Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Goodyear F1s that were on the car when I bought it, so I'm not familiar with how much you can wear them.. On my other vehicles, I use the tires until there is no tread left at all.. How much can you safely use on the F1s? I live in GA and the car stays covered, so I don't have to worry about dry rotting too much.. Right now I have about 1/8 inch left and I'd like to squeeze as much life out of them as possible, without running into problems.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got about 30,000 miles out of mine until the belts came through (on the inside of the fronts from the neg camber). The rears were done, but no belts protruding. Running the tires this low obviously decreases the performance of the tire, I wouldn't recomend doing this but, if you don't push you car too hard, you could probably get away with it.
:z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Goodyear F1's are very poor in the rain even when they are new. Great on dry roads. Some folks get 10,000 out a set others 20,000 miles and more. One thing most folks forget is the regardless of how much thread is left on a tire, they lose there effectiveness as they age. The rubber starts to harden and vulcanizes. IMO they should not be used for spirited driving after 3 or 4 years. :z:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with judging it by 3 or 4 years is, like I said, they were on the car when I bought it, so I have no way of knowing how old they are..
Finnz06: when you say the "belts protruding", are you talking about the metal banding? And if I half 1/8 inch of tread left, shouldn't it be a while before I begin to see the belts?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Fronts 47k, rear 33k all highway. The real problem is as they get low you start to pick up screws, nails etc..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not sure about the safety inspections required by other states, but I've had to get new rear tires every year in order to pass inspection. The F1's have a little piece of rubber between the tread blocks that is supposed to measure the minimum depth that they go by here in TX.

I experienced the same belt protrusion on the fronts two years ago. Negative camber definately caused that. I pretty much drive my car every nice weather day so that may be why I go through tires pretty quickly.

·
Registered
878 Posts
its not so much about the number of miles-its traction-for acceleration or performance mine were done at 18-20k..there is so little traction in 1st and 2nd its kinda dangerous IMO.replace um if treadwear bars are flush.. :D, here is my z with brand new f1'shttp://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74991&goto=newpost
its wonderful-it hooks up again :ity:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
18K sounds like the magic number.

I've gone through two sets so far at 35 k miles.

Could be more if you drive easier but I'd say for the most part 20 K would be a good guideline. IMO

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
my opinion is to go ahead and buy new tires instead of trying to stretch it out. It's easier to buy new tires than a new Z (especially the 06) :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
whats the price$ gonna b on the c6Z tires :-?
i thought mine were expensive......... :eyes:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Got 14,000 out of the F1's then went to the NittoR2's.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I replaced my BALD rear F1s at about 30k miles. You have to remember that these tires have zero traction after that many miles of spirited driving. It's a good idea to evaluate the tires after about 20k miles.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Although my F1SC tires had about 18K miles after about 3 years, I had to replace the rears because they would break loose even on hot dry days when going through the first few gears under what might be considered some moderate acceleration. I did have a bit (about 65 rwhp) more power than stock. The fronts were still pretty decent but I replaced them at about 22K when I drove cross country.

The F1SC's are a very good performance tire, far better than most and the price is about mid range. They are an excellent dry tire and a decent but not great wet tire. However, when the driving surface has puddling they will "float" due to the tread design. Keep in mind it is that tread design that makes them a superior dry tire. Tires with large channels may be better rain tire but they are not even close on the dry surface.

From my experience, I would not push the mileage on the rears. When they get close to the "wear" bars, they are at the edge of their safety limits when pushing the performance window. The price of a new tire is cheap compared to compromising the safety of your passengers and your car. I never understood why folks worry about a few dollars when safety is at risk.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Mine lasted 34,000 miles. I just replaced then with new F-1's last week.

I remember a poll like this a while back and the range was from 6,000 to 60,000. Given that kind of a range, it would be hard to draw any conclusions.

I believe they should be replaced at 4/32. Three of mine were 3/32 and one was 4/32 (This one had to replace when the car was fairly new after being in an accident).

They are great tires in the wet, or dry. However if there is standing water on the road, they are not good. I replaced mine with F-1's. The standing water situations are pretty rare, so I just slow down.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I got a good 10K miles on my rear tires and am still using the front. Keep in mind I always use my traction control. So it proves that it doesn't help make your tires last longer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got 24k out of F1s. Same issues as the others; at or near the wear bars, neg camber wearing out the inside to the belts, no traction on moderate to hard acceleration. I replaced them with the same size Michelin Pilot Sports that cost about $1300 installed from Costco. Also went and immediately had a 4 wheel alignment done by the Chevy garage. Still trying to see how I like the Pilot Sports but the are quieter on concrete roads and seem to handle well (haven't been driving on the twisties yet - so the jury is still out on this).

·
Registered
355 Posts
bud miller said:
its not so much about the number of miles-its traction-for acceleration or performance mine were done at 18-20k..there is so little traction in 1st and 2nd its kinda dangerous IMO.replace um if treadwear bars are flush.. :D, here is my z with brand new f1'shttp://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74991&goto=newpost
its wonderful-it hooks up again :ity:
I totally agree. At about 15k the rears lost their stickiness. Cornering was fair but once the tread depth gets down your off the line traction willl suck. If you NEVER race the car of course, you can drive it until the tread is almost gone but you risk getting your ass kicked by all kinds of 13 second cars once your launch is gone. The fronts are still okay I think but I am afraid to drive the car anywhere near it's cornering limits.
Worn out rubber basically drops you to LT1 C4 performance, which is probably not what you bought car for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts