Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in a group buy for 3.73 gears (whole carrier) for $1600. We need about 8 more for the minimum. Post a reply and contact Dave at Cartek in N.J.
(908) 654-9993 --- (908) 317-4496
http://www.cartek.net/
Don't email Dave there swamped with emails.
Thanks, EDGZ06

·
Registered
119 Posts
What would 3.73's shave off in the quarter?

Also, would it be possible to pull in 6th with 3.73's? If not how about 3.91's(I think it's ~3.91)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3.90's although advertised, have never become available. Release date still unknown. #.73's should shave off approx. 3 tenths. 12.2 in the quarter instead of 12.5. This depends on the drivers ability to maximize the gears (hook-up). It will pull harder in sixth but top speed is still in fifth.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm not convinced that higher ratio axle would reduce 1/4 mile times. Yes you'll get more torque multiplication at the wheels, but you'll run out of each gear quicker. In fact it might make your times worse because you might have more trouble hooking up in 1st with all the extra torque.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 3.73 will definitely give it some added oomph in all gears but there are some disdvantages to it:

1. Top speed will be limited to ~160 mph at redline in 5th. This, of course, may be of no relevance to most of us beyond the realm of bragging rights. 6th gear will still be too tall (equivalent to a 0.61:1 with the 3.42 rear) for any meaningful acceleration beyond 160 mph.

2. 100 mph will require a shift to 4th.

on the upside, it should net a 2 tenths (maybe 0.3) gain in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To maximize your 1/4 mile time your goal is to cross the finish line as close to redline in fourth gear.These gears will increase you finishline r.p.m. in fourth as well as get you into your powerband quicker in first. After going to the track with my Z06 I can say there was no tirespin at all launching at 2200 rpm's. The key is to not shock the tires. If you rev up the motor and dump the clutch then you would be right. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts