Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to see the active handling do it's thing :D. I was in 2nd gear and coming out of a tight 90 degree corner at about 25 MPH I nailed it pretty good. Of course the rear end starts to come around real fast on me, but then the active handlng kicked in almost instantly and brought the car back under control. I thought it did an exellent job of correcting the car. I'm sure if the AH was off, I would have fish tailed all over the place before I could correct it myself, or enen possibly lost it all together and looped it.

I know the AH can't pull you out of evey bad situation, but on this particular one, it seemed like the AH had it all under control very quickly with no effort.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
After 7000 miles on the Z06, I still can't believe how touchy it is in second gear. Thank god for AH! Hopefully I'll learn more at the Justin Bell driving school. :D :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
I personally like Competition Mode :D I enjoy the "squirl" of yesteryear:eek: (With the control of technology:cheers: )

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
AH is a godsend!

I was driving near a construction zone in North Dallas and when making a 90 degree right hand turn I hit a large area of small stones, sand and dirt. The ass-end started to come visit me and before I could let off the gas---the car corrected itself! Amazing feeling! I had no idea that debris was in the roadway before I made the turn....once in I thought for sure my lateral motion would take me into the 6" concrete curb and damage my front end and both tire/wheels.

Amazing the computer did it's thing. Attaboy to the GM team!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Does AH make a sound when it comes on? Like a notice does on the DIC?

I ask because I had something happen tonight that makes me question if my AH is working. I was pulling out of a parking lot on to a 4 lane with a turning lane. I was going left. I didn't punch it or hit the gas real hard, but about halfway through the left hand turn the back in came around FAST. I ended up doing a 180 and wound up going the other direction. I was in the lane closest to the turn out (just like I had turned right instead of left).

I never heard AH engage or felt it. It was enabled because I checked it right after this. My wife wasn't amused. :) Where was my AH?!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I would get it checked

NetJunkie,

I would get your AH checked. The default setting, as you know, is AH enabled when you start up your car so if you hadn't turned it off then it should have kicked in. The DIC also gives you a message when AH kicks in. At least it has when I've exceeded the limits.

·
Registered
420 Posts
How long does the DIC message stay up? I looked right after I got back control and didn't see anything, and I didn't hear the sound when it throws a code.

If I take it to a parking lot and do a donut will AH kick in?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AH Indications

When the AH kicked in on my Z, I did not hear any "warning chime", but you can easily tell it's working because the car basically "takes over" for you until its back on course. The trottle will chop and the brakes may become active also depending on how out of shape you get.

There is a message that shows up on the DIC, but by the time you have a chance to look down its usually gone.

NetJunkie -- you should check for trouble codes to make sure something isn't wrong. To give your AH a test, go find a safe sharp corner somewhere and come out of the corner in 2nd gear with your foot heavy in the gas. The car should start to get out of shape, and the AH should kick in almost instantly afterwards. I'd say if you did a 180 in your Z that the AH may not be working, or maybe it's possible that you where going too slow for it to work? -- I don't know for sure. If you where in competition mode, it might be possible to do power donuts in the parking lot. Test it out and see :D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts