Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at C6's for over a year now and I still do not care for the styling. The new Z styling also leaves me unimpressed compared to my C5 Z. They could have done so much more in that area IMHO. However, the LS-7 is another story. For those of us you who share my sentiments (apparently a not insubstantial number) the info below may be of interest. :thumb:

I am curious how the dry sump oiling issue would work out if transplant surgery is done...

FOR RELEASE: 2005-03-22

CONTACTS

Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

DETROIT - Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Corvette Z06 at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January, and now GM Performance Parts is unveiling the crate engine version of the LS7 engine that powers it. This latest Z06, billed as "the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and GM," has enthusiasts looking for that kind of power in a crate engine. GM Performance Parts is ready to end that search as it offers the LS7 (P/N 17802397) at GM dealerships and Authorized Centers, nationwide in August.

This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium.

The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

Pricing will be announced mid-summer; however, early estimates indicate that the GMPP LS7 crate engine will sell for well below the cost of comparable custom-built aftermarket engines.

Enthusiasts who must have the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the largest production cubic-inch displacement small-block ever built will be able to purchase the LS7, as well as other GM Performance Parts crate engines, blocks, heads and components, from GM dealerships or GMPP Authorized Centers nationwide. Following the release of the LS7 in a crate, GMPP will offer select parts, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads and valves separately, and in kit form. To locate the closest GM dealership or GMPP Authorized Center or dealership, call 1-800-GM USE US or visit www.goodwrench.com.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds, and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

LS7 specifications:

Part number: 17802397
Horsepower: 500 (373 kW) @ 6200 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.): 475 (644 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
Engine type: Cam-in-block 90-degree V-8
Displacement (L/cu in): 7.0 / 427
Bore x stroke (mm/in) 104.8 x 101.6 / 4.125 x 4.00
Block: Cast aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged steel main bearing caps
Crankshaft: Forged steel
Connecting rods: Forged titanium
Pistons: Cast aluminum
Camshaft type: Hydraulic roller, 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)
Cylinder heads: CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume
Valve size (mm/in): 56 / 2.20 (titanium) intake / 41 / 1.61 (sodium-filled) exhaust
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Rocker arms: 1.8:1; offset (intake only)
Recommended fuel: Premium required. 91 octane minimum

·
Registered
881 Posts
WOW!! Great info - I was waiting for this! I wonder how many other issues there might be with accessories, etc. What is included in a crate engine? Throttle body, water pump, etc? Will our headers bolt up? How about the alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner compressor - all that stuff? We will obviously need to make room for the oil reservoir. But, if all of those things are addressable, this could be the deal of the century for many of us!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Can't wait to here what the price id going to be :cheers:

·
Registered
727 Posts
BLUEBYU, youre my hero....Ive been scrounging around any corvette internet site I could find for the past 3 months looking for info on the LS7 carte motor. Like you, I want a C5 with a 427 and if GM is going to produce these in crate motor form, I would have to think that they will be significantly cheaper than a comparable aftermarket 427 based on the C5R block. From those that I have talked to, the LS2 will bolt into a C5 with only minor tweaks and tuning of some of the sensors. Im hoping that the LS7 will do the same. As for the dry sump fuel resevior...worst case senario, move the battery to the trunk and set it up where the battery currently sits...thats pretty much the way it works in the C6 Z06 as far as I can tell. Anyway, if you find any more information, please keep us posted. Thanks!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wouldn't suprise me if Lingenfelter, Cartek, et al, offer 427 "kits". Engine fully installed with upgraded clutch, hardened output shafts etc. Probably offer the new brake system too. The question is, will be if cost effective relative to a new ZO6. :-?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
RalphP said:
WOW!! Great info - I was waiting for this! I wonder how many other issues there might be with accessories, etc. What is included in a crate engine? Throttle body, water pump, etc? Will our headers bolt up? How about the alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner compressor - all that stuff? We will obviously need to make room for the oil reservoir. But, if all of those things are addressable, this could be the deal of the century for many of us!
I can comment on this, I bought a ramjet 502 crate engine a year and a half ago. The engine was pretty much setup to mount, connect 4 wires, plug in a very simple harness, connect fuel lines and go. All sensors etc. were included. Waterpump, and starter were included.

That was pretty much it minus the headers, add a flexplate and starter.

now for the good news. Since the LS7 is a newer and probably just as emissions friendly engine as the LS6, I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be any sort of emissions/inspection headaches using The LS7 as long as all polution systems were kept effective. That being said, since GMPP has made interesting upgrade packages out of crate engines (one being a lower performance 502 upgrade for big block trucks, another for camaros I believe) If we get together and give them a polite poke, they might be interested in making an outright upgrade package for LS1's/LS6's. The vette segment does spend money on upgrades, and it might even carry some degree of a warranty through GM and its divisions.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Speculation I've heard is that "if" they do a 427 crate motor will be in the 12K to 18K range.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
well that efi 502 was 9100 with shipping...510/560, with a bottom end thats happy with a 200 shot so far. Too bad I can't fit one in the Z....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think the "if" part of the equation has been solved and the answer = LS7/08/05. Now, is it "cost effective"? Good question and the answer is it depends... :lol: First of all, do you like the style of your C5Z better than the new offering? I do, very much so. Second, if you live in a State like I do where counties charge an annual personal property tax based upon the their estimated value of the car - you are talking a major difference in $$for the first few years - thousands of bucks. Third, after talking to my State Farm agent, I came away confident that the insurance premiums on a new $60k ++ aluminum frame based Z will be a lot more bucks than I am paying now.

I had a friend who put a 502 crate motor in his Chevelle and it was delivered as undertaker sez.. And Dr. Octane, I agree with you that the major tuners will hop on this like white on rice. If they can powertrain warranty a Mag S/C install, why not a production motor from the General?

My guess is it will cost around $14k - LS6s in the crate from GM can be found for slightly over $5k.

I am pretty certain that this is the route I am gonna take next winter - I probably should mention something to the missus before she notices the car is gone! :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I've always said I'd prefer a 427 in this vette to a C6Z. Oh boy....what to do with the LS6 when it comes out and needs a home!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm definitely watching for the LS7 crate pricing. Although, before it ever even entered my vehicle, it'd be receiving a transplant of the camshaft...

However...I'm going to have to say the relative costs of building a forged 383 stroker would probably be ~1/3rd the cost of what GM is planning on asking for the LS7...So that would probably be my more economical alternative should I ever feel the need to spend the cash on a larger cubed motor. I just won't be carrying the 427 moniker that way. :(

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
undertaker said:
I've always said I'd prefer a 427 in this vette to a C6Z. Oh boy....what to do with the LS6 when it comes out and needs a home!
Hmmm, and just the other day my daughter's boyfriend said to me "if you ever want to sell your engine..." The way he spends money on her I am sure he could pony up $2,500 bucks.. :rofl:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mo

Assuming it fits into a C5/Z06 platform. (It probably will not, due to sitting lower in the C6 Z06 and mounting holes).

You need a

Computer, Wiring harness, Dry Sump, custom headers, battery relocation, Air Bridge, Custom Output shaft
And A Lot of Custom Work $$$$. Keep in mine, the engine compartment is pobably a hair wider on the C6 Z06.

Hmm 12-18k+7k+Custom Work+Time+It probably will not work=A Wet Dream on Drugs. In any case good luck on getting the crate motor delivered by Next Spring, even though they may take your money this summer.

Just a thought.

Save the money, buy the C6Z06 or do your C5Z06 with a Darton/C5R. I am doing both.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Anything will work. I'm sure you'll end up spending close to $15-20k in the end to achieve a LS7 motorswap. Thus, why I would go the built 383-stroker route as mentioned prior, there'd be enough left over for twin turbos if I wanted (cheaper alternative of supercharger/nitrous available) and I'd dog anyone with an LS7 swap. The coolness factor of the LS7 in the C5 platform, however, would not be there (how much better would the 383TT be, though?). People will get the swap to work, it'll cost a few pesos, and other people will follow suit. Everyone has a different concept of how to achieve their goals.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
The specs on the engine sounds good, but I don't like the sound of the pistons (Cast aluminum).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grim Reaper said:
Assuming it fits into a C5/Z06 platform. (It probably will not, due to sitting lower in the C6 Z06 and mounting holes).

You need a

Computer, Wiring harness, Dry Sump, custom headers, battery relocation, Air Bridge, Custom Output shaft
And A Lot of Custom Work $$$$. Keep in mine, the engine compartment is pobably a hair wider on the C6 Z06.

Hmm 12-18k+7k+Custom Work+Time+It probably will not work=A Wet Dream on Drugs. In any case good luck on getting the crate motor delivered by Next Spring, even though they may take your money this summer.

Just a thought.

Save the money, buy the C6Z06 or do your C5Z06 with a Darton/C5R. I am doing both.
Well, "Grim" your moniker fits.. It's a small block, so I think it will fit (obviously with some modifications) and since Chev is eager to sell it as a crate motor, it's hard for me to believe that they were not thinking abou the substantial potential of the C5 market.

There are some of us (quite a few of us I believe) that simply do not care for the C6 styling. It's not a slam on those who do, just a viewpoint. I don't buy cars that have styling that does not work for me - especially toys. If it works for you - then you will be a happy new owner.

As for when it is available, well - all of us who have been around Vettes for a while know how to spell C-O-N-S-T-R-A-I-N-T-S. It's a fact of life, ask those who waited for months for a Vert with a power top, or anything but a black canvas top.

I think your estimates are way high, but if you are right - I will just take another route to the power upgrade I want.

It's all good, bro. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
If I decide to do any more power upgrades to my car in the future, I would seriously consider the LS7 crate motor. I don't think GM is going to overcharge for it, don't forget that they are in business to sell parts as well as cars and trucks and know that there is going to be a pretty large market for this motor. If they offer it at a reasonable price they are going to sell a bunch of them. As far as adapting it to work in a C5, there are many tuners across the country that will figure this out right away and probably offer a conversion kit
to anyone who is willing to pay the price.
I'd be willing to bet that within a year of the availability of the new Z and the LS7 sold as a crate motor there will be all
kinds of aftermarket parts available for it and you are going to see plenty of new Z's running around making sick power
N/A with some nasty head and cam packages and full bolt-ons. Just look how far the C5 has come with aftermarket
power adders/upgrades. Hell, there are a bunch of big cube C5's owned by members here, and more being converted as we speak. The aftermarket potential of this new motor is going to be awesome. Of course this is just my opinion and I could be wrong, but just wait and see what happens, this is going to be GREAT! :ity: Jim

·
Registered
727 Posts
I agree that Grims estimates are a little high...I dont think Chevy will sell many of the LS7 as crate motors if the cost is approaching that of a quality aftermarket unit, but if the price can be kept between 8 and 12 thousand, I think a good number of us would attempt the swap, especially if they release some form of install kit that would make for an essentially plug and play set up. Also something to keep in mind...when the LS6 first came out in crate motor form, I distinctly remember it being upwards of eight grand, if Im not mistaken they can be found new now for between 5 and 6. Im sure that just like the C6, the LS7 will command a premium price for a year or so after its release, but after all those who have to be first to have everything have gotten theirs, I wouldnt be suprised if the prices came down a grand or two. I also agree that in the end, there will probably be cheaper ways of making the same amount of power, but cheaper and easier are not always one in the same. I for one would much prefer to pay a little extra and just drop and LS7 into a car that I know was designed to run for many thousands of miles as opposed to bolting a blower onto my daily driver and keeping my fingers crossed while having to deal with having it tuned just right, etc, etc. Also I think we all would agree that a 427 Vette, in whatever form it may be (small block, big block, 1967, 2003,...) is in a class by itself, reguardless of how the two came together.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How much would the install cost with all necessary parts and labor? Could it be done under 10grand with an engine swap providing the ls7 came in around 10,000? (engine swap=cost of labor?) Anything over 10,000 would cause me to consider c6zo6.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts