($139). Then I mentioned this forum and got an additional 10% off, down to $125. The woman I spoke to said that this is their standard policy.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
When you get them please please PM me and let me know if it's a very tight fit it the rear w/ the car in the air. VB&P says they didn't mess me up, but the brake line is at it's limit when off the ground.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Damn!!! I never knew about the 10% aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh =(

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Derek... I did the same search... VBP is the cheapest for AN fitting SS lines.

·
Registered
350 Posts
kmagvette said:
On another tangent, any thoughts on using Nitrogen in the tires for the track. What pressures would you run? Why would you do this, does it expand at a lower rate than air with temperature? Good ole PV=nRT comes to mind, but it did not help much... :pp:
Don't waste your time or money. Nitrogen in the tires are only really going to pay off at a MUCH higher level racing. I've tried the nitrogen at a couple of national events and didn't notice a difference. Nitrogen supposedly increases in pressure more evenly than air because there's very little water vapor in Nitrogen...as opposed to just compressed air.

I've won plenty of Nationals and set many a track record on just air. For now, just concentrate on driving well and not worrying so much about tiny things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts