Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving at 55 MPH on the highway last night when suddenly, oh look I'm sideways :eek: Gotta love the tires that are on our cars! I spun around through all 3 lanes and ended up on the curb right next to the side of the overpass! I looked to my left and noticed cars under me and got kind of nervous. I had to reverse it down the next exit since I was facing the wrong way and to my surprise not a single scratch. To say the least ANY time it rains, this car will be sitting in the garage! Sorry, I had to vent :roll:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I can relate! My experience wasn't as dramatic as yours, but it easily could have been.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
There have been several posts about the poor rain handling qualities of the tires. Can you say hydroplane? Its the tradeoff for having such a great dry weather tire.

Lets be careful out there.

Pat :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
milleniumZ said:
I am driving at 55 MPH on the highway last night when suddenly, oh look I'm sideways :eek: Gotta love the tires that are on our cars! I spun around through all 3 lanes and ended up on the curb right next to the side of the overpass!
:eek:
EXACTLY why I have a beater to drive on those days:D
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
We hadn't had rain for a month. We knew the first rain (last Sat) would make all the road oils rise to the top. Everybody took it slow, and made it okay.

We still need rain down here. Ten inches short for the year, and about forty inches short for the last three years :(

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Please, No snow,:mad: at least not yet! :( Used my 89 camry for the thunderstorms and drizzle this past weekend :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sounds kind of like my incident this weekend. Coming home around 12 am in the Z, doin 60mph on the traffic free highway. It wasnt raining anymore, Just sprinkling. I hit a puddle of water and the car did a violent "twitch" not breaking loose for long, but just a big slide then sudden re-gain of grip. So fast I didnt even react. Just held the wheel strong and straight. Scared the heck out of me. Im quite impressed with how well the Z06 performs in the rain. Much better than the 99 6spd couple we used to have. Some cases, the car WILL hook up in the rain without much slip at all. Just my $.02 :D

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, it was on. I did slide a little before it totally went sideways a while before that. What good is AH anyway when you are sideways at 50 MPH on water?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well I never fully trusted AH but my first impression was that your AH was off because it should help in most situation but in yours it did not. Your experience is a reminder to all of us to be very gentle on the pedals and steering wheel and to slow down when it's wet outside, even with AH on.

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Snow+Denver+Winter=Z06 in Garage!!! Glad to hear the spin did not cause any damage. :eek:

The SUV handles the winter load. (or should I say road.........) :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I see I'm not the only one who had a hard time this weekend with the rain, unfortunately I ended up sideways into 2 parked cars. :-?
I couldnt believe it I gave soo little throttle too. The car that was crashed was a '99 BMW M3 which I was going to be trading for a 2002/3 Z06 sometime next year.

Oh well after repairs are done I will be selling this car and in the mean time I am purchasing a VW Golf TDI (Front wheel drive) for my daily driver, as soon as I pay it off (Only $16K) I will save to put a downpayment on the Z06.

Consider yourself very lucky you didnt hit anything!! :) I will definitely not be driving my Z06 in the rain ever and I highly suggest you guys consider a cheap daily driver if you have a slightly heavy foot.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hmmm.
Not what I want to hear about my daily (and only) driver.

So far, I have noticed that the traction is better than my firebird was. I spun that more than once, and the only damage was to my psyche and a slightly dimpled rim.
I have yet to drive in real hard rain, but I will be taking care and driving careful.

You guys take it easy out there.
Maybe I will buy an old Jeep instead of garage (with a house) to put the vette in.......

chris

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tommy,
Where in the City can you go fast enough to hydroplane other than the West Side HWY? At least nobody was hurt. Glad both of you are o.k.

I had my 84' for 8 years before it saw any rain. My 02' Z will never see rain if I can help it. She is washed and covered in the garage after use, my neighbors think I am crazy.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
OUCH!!...

...glad you and your car are ok! That's stuff that will give you a good scare, if nothing else.

It's stories like these that make me thankful I live in a part of the country where there's not a _lot_ of precipitation. It's hot during the summers, but pretty darn dry.

As I speak, we're getting sleet here. :p

And to think once my Z comes in I'll have 3 worthless vehicles for rain duty, and a 4th (wife's Expy) that is marginal.

Some days its great to be self-employed and office out of the home.

Stay safe and DRY! :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
rain, what rain, and snow... What's snow??:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was actually in Queens coming back to the city. I was on a two way street, one lane each way, and a guy in my lane was slowing down to double park or wait for somebody. I turned to go around him and gave some gas but in no means did I floor it, the car just comepletely lost it, I tried regaining control by adjusting the speed and steering instead of just hitting the brakes but the car just started going sideways and went into a spin. Maybe next time I should just hit the brakes but I always thought that was the wrong thing to do, maybe it would have helped here.

Oh well live and learn, I will be extra careful in any rain from now on.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts