Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the country, off a major 2 lane highway. I follow a pattern when someone is behind me and I am turing on the side road to my house. I turn my turn signal on about 1/2 mile from the intersection which has no light or signal, and just take the car out of gear to gradually slow down. Normally if no one is coming the other way (you can see for a quarter mile or so) I pull in the left lane to let the guy behind me get by easily. Tonight there is a car coming towards me so I can't get in the left lane, and I hug the center line tight and am moving slowing to turn, I look in my rear view mirror, and oh $hit. The guy behind me in a truck looks like he is going to hit me.

Kaboom, some of you know that sickening sound, I am counting my fingers and toes, I am OK. I watch the guy almost roll his truck as he passes, and ends on the edge of the road, with his right rear about 3 feet off the ground. I complete my turn to get out of the road althought something is rubbing badly. There is plastic all over the road. I call 911 and think oh $hit, I won't be able to take my Vette to the Cruise In at NCM (funny what you think about at times).

I survey the damage - right rear quarter panel pretty screwed up, tire cut and flat (wheel looked OK), trunk worked and looked OK, perhaps suspension broke. I got hit hard enough to break the screws that held the license plate in place and throw it on the road. It tore his left front tire off, and he was fortunate not to roll it.

I consoled the guy - hey no one got hurt. I feel damn lucky now. Can you imagine getting hit dead square in the rear in your Z at a dead stop by a Ford Expedition going 65, perhaps knocked into an on coming car. Fortunately, I got hit just on the right rear by a glancing blow. God was looking down on me tonight. I won't forget that gift from him

My homepage

·
Registered
906 Posts
Good to hear you're OK... sorry about your Z.

HarleyB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to hear you are both ok, that could have been much worse.

I will say that the guy who hit you is very lucky... had he hit me, I wouldn't have been as polite as you /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
Man, that is sikening!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif The #1 thing that concerns me is that everyone is OK. Material items can always be replaced.

Sorry about your Z, man!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry about your Z. Glad to hear everyone was O.K.
People need to pay more attention when they drive!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You've got a great attitude - we need more like you. Glad y'all are okay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad your ok, Now you have a good excuse to get a 2002

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good to hear everyone lived! Hell of a accident. Could have been much worse.

Poor Z though! Take some pics of your Z if you get a chance and post them. It'd be kinda interesting to see the damage.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cars, can always be replaced but you cant. I guess it's true what they say most accidents happen close to home. Glad to hear you are ok.

Cecil

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow - Glad all is well in body and soul. The Z will fix and all will be well in the end. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I got rear ended about two years ago. My Crown Vic was hit dead on by a toyota going about 40 mph. Scatch on my bumper only - he could not drive his car after due to total front end wipeout. Not a scratch on either of us though - seat belts sure help! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay, you are lucky someone was watching out for you, look on the bright side, you can get a 2002 ZO6!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Glad to hear no one was hurt. You were both quite fortunate. The C5 is one tough car. Have heard stories and saw pictures of some nasty wrecks, and the drivers came out realatively unscathed.
Your expereince is further proof of the car's ability to take a hard hit, and keep the contents in one piece.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Steve:

Very pleased to read your ok! Sorry to hear about your Z being hit...hopefully your insurance will cover everything.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The cost to repair the car is a little shocking - $7,500, so far. The right front tire went flat over the weekend. Both rims on the right side were cracked. He said $1,050 for the front rim and $550 for the back which doesn't make any sense to me. All of the right rear suspension components need to be replaced as well as the axle, and he hadn't really looked at the front, other than the wheel. The DIC was giving them wacky error codes when they tried to check the mileage.

I really hate this. A wrecked car always seems like damaged goods to me.

However he thought it would be ready to leave for the Cruise In II event on May 24 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/smfcpacfp/accident.shtml

1 - 17 of 17 Posts