Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this recall notice and i never had a problem with column Lock and i got about 40k miles on the car so should i ge the cLB done or let it be? i just dont want to fix something that ain't broke.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I got it a couple of months ago...threw it in the trash. I have 40K on the clock also and I've never had a problem either. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't believe they've engineered a correct fix, so I'm not doing it. The aftermarket has a better answer.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
my opinion is to go ahead and get it fixed. not going to cost you any money to do so and if it happens to fail while you are driving, you might not be able to take any action since you never took care of the recall.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine was done by 21st CMC when I got the tune. :coo:

**Be sure to not go to the dealership and get the CLB recall done if you have had your car tuned, they reset your PCM**

·
Registered
20 Posts
GEEZ, I'm glad you told me that, I just tuned my car and was about to go and get that done.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No PCM edits done yet, so I'll get the CLRecall done to stop the notices if nothing else...

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car has been in - 3 - times for this and now it has started locking up again. plus I just got another recall notice how many times does it take to get it right?

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
No, this is not a fix, all this "fix" does is cut the fuel if the CLB happens while the car is in motion. The chances of that happening are slim, very slim. 99.9% of the time CLB occurs when the car is at rest, so the "fix" does nothing for you.

I would consider it if they were actually fixing something, but they are not, don't wste your time.

Mark

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
mdickie said:
No, this is not a fix, all this "fix" does is cut the fuel if the CLB happens while the car is in motion. The chances of that happening are slim, very slim. 99.9% of the time CLB occurs when the car is at rest, so the "fix" does nothing for you.

I would consider it if they were actually fixing something, but they are not, don't wste your time.

Mark
How very true Mark, just a bandaid:(
I wish GM would just fix it right instead of wasting the money to send me recall notices, 7 as of this week.:screwy:

Jack

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is my take on it when my car was stock and I thought it was just a change in programming I was going to do it then I read the procedures for the recall. They do check your steering wheel and if there is any noise, sticking (dealer wants to make a little more money) they take it apart and replace it... Now you have the steering wheel with the active handling being taken apart from some dipwad (sorry if this offends just my experience) I DO NOT think so.

So I installed the CLB and no problems. If it was a ligetimate fix like they have for the autos I may consider it but I don't want a dealer near my car if I can help it....

·
Registered
208 Posts
basically everyone already covered this above. Waste of time for something that is not even a fix for the problem. If anything, its adding to the problem so why bother...
I installed the aftermarket CLB and will never do this recall unless GM pulls their head out of their @$$ and has an actual fix for this.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I never had a problem on my black Z until I took it in for the supposed fix. What a bunch of BS. I just got the recall notice for my yellow Z, but like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Even if you have the recall done, and if the column locks up again and the dealer finds the problem to be in the motor or the pin, which is not a part of the recall, you will have to pay for the repair. It's called "normal wear." This situation has happened and cost the guy $400.00.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just had column lock problems today, first time

I've never gotten a recall notice for the CL on my 2004 Z16, but today I got the "Service Column Lock" message for the first time (with around 9600 miles on it), and sure enough the lock has become flaky, sometimes not locking at all and sometimes staying locked. As designed, the engine stalls if I exceed 1.5mph when the CL message is displayed.

I have gotten a recall notice for the ball joint washer issue. I will be taking it (or having it flatbedded, depending on whether or not I can make it go) to the dealer tomorrow. Just hope they don't damage it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
PuterGeek said:
I have gotten a recall notice for the ball joint washer issue.
I have not seen this one before, can anyone provide more details?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The only way I would have the recall done is if I had the stock tune (If you don't the tune will be erased ) and the car was going in for some other maintenance. I don't want my baby exposed to some lot boy etc. :cheers:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Good post, i was wondering what to do myself...What i don'y want is to have them wipe out my tuning!!!!! :bang:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my tuner remove my "Tune" and put it back to stock. Did the recall and then went back and had him upload it back in. Pain in the butt, but I did not want to lose the tune. This way I did not have to go back on the Dyno to put the tune back in, plus he didn't charge me.

I have a CLB sitting on my workbench, but someone said you can't use it if you have done the recall. May be rummor or not true but it has kept me from putting it in. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts