Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And all I got to say is :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I got a phone call from a friend who said there is a C6 Z06 outside of his neighborhood. I drove there asap and saw this beauty. 5 mins later the guy comes out of his house and it turns out to be an engineer from the proving ground. I asked him for a ride but he said he can't due to liability purposes. I understand..I guess, lol. So, we started talking about the car..here is what I gathered up.

Where do I start?? I will just go over the main points

Interior- Seats are MUCH better. Have a great solid feel to them. Not even in the same league as the C5 Z06 seats. The seats remind me very much of the GTO's seats. Comfortable, supportive, and rich feeling. The shifter feels great. Pretty short (definitely shorter than the C5 Z06) and crisp. I really liked the way it felt. He said that the noise was cutout by a lot, and driving the car is like driving a base C6. Very quiet and feels very Porsche like. I personaly think this is a good thing.

Exterior- What a presence this car has to it! The front end of the car combined with the HUGE grill, the hoodscoop, and the lights make this one of the sexiest and most exotic front ends I have ever seen. Yes, you heard me right, and I have seen many cars including exotics. The most similar front end to this car is the 360, and I persoanlly think this front end looks better than the 360 Modena. Looking at the car from the rear at eye level is just astonishing. The combiniation of the flared fenders hoovering over the 325's made this car look like it had wings and was ready to rip the pavement off the ground just sitting there. What a sight. Reminded me very much so of a Viper..in width terms (The Z is even wider by .7", imagine the stance of this monster) The side profile is impressive, but I did not get that excited as I did with the front and rear. Nontheless, it was awesome too.

Price- I asked him what the price is going to be, he said that nothing is set, but he thinks between 65K and 75K..so, nothing new there as far as pricing goes.

Engine- OMG. Looking at that 7.0 engine was orgasmic. The intake is HUGE..2x the size of the C5 Z06's. Just the whole motor, being the 7.0L, was an awesome sight. I didnt realize just how much bigger of a motor it was than a C5 Z06 until I saw it..WOW.
As far as the sound..well, I was not a big fan of the way it sounded, even when the flaps opened up above 3500 rpms. I don't know, maybe I am crazy, but it just didn't have any rumble to it, rather, it was more high pitched. Not my style, but nothing a simple cat-back syste can't change.

Now, the best for last...

Performance- He said a test driver at the proving grounds has lauched this thing from 0-60 in 3.5 secs and crossed the 1/4 in 11.5 secs. He stated that he has already gotten this beast to 185 mph on the freeway and claimed that it was still pulling at that mph and he felt that the car had a lot left to it. The car will be rated at 195-198 mph, but the car has already gone 202 mph at the test track :jawdrop:. The handeling and braking on this car is like nothing he has ever been in. I then had asked him if he has ever tested the SRT brakes and he said no, but he said this car was designed to beat the SRT-10 in every performance aspect. Then he started telling me about this special car that they are working on, and I told him I already know what you are talking about..The Blue Devil. He was weirded out that I knew about it..but little did he know, I probably know more about it than he does. LOL. He said there is such thing and will go into production. He said playing around with the boost on this car (So obviously this car will have a turbo), it was getting dynoed at 800 HP. :eek: This obviously wont be the production numbers (I don't think), but it is going to compete with the SUPER exotics.

Now, for the "Hmmm...is this guy ligit" part:

He said that they had a Ford GT, SRT-10, and the C6 Z06 out on I-75. They raced from a deadstop to about 100 mph. The Ford GT was only 1.5 cars ahead of the Z06 and the Z06 was a few cars ahead of the SRT. This came to me as odd. How do you just take $350K worth of cars, go out on any given expressway, come to a complete stop, and run them to 100 mph? :screwy: imo, he was just stretching the truth, but who knows...maybe he is right. What do you guys think?

Bottom line:

SAVE YOUR PENNIES..this is one of the BEST looking cars I have ever laid eyes on. Pics, or even at the autoshow do NOT do this car any justice at al. It even tops out one of my favorite looking cars of all time, the Viper GTS!! Anybody want to donate a few pennies to the Fadi foundation?..:lol:

p.s- oh, and btw, the car was blue and boy did it look AWESOME in that color!!..:cheers:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, let me get this straight.....GM has it's engineers testing Pre-production cars agains the competition out on public highways? I can see why they wouldn't want to use thier own private courses :NoNo:

·
Registered
296 Posts
ForceFedZ06 said:
Ok, let me get this straight.....GM has it's engineers testing Pre-production cars agains the competition out on public highways? I can see why they wouldn't want to use thier own private courses :NoNo:
If I work for GM and they happen to have both the SRT & Ford GT on hands, I would try to swing a little private test of my own. Nothing far-fetched there. The highways in the our parts of the country (aside from the left and right coasts) are pretty empty after midnight. People race on highways every weekend out here. No biggie here. The part that I don't believe is the 3.5 0~60mph time and the convenient 11.5 1/4 mile time. Just seemed too conveniently a round # to me.

Thanks for the great report, Zlicious! :coo:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Great Story :jammin: :jammin:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
roushraven said:
Thanks for the write-up, but I would say save it to a private file for future reference. A similar type thread (on CF) had to be edited for comment by the original poster because he reported the feedback his brother gave about his driving impressions of the car.
I saw that, how dumb imo.

Anyways, you better believe all the info I get is coming straight here on the Z06 forums.. :thumb:

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Why would they rate the car at 195-198 if it can go 202. Wouldnt they want the 200 number for publicity.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yogivette said:
Why would they rate the car at 195-198 if it can go 202. Wouldnt they want the 200 number for publicity.
I dont know..who knows what percentage of what he said is actually true..The only fact (Well, maybe not a fact) that I know is that this is one sexy looking machine :ity:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Damn Fadi great review....you had me taking my checkbook out already..... :thumb:

·
Registered
875 Posts
yogivette said:
Because to go 202 you need to "tape up the seams" using
racers or gaffers tape.. it lowers the Cd a very small amount
which is just enough to make it from 198 to 202. (I think I
made this public many months ago.. sorry if I didn't)

The 0-60 in 3.5 is totally plausible. With better tires and
assuming the driveline would handle the shock loads, you can
see WELL under 3.5 seconds. Qtr is 11.5-11.7 at 125-127

Somewhere in there.

FWIW, most all of what he said was true.. the only thing that
is a guess is the price.. which is still up in the air, and for
what it's worth engineers aren't privy to the beancounter
discussions. None of my contacts can give me a really
solid number on price yet - I've also posted some of the reasons
why they can't - things still aren't solidified yet on the LS7
valvetrain.

Jim

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Good info! Thanks. :coo:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Zlicious said:
Now, for the "Hmmm...is this guy ligit" part:

He said that they had a Ford GT, SRT-10, and the C6 Z06 out on I-75. They raced from a deadstop to about 100 mph. The Ford GT was only 1.5 cars ahead of the Z06 and the Z06 was a few cars ahead of the SRT. This came to me as odd. How do you just take $350K worth of cars, go out on any given expressway, come to a complete stop, and run them to 100 mph? :screwy: imo, he was just stretching the truth, but who knows...maybe he is right. What do you guys think?
This seams reasonable to me. I've come to a stop on the highway with two 200K+ cars on both sides of me. And another 500k behind me. and of course myself in the center prevailed. The only time I race locally is on the highway i refuse to do it in the streets. someone revs up and i'm willing ot race for whatever reason. i say lets go to the parkway and do it there. it's much safer, much less chance of getting caught, and much better chance of safely fleeing....at least for me.

sick writeup. i get more excited about this car every day. i can't wait till december. thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Jim thanks for the answer...sorry for the ignorance but what exactly is a valvetrain and what problem are they having with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts