Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Gran Turismo 3?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  VPRKLLR 
#1 ·
Anyone get it yet? I dropped five bills today on a PS2, Logitech Force feed back wheel, and some other crap.

I've been working on licensing so far. I have managed to drive the Z06, its pretty good, doesn't sound quite right (too much to hope for) and it pushes a lot more than it should.

SO far I give it a thumbs up, but I'll let you all know more towards the end of the weekend.

#2 ·
Damn thing is awesome isn't it!!
Just played for a few hours last night and didn't hook up steering wheel yet.
The background, sun, rubber on apex, etc.. make this game awesome.
When I sit real close to my 32 inch digital TV and put it on 1st person you almost feel like you are there.
Truly amazing!!

#3 ·
AWESOME game.. Daughter made me start off with the PT Cruiser.. Mistake! Ended up selling that after modding it all to hell, and now have a turbocharged miata pushing 295hp. Got the B and A licenses.. Still trying to make enough money to get a real car. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I have a Pioneer Elite 58" HDTV (widescreen) -- and was relieved to see this game has a 16:9 mode!! It's SOOO awesome.. See much more around you.

I *love* the odometer feature, and it's cool when you get a turbo they throw a boost gauge in with the other gauges..

Favorite track??? SEATTLE, baby!!! (No, I don't live there.. heh)

#4 ·
Wow, I've got this little shit box toyota and I've been winning everything I run in with it.

From previous game experience, don't bother modding the first car, you'll just waste your cash. Race it as much as you can until you're not winning any more and then sell it off and buy a better car.

Also, if you go and win every race in a series, you'll get a free car - in the lower ranks, they're shitboxes, in the faster races you get some pretty badass cars.

#5 ·
I have been playing non-stop since I got it yesterday. Right now I am staying in Arcade mode, which allows you to drive the z06 and the c5r. The z06 definitely doesn't sound like the real thing, doesn't quite handle like the real thing, but still is fun to drive. I noticed they forgot to paint the calipers red on the car selection screen, but that is minor. The c5r is a blast to drive. That car runs fast and hard.

And, of course, it all looks stunning. The graphics are simply the best. To get the best effect move about 25-35 feet away while watching a replay, it looks like a tv broadcast of real racing.

The AI is a little simple. I noticed it uses "rubber-band" driving extensively. As in, if far behind, boost speed to close in, when close in, moderate speed around human opponent's. Keeps the competition white-knuckled, at least.

#9 ·

On 2001-07-13 13:21, SteveYelloZ06 spewed forth this drivel:
Does anyone know if there is an online source that I can get GT-3 from? The stores are sold out. Thank You
go to www.shopamex.com and it will bring up a bunch of stores and availability. Also, if you use your Amex card, shipping is free. You can even use your membership reward points to buy something. It is by far the best site to get your online goods and I am not just saying that because I was the lead engineer on the project ;o-) I got a copy yesterday night from Outpost and I just checked and about 3 stores report that it is in stock. Happy shopping.

#11 ·
I am trying to earn enough for the ZO6!!!
Am 5% complete of game currently.
EVO VI is helping me kick some butt currently.

#12 ·
I started with a Miata I mod'd up. Now I have a max'd out Z06 and a max'd out Supra. I'm about to build a Viper or maybe an NSX. The Supra is VERY fast at the top end but takes a while to get the boost really going.

One of the best mods you can do is tires. I have the softest tires on mine, except when the race is 5 laps. They only last about 4.

#13 ·
Actually - the 16:9 only works for arcade mode, when you play 2 player.. and it make's the 2 view area's side by side.. and to small to use, I use 4:3 mode even on my 64" version of your TV. The 16X9 mode has no affect on the non arcade modes, only the 2 player arcade mode...

On 2001-07-12 09:16, dimer0 spewed forth this drivel:
I have a Pioneer Elite 58" HDTV (widescreen) -- and was relieved to see this game has a 16:9 mode!! It's SOOO awesome.. See much more around you.

#14 ·
I think they did a hell of a job with the Zo6, if you take it to the test track, it will max out at 173 (which is accurate) if the car shifts into 6th gear, it will also start to slow (again, very accurate).. it is also the best car that you can get for your 53,000 credits.. the Viper is crazy cost performance wise (like real life /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) I have been using the Z06 ever since I sold my Mazda... have been winning all the races stock in beginner mode... N/A area, and stars and stripes where great money...

#15 ·
Got my Vette to 811 HP and a top speed of 249.3 which could probably be improved slightly (Haven't played with gears and suspension parts), but I started out with a Miata and rocked a few tournaments to get enough for the Vette then it was lights out, I have won about 50 out of 55 races with my Vette which enabled me to buy a Viper which my brother forced me to buy and also a Bettle for certain tourneys and a few more goodies.....

#16 ·
Nelson,

Yes, it does indeed make a difference.. Nothing THAT major - but it does. If you read the manual, you'll see that setting it to 16:9 fixes the aspect ratios of the cars AND the gauges.. Those are REALLY noticable.. Set it to 4:3, the speedo takes up half the screen and isn't circular.. 16:9, only about 1/4 the screen, perfect circle.

I finally crossed what I consider the 'hump' in the game.. I beat the series event all the way on the right in beginner's circuit, where you're going against all those rally cars.. 670hp Z06 did it finally.. By the time I was done with that, I had $140,000 that I didn't know what to do with. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

On 2001-07-16 17:06, Nelson spewed forth this drivel:
Actually - the 16:9 only works for arcade mode, when you play 2 player.. and it make's the 2 view area's side by side.. and to small to use, I use 4:3 mode even on my 64" version of your TV. The 16X9 mode has no affect on the non arcade modes, only the 2 player arcade mode...

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD>Quote:</font><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR><TR><TD><BLOCKQUOTE><B>
On 2001-07-12 09:16, dimer0 spewed forth this drivel:

</B></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR></TABLE>

#17 ·
OK guys, you need to buy the 3000GT VR4 and mod the hell out of it. I have about 1070HP after making my mods. After winning some of the easier series races in Professional, then buy the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peaks. I think it's 1,000,000 credits. Put some stickies on it and you will be able to trounce ANY car on the game.

#18 ·
great - I will have to switch it back to see if it is worthwile...

we have a hard time in VS mode during a 16X9... the screen is just to small (granted large by size, but small for what you are used to)...

I will be using both the TV inputs and splitting the screen down the middle for a I-link battle soon.

On 2001-07-16 21:54, dimer0 spewed forth this drivel:
Nelson,

Yes, it does indeed make a difference.. Nothing THAT major - but it does. If you read the manual, you'll see that setting it to 16:9 fixes the aspect ratios of the cars AND the gauges.. Those are REALLY noticable.. Set it to 4:3, the speedo takes up half the screen and isn't circular.. 16:9, only about 1/4 the screen, perfect circle.

#19 ·
Yes the game is moving along nicely. Trying to complete all of begineer level first.
My evo IV even with just 500 hp really kicks butt.
The ZO6 is a blast but is gettting out of control.
Trying to finish all of beg. and am. level first then license for later races.
Otherwise you get no real challenge coming back and playing lower levels for minimal cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.